rllmuk
James Lyon

Songs that make you laugh

What comedy songs do you like? Any that are great tunes in their own right that don't just rely on the video for laughs?  Comedy bands allowed but bonus points if they're 'proper' songs with an amusing turn of phrase.

Some of the ones I like:

A great song I only just discovered last year. The earnest chorus slays me:

Here's that serious band making something amusing point. Mozza's sarcastic laugh singing always raises a smile:

Plenty from The Lonely Island but I like this one particularly:

And one of the classics. I think Meaning of Life has the best run of good Python songs out of all their stuff. The galaxy song is another favourite:

• Upvote 1

This very foul-mouthed children's story crossed with something like a Hieronymous Bosch painting:

and lots else from that album.

Oh go on I have to do my other fave actually. Also incredibly foul-mouthed, I guess it's a pisstake of Sunshine really.

More of a traditional song, from another Shrigley project. 

Mr Slater's Parrot

• Upvote 1

I've posted this elsewhere before, but it deserves to be here. I'm not usually one for stuff that's "so bad it's good", but this is an exception:

• Upvote 1

So many Marc Rebillet songs that fit this thread (and so hard to pick out some half remembered ones from whatever live improv) but this Fashion Week extravaganza is ace

Never come across Comedy Bang Bang before and I only just heard this but I thought this was hilariously puerile. It's in the way he angrily goes through the chorus.

• Upvote 2

Haha, I didn't know they'd made a video version of Monster Fuck.

Loads of the Bonzos and Viv Stanshall stuff is wonderful, e.g.

Annoyingly YouTube doesn't seem to have a good quality version of Neil Innes's 'Down That Road' from The Innes Book of Records (it's a - pretty much - straightly performed song with an incredible developing visual gag in the video).

This gets a lot of play around here.

• Upvote 1

When I was about 5 we had this Springields song on vinyl, and every time Dusty sings "Wimoweh" me, my brother and sister would spin on the spot. The only lyric is Wimoweh so half way through the song you'd be on the floor dizzy and crying with laughter. 

It's the single happiest memory from my childhood and still makes me laugh even now.

• Upvote 1

I first learnt about The Rubberbandits after watching Trainspotting 2. I think this is my current favourite of theirs:

And a couple from George Dawes:

• Upvote 2

On 09/07/2019 at 12:23, James Lyon said:

And a couple from George Dawes:

I'd add this one as well...

• Upvote 1

We saw Alex Cameron at Green Man last year and became hooked:

https://open.spotify.com/embed/album/6y9QkSGMnFRJRbKzh0j91A

You have to listen to the lyrics, it's a subtle comedy, but he's playing this sort of deeply flawed character. I won't explain or point out where it's funny, but "True Lies" is the one that had us giggling. But it's also a cracking album.

A brilliant song with great wit running throughout. Love the tonal shifts throughout, plus the thought of Prince getting into a bubble bath wearing his pants with Dorothy Parker always makes me smile