Elden Ring - E3 2021 Trailer in First Post

Broker

9 hours ago, dug said:

Obviously it looks really Soulsy, but there were also bits that I thought looked Bloodborney and bits that looked Sekiroey. This is shaping up to be a monster mash of all From's best bits. I am somewhat pumped.

I’ve been pushing “SoulsbornekiroRing” for more than a year now ;) 

Re-reading Berserk recently, it's come into even sharper focus how fortunate Miyazaki and FROM are not to have been sued into oblivion over the years. It's not just that they literally steal countless designs without making any changes. Thematically, there's also so much brilliant stuff in Souls that Miyazaki simply didn't come up with. He robbed it from Miura and got away with it. 

Which is great because Miura didn't make games. 

Long may it continue with Elden Ring!

Looks whopper! Day One 

I just hope it doesn’t have the crushing difficulty of Sekiro. And that if it does, the option of summoning help or some similar mechanic is available. 

Just now, Fargo said:

Looks whopper! Day One 

I just hope it doesn’t have the crushing difficulty of Sekiro. And that if it does, the option of summoning help or some similar mechanic is available. 

That's where I'm at right now. Love me some Souls, but Sekiro was way too difficult for me. If Elden Ring is as difficult as Sekiro, then it's literally impossible to play for me. This trailer looks great but until I know more about this, my hype levels are kept firmly in check.

8 hours ago, df0 said:

I really hope it’s a combination of The Witcher 3 in terms of world building and Souls for bosses.

I really doubt it will be as dialogue heavy as The Witcher. Or as juvenile and poorly written. 

41 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Re-reading Berserk recently, it's come into even sharper focus how fortunate Miyazaki and FROM are not to have been sued into oblivion over the years. It's not just that they literally steal countless designs without making any changes. Thematically, there's also so much brilliant stuff in Souls that Miyazaki simply didn't come up with. He robbed it from Miura and got away with it. 

And never will now :(

I wonder if they’ll start struggling a bit for designs and theme now there’s no more Berserk. The giant tree in this, whilst people seem to think it’s based on Yggdrasil, is clearly actually based on the world spiral tree. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see something similar to falconia in this. But at that point he’s used most of the designs from the series to some degree and there’s no more coming :( 

54 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Long may it continue with Elden Ring!

Detailing the thread slightly, but how have you been reading Berserk - digitally, or have you been picking up the hardbacks? I want to start reading it but I can only find the (expensive) physical copies on Amazon, or similarly expensive digital versions on Comixology.

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Detailing the thread slightly, but how have you been reading Berserk - digitally, or have you been picking up the hardbacks? I want to start reading it but I can only find the (expensive) physical copies on Amazon, or similarly expensive digital versions on Comixology.

Fwiw on Comixology they tend to go on sale regularly. It's still expensive due to the sheer amount of volumes, but I recommend trying the first 5 to 7 volumes to begin with during a sale.

Most likely you'll be hooked after that and price will not be a factor anymore :lol:

Just now, Broker said:

DCFA1F9B-E1EA-4BDE-A25D-C2D6361E3DFA.thumb.jpeg.9cacae97399311f5a265a702bd4645d6.jpeg

If you want to read ANY manga, and you can’t find a book of it cheaply, just type “read [series name] online” into Google.

I think there's also some kind of archive on the internet somewhere

I should note that after reading Berserk online for free I bought books of it and read it that way the second (and third and fourth etc) times I read through it. 

6 minutes ago, Broker said:

I should note that after reading Berserk online for free I bought books of it and read it that way the second (and third and fourth etc) times I read through it. 

Same here. Bought it digital and now considering those fancy hardcover omnibuses. Goes to show how awesome it is.

16 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I’ve been sporadically buying the Deluxe Editions brand new for about £25 each from a variety of online shops. I just Google the volume I’m after, click on the shopping tab results, find the cheapest stockist then order :hat: 

Book Depository, Zatu Games, OnBuy and Amazon have all had various volumes for about that amount at various times.

Just buy the deluxe editions. It's such a high quality format and it has a ribbon in every book. 

A bloody ribbon. You don't usually get that for £25. 

Anyway Iove that trailer but I suck at these games.   Damn my ageing skills. 

35 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I have to be honest, I downloaded a massive torrent of scans to read them on my tablet. I did buy some of the standard books but the paper quality and folds were vastly inferior to the scans. I have one of the hardbacks and it's much better but I still prefer scans on my tablet, I'm constantly pausing to zoom in on the details! 

37 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Whatever you do,don’t be a cunt and pirate it, Berserk deserves to be read in the best possible format which for this series is the gorgeous hardcovers.

The books aren’t even that expensive when you consider how lovely they are to read and how well made they are.

9 hours ago, Mike S said:

My word.

That looks incredible.

Also, 'they will fight, and they will die'. Damn fucking right we will!

Date of what?

The game release date : 21/01/2022

I'm no watcher of the show, but the trailer looked pure Miyazaki, so what input was seen visually from this R.R.R.R.R. Tolkien bloke?

I'm hoping this doesn't have crazy dialogue sections and story exposition that he's thrown in there

1 minute ago, englishbob said:

The game release date : 21/01/2022

I'm no watcher of the show, but the trailer looked pure Miyazaki, so what input was seen visually from this R.R.R.R.R. Tolkien bloke?

I'm hoping this doesn't have crazy dialogue sections and story exposition that he's thrown in there

He's just responsible for the background lore and some world-building aspects. I don't think he's written any dialogue or cutscenes for it.

Thanks all re. the Berserk chat. Unfortunately, I don't really have the room for lots and lots of hardback versions, lovely as they are, so I'll check out the first digital volume when it's on sale. :hat:

3 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

He's just responsible for the background lore and some world-building aspects. I don't think he's written any dialogue or cutscenes for it.

So he’s done all of the item descriptions? ;) 

7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Looks great. Will be interesting to see how different the new mechanics make it from Souls. Stylistically, it looks very similar, but that's never been an issue.

And it had better be 60fps on PS5!

On Xbox One version everywhere is just Blight Town