Jump to content

Elden Ring - E3 2021 Trailer in First Post


Broker
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Benny said:

I can't imagine a marketing team in the world that has a cushier and easier job than the one that has to sell people Elden Ring.

You are probably right, but people in suits will still be shitting themselves over the fact its a new IP and not a sequel. And this game probably needs to shift a fair few copies to break even.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here’s yer official lore:

 

The Golden Order has been broken.

 

Rise, Tarnished, and be guided by grace to brandish the power of the Elden Ring and become an Elden Lord in the Lands Between. 

 

In the Lands Between ruled by Queen Marika the Eternal, the Elden Ring, the source of the Erdtree, has been shattered.

 

Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.

 

And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring. 

 

And become the Elden Lord.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

You are probably right, but people in suits will still be shitting themselves over the fact its a new IP and not a sequel. And this game probably needs to shift a fair few copies to break even.

 

Sekiro sold 2m copies, despite being an uncompromisingly hard boss rush in a new and completely untested series. From's fanbase won't need much encouragement to buy this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Here’s yer official lore:

 

The Golden Order has been broken.

 

Rise, Tarnished, and be guided by grace to brandish the power of the Elden Ring and become an Elden Lord in the Lands Between. 

 

In the Lands Between ruled by Queen Marika the Eternal, the Elden Ring, the source of the Erdtree, has been shattered.

 

Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.

 

And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring. 

 

And become the Elden Lord.


 

“Alexa: Make up a new plot for a From Software game”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, K said:

Sekiro sold 2m copies, despite being an uncompromisingly hard boss rush in a new and completely untested series. From's fanbase won't need much encouragement to buy this.

That's great, but I can imagine even 2 million copies isn't enough for a game of this size. Open world games pump the budget up by a fair margin, if GTA and the Witcher are anything to go by.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

That's great, but I can imagine even 2 million copies isn't enough for a game of this size. Open world games pump the budget up by a fair margin, if GTA and the Witcher are anything to go by.

 

The trailer is already on 3,877,000 cumulative views across various prominent YT channels (Bamco, PS, Xbox, IGN etc) after a matter of hours. Fucknows what sorta traction it’s had on other platforms such as Twitch and them. All the various “reaction” videos I could see on YT were in the 10’s of 1000’s too. It’s gonna be massive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having watched the trailer, it does make me wonder why it isn't a Souls game. They don't look to be doing anything radically different in terms of story or setting, and it looks really, really, like the previous games in the series in terms of aesthetic.

 

Maybe the full game will reveal something that means they couldn't have set it in the same milieu, but it seems slightly odd to create a new IP that's so similar to your old one, especially given that it's being published by the same company anyway.

 

Looks great as well, obviously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe they just wanted a clean slate for all the world lore and story, especially with the George R R Martin involvement.

 

Oh, you've pretty much said that too. 

Edited by Ran
Didn't read properly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, K said:

Having watched the trailer, it does make me wonder why it isn't a Souls game. They don't look to be doing anything radically different in terms of story or setting, and it looks really, really, like the previous games in the series in terms of aesthetic.

 

Maybe the full game will reveal something that means they couldn't have set it in the same milieu, but it seems slightly odd to create a new IP that's so similar to your old one, especially given that it's being published by the same company anyway.

 

Looks great as well, obviously.

 

It could also be that they want to keep the 'Souls' games very specifically in their metroidvania milieu, and avoid anything like the open world trappings* encroaching on them; allows them to return to Souls as a 'purer' exercise in future.

 

Or it could just be because they're emphasising their new, GRRM-lore-led setting, even if it touches on many similar elements to the Souls setting.

 

* which I sincerely hope are more in the empty, evocative expanses approach of SOTC/MGS:PP rather than the overly busy (and busywork-heavy) approaches more common in modern open worlds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, there are plenty of reasons I guess. I was probably expecting them to do what they did with Bloodborne, and make a sideways move to a look that's clearly related to the Souls aesthetic, but is equally clearly its own thing. In an ideal world I would have liked them to do something fresh(again, like Bloodborne), but I can hardly complain about the Souls look given that I love all the games in the series, and it's not like there wasn't plenty of variation and innovation in DS 1 - 3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Yeah, I guess this is more of a publisher thing. Marketing/sales will have probably battled Fromsoftware to make the 'protagonist' larger, looking at you directly, with weapons drawn. What we see is probably the compromise.

 

[edit] Actually, I'm more anxious that there isn't PS5 box art. Does this mean there will only be a PS4 version with a PS5 update?

 

 

Elden%20Ring%20PS5.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, K said:

Having watched the trailer, it does make me wonder why it isn't a Souls game. They don't look to be doing anything radically different in terms of story or setting, and it looks really, really, like the previous games in the series in terms of aesthetic.

 

Maybe the full game will reveal something that means they couldn't have set it in the same milieu, but it seems slightly odd to create a new IP that's so similar to your old one, especially given that it's being published by the same company anyway.

 

Looks great as well, obviously.


I’d like to think that they’re still being cagey about gameplay systems - Sekiro’s trailer showed off the revival mechanic and the grapple, but it ended up having no co-op/invasions (at least not before the patch introduced multiplayer elements), no bloodstains or messages, no stamina (there’s posture, but I think that’s a false equivalence), no weapon durability, no alternate primary weapons (there were the shinobi tools, but you always had the same sword), no armour customisation stuff, no equip load management, minimal stat management (increasing attack power when you’re able, or vitality/posture, but little more)… Things like this don’t matter as much to other people I guess, but my point is that there’s a lot we don’t know about the gameplay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what brief things I've read (mostly here) I reckon this is going to be a lot like Demon Souls (go to any level you like) except the Nexus in Elden Ring is the open world part. Traverse the open world to a new level to get your arse handed to you, then try another level and it could work like a mix and match.

 

I reckon the horse will need to prepare to die too, it wouldn't surprise me if each horse suffers a permadeath and you have to get another one. 

 

I'm hoping this is nothing like Sekiro really, its the only one I've returned to and not liked it again.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Seeing this trailer has killed any enthusiasm I had for playing any other game I own 😳

 

This has been my problem since getting into Bloodborne and then playing the Souls games - other action adventure games just don't measure up to me now, apart from Zelda series I suppose.

 

I think the common ground with both is that they don't have stupid amounts of story or exposition, and the character you play does not talk, therefore doesn't have to engage in pointless dialogue with other characters. I avoided the Witcher for this very reason.

 

I also like the fact the From games don't have a map, you really have to use your brain. Given the size of Elden Ring, I wonder if there will be a map though? Maybe just for the open world, but not for the levels/dungeons whatever that you play inside of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

I’d guess that part of it will be that they’ve taken the world of Souls to its conclusion. DS3 ends at the end of time, with everyone in the world dead. Whilst you can have an ending where a new world is created, at that point it easily could be the world of Elden Ring, because there’s nothing to say anything about what that place would be like.

 

I get why if it’s similar to Dark Souls people would wonder why it’s not called 4, but equally outside of marketing reasons I don’t see why it would be called that. John Woo movies are basically all the same aesthetically but nobody asks why his next movie isn’t called Hard Boiled XII. It’s a different story so it has a different name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

I’d guess that part of it will be that they’ve taken the world of Soups to its conclusion.

 

I now want to see From Software's take on minestrone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.