rllmuk
djbhammer

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare

I watched some of the Twitch streamers play this last night. I can’t say it done much for me and Shroud didn’t seem to be overly fussed on it either. The Battle Royale juggernaut is still in vogue and it’s hard to see that changing any time soon. All other bases are covered with CS:GO, Battlefield, Siege, Overwatch etc so I’m not sure where Modern Warfare fits in anymore. There’s been far too many mistakes with the CoD games in recent years with paid for map packs and poor implementation of ‘loot boxes’. 

I watched some of it. I’ll still probably jump in, but was nonplussed about that 2V2 mode they showcased, that looks to get old after a nights play as they have distilled CoD down to almost the simplicity of rock /paperback/scissors on tiny maps.

Saw an interview were the devs were discussing individual gun recoil patterns. Was hoping for CSGO type expert knowledge affair. 

Watched the latest reveals and it just looks the same point and 4 bullets to drop. Glad it’s gone boots on the ground but all I want is back to a skill based game. 

Problem is after PUBG and Apex TDM just seems a pointless affair now and that’s all I used to play. @RickyDVT was discussing this before. 

Its been a slow slow decline when they started offering unlock anything from them off. Working your way back up to your favourite weapons and attachments kept me hooked after a prestige. 

Im done with shit characters, day glo unicorn guns, and pay to win mechanics. All leaves a bitter taste tbh and such a far removal of what made this series great. Guess they're trying to get that back.

I’ll purchase retail so I can flip In case the love affair is over, and even before I press start I think it is. 

• Upvote 2

There are a lot of positives:

- Cross play between ps4 xbox and PC. If you're on console you can remove PC players if you want

- No more battle pass bullshit. Everyone will get all the maps so there wont be a split in the community

- The pick 10 system is gone and they've gone with the focus on gunsmith where you have over 60 attachments per gun to customize your load out

- The graphics seem much improved with a brand new engine

- 20 vs. 20, 10 vs. 10, 6 vs. 6, and 2 vs. 2 options with a variety of maps for all modes. And apparently there is a ground war option with 100 players

- The audio seems amazing.  And the guns have proper recoil.

A couple of things I'm uncertain on:

- The removal of the minimap. Not sure why

- No more scorestreaks. Back to killstreaks like the old days. Which means people are going to be less incentivised to play the objective and there might be some camping.

Still I'm psyched. But I do say that every year...

15 hours ago, Omizzay said:

There are a lot of positives:

- Cross play between ps4 xbox and PC. If you're on console you can remove PC players if you want

- No more battle pass bullshit. Everyone will get all the maps so there wont be a split in the community

- The pick 10 system is gone and they've gone with the focus on gunsmith where you have over 60 attachments per gun to customize your load out

- The graphics seem much improved with a brand new engine

- 20 vs. 20, 10 vs. 10, 6 vs. 6, and 2 vs. 2 options with a variety of maps for all modes. And apparently there is a ground war option with 100 players

- The audio seems amazing.  And the guns have proper recoil.

A couple of things I'm uncertain on:

- The removal of the minimap. Not sure why

- No more scorestreaks. Back to killstreaks like the old days. Which means people are going to be less incentivised to play the objective and there might be some camping.

Still I'm psyched. But I do say that every year...

The Eurogamer article makes a very clear point that the Devs are being deliberately evasive about microtransactions. All the soundbites are present and correct about listening to the fans and being gamers themselves and blah blah blah but if the paymasters want their cut they're going to crowbar it in any way they can.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-07-01-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-multiplayer-feels-fantastic-but-theres-cause-for-concern

5 minutes ago, pledge said:

Even if they are not there day one Activision are starting a trend of adding them in later.

The insidious nature of letting the scores from reviews settle and then micro transactioning the fuck out of the game is absolute garbage.

• Upvote 1

Worst thing for me is that the game actually looks semi-serious, yet when those mtx come out everyone's wearing a fucking unicorn helmet and wielding a pink glitter gun.

On 19/08/2019 at 20:38, Fargo said:

The 2 v 2 mode is playable on PS4 this weekend apparently. 

https://blog.activision.com/call-of-duty/2019-08/Announcement-Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-PlayStation-4-2v2-Alpha-Rolls-out?cid=cem_19mwalpha

Available to preload later on today apparently. I’ll give it a go, though I think like most my interest in Call of Duty has simmered massively over the years(the fact this topic is only two pages is telling, ten years ago we’d all be hyped!). 

Im quite excited for this. First time i have said that for a COD game in about 10 years. 

Jackfrags (one of the biggest Battlefield youtube people and not a CoD man) loved the time he spent with it. 

• Upvote 1

It'll be interesting to see how they inevitably fuck it up once it's released. The cycle's always the same. Beta seems promising, first couple of weeks are ace, then a slow decline into imbalances and shitty microtransactions. There was an article kicking about today about a loot crate only gun that's needed ANOTHER nerf because it's so bent.

• Upvote 1

I know it’s early days but this is really good. I loved the original MW games, the second in particular, but never warmed to black ops etc. This feels like a return to form. 

I just want a decent team based shooter. I've tried all the main Battle Royale style games and been left cold. I won Apex once while away from the computer feeding my baby for gods sake. I don't understand the fascination.

I wish somebody would just make something akin to Unreal Tournament Black again.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to lose days of my life to this once it's released. It's fantastic. It nails that one more round gameplay. There's so many nice touches, the feel of the weapons, the sound effects and ambient music, the animations. It's brilliant. 

Not a lot of love for this? It's one of the best games I've played this year. The gunplay is excellent, the emphasis on a variety of skills is great and time pressure on top of that is really exhilierating too.

• Upvote 1

The difference between normal gunfight and OSP is surprising too, as they both have different tactical elements. 

I wish there was was a compass though and a ping system. “There’s a baddie over there” only gets you so far. You can get around it, and I understand why there isn’t, it’s just preference (especially with randoms) 

33 minutes ago, smithstock said:

Not a lot of love for this? It's one of the best games I've played this year. The gunplay is excellent, the emphasis on a variety of skills is great and time pressure on top of that is really exhilierating too.

It's going to be very different in tdm to gun game when you've got 12 people running around and getting shot from all corners and whatnot. Apparently they've done away with the '3 lane' map design too.

Fundamentals are pretty great though.

On 23/08/2019 at 00:21, gooner4life said:

The 2v2 thing is fucking amazing, seriously the best shooter I’ve played this generation and it’s only an alpha.

You still can’t lean (mounting isn’t the same) and there’s bunnyhopping and head glitching.

It might be the best shooter you’ve played this gen, but until those issues are sorted Siege is superior. 

The gun animations are gorgeous though.