Elden Ring - E3 2021 Trailer in First Post

Broker

• 3 months later...

We've known this game was called Elden Ring for a year now, officially, right? E3 2019?

You'd think, in all that time, I'd have remembered before today that the name "Elden" is my youngest's middle name. But no. Instead I've been seeing "Elden Ring" and going "what a weird title". 

27 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

We've known this game was called Elden Ring for a year now, officially, right? E3 2019?

You'd think, in all that time, I'd have remembered before today that the name "Elden" is my youngest's middle name. But no. Instead I've been seeing "Elden Ring" and going "what a weird title". 

You plague-ridden rat!

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

Is the upcoming MS show first party only, or is there any chance this could make an appearance?

Not first party only, but From suffered major delays due to COVID apparently and I've read that we might not see the game at all this year. Fingers crossed. This is my most anticipated reveal.

I wouldn't worry about the quality too much. From is on a mighty streak and that insider who gave some hints as to what to expect on Era says it has a good shot at being their best game yet. It might just be further away than we thought. Good title for next-gen consoles then.

1 minute ago, Broker said:

Oh yeah, I don't mean quality. I mean I don't think it bodes well for how soon we will be able to play it.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping for end of this year or early 2021, but that seems off the table.

• 4 months later...

I have this aching feeling Microsoft have secured some kind of exclusivity with Elden Ring. The word 'ambitious' keeps cropping up around the game too, I wonder if it goes even deeper into traditional RPG mechanics with dialogue trees and skill checks.

(though in truth when I see the something described as ambitious I always secretly wish it to be deep world simulation with deformation and environmental destruction)

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I have this aching feeling Microsoft have secured some kind of exclusivity with Elden Ring. The word 'ambitious' keeps cropping up around the game too, I wonder if it goes even deeper into traditional RPG mechanics with dialogue trees and skill checks.

(though in truth when I see the something described as ambitious I always secretly wish it to be deep world simulation with deformation and environmental destruction)

My impression is that Microsoft doesn't buy exclusivity on a single game nowadays, timed or otherwise*. Sony still do, like with Godfall. I think it's most likely a co-marketing deal, ie the game will be advertised for and shown off on Xbox. But still launch simultaneously on all platforms.

*Instead they buy entire studios and publishers. But afaik From Software is owned by a big Japanese media conglomerate and I don't see it happening. I suspect PS5 players don't need to worry.

Edit: just remembered that the next gen version of Yakuza 7 is a timed XsX exclusive! Never mind then, yeah Elden Ring could turn out to be a timed exclusive.

18 minutes ago, Broker said:

Interesting timing with Microsoft saying they’re looking to acquire Japanese Studios. None of their purchases so far have interested me much but if they managed to buy From it would sell me an Xbox immediately. 

If that happens I wonder if Sony would go ahead with continuing the Demon's Souls series without From. The remaster was already handled by someone else and who knows, at some point Bluepoint might be interested in making an entirely new thing. I wonder how a Souls without From would be... the idea feels wrong somehow. But we're getting ahead of ourselves, god knows who Microsoft has in mind. From seens like a good fit historically - one of the few Japanese devs that always made exclusives right from the start for them* - but it's already part of some huge Japanese media conglomerate, so it's maybe not likely.

Imagine Avowed (open world from Obsidian), Elder Scrolls, and Elden Ring all on Xbox though. It would be the definitive console for RPG nerds like me.

Edit: the above list is also very exciting to me because they're all open world fantasy RPGs and yet each company's approach and design philosophy couldn't be more different. They will hopefully all be brilliant, but you can already definitely say with complete certainty that they're going to be completely different from each other.

*Otogi and Metal Wolf on Xbox, Chrome Hounds and Ninja Blade on 360 to name a few

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Buying From would be a serious game changer, not sure it’s something they’d (From) want to be tied down with though?

If I could only buy one of the big two consoles, From exclusivity would definitely be a big factor for me. Bethesda, even though I'm a huge fan of Arkane, far less so. But I go wherever From goes.

Either way, just show us moar Elden Ring soon plz :( And when we can expect the game, even if it's just a year that they can name.