IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

14 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

It might be located out in the lands beyond the fog where the Tarnished were roaming before they come back to the lands between. 

I think..

Spoiler

Given that its fiery status seems to mirror that of the Erdtree..  I'd say it's inside there. 

7 hours ago, robdood said:

I think..

Reveal hidden contents

Given that its fiery status seems to mirror that of the Erdtree..  I'd say it's inside there. 

I think this is right. 

Spoiler

You know how when you defeat a boss they remain as a remembrance, 'hewn into the Erdtree'? I reckon the Roundtable Hold that we can access is just such a remembrance, a memory held somewhere deep within the consciousness of the Erdtree, of the glory days of Godfrey and his army of the Roundtable, who would later go on to become the Tarnished. And so when the Erdtree starts to burn, its memories burn with it. 

It's a cool concept, pulled off to slightly greater effect in Bloodborne IMO. 

One of my fave music youtubers Alex Moukala, has done a nice Elden Ring-inspired bit:

Darksynth and French house were my faves :D

Late-game question:

Spoiler

To get Miquella's needle do I have to beat Malenia?

Also did I give Miquella's needle to Millicent earlier in the game to 'cure' her? I don't remember.

I don't want to carry on past the fire giant until I have the needle but if I have to beat Malenia first that's bad times!

38 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Late-game question:

Hide contents

To get Miquella's needle do I have to beat Malenia?

Also did I give Miquella's needle to Millicent earlier in the game to 'cure' her? I don't remember.

I don't want to carry on past the fire giant until I have the needle but if I have to beat Malenia first that's bad times!

Yes basically. You also need to help Millicent to get it

On 18/05/2022 at 13:29, Hawklord said:

I've had the sign appear at both. I'll check tonight as I'll be heading that was as soon as I get past Malenia (gave up after 20 attempts on NG+ last night)

Forgot that I hadn't done any side quests on this run so I had to go do Alexander including beating Radahn. Anyway more for my own curiosity, Alexander's summon shows at both entrances for FG

Spoiler

Right Entrance

545544116_AlexanderLeft.thumb.jpg.167c7bde0ef38ac04c546ad6774c36a9.jpg

Left Entrance

879010801_AlexanderRight.thumb.jpg.03280413b2b3f30a20cab985ea4a7e17.jpg

12 hours ago, Minion said:

Yes basically. You also need to help Millicent to get it

Doh. Thanks.

Spoiler

I did Millicent's Caelid part of the quest m(got the needle for her, did the mage guy stuff, she was at the mages shack), then she said she'd bugger off somewhere and I haven't been able to find her since. Will she appear after Malenia or have I missed her somewhere?

Also curious about what kind of level people were at for Malenia - I'm at level 122 now, am I way off or should it be do-able? I think this is the last major boss left to do before I continue the story.

Also thanks whoever it was who recommended I revisited Fia, I did that and the whole shebang afterwards last night. Also I beat the dual gargoyles in the underground, did the pot champions (that was hard), and polished off some old dungeon bosses. I'm close to having cleared everything that I've discovered in the game now, with the exception of the leadup to the Haligtree. I thought the Haligtree was a great section, more than made up for the underwhelming upper mountain. Proper old skool Souls-like design.

4 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Doh. Thanks.

Hide contents

I did Millicent's Caelid part of the quest m(got the needle for her, did the mage guy stuff, she was at the mages shack), then she said she'd bugger off somewhere and I haven't been able to find her since. Will she appear after Malenia or have I missed her somewhere?

She appears in two more places before the Haligtree.

Given where you are at this stage of the game, it's highly unlikely that you'll stumble on her by accident.

Spoiler

Somewhere on the Altus Plateau and then the Mountaintop of the Giants.

As for your earlier question, I'm close to Malenia (one grace away) and I'm at about level 150.

Well I have finally defeated the last boss & become the Elden Lord. 

I can finally get my life back & maybe try a few other newish games I have not been near lately (HFW and GT7 I am looking at you).

I checked hours spent playing and I have spent over 9 full days playing this game, which is both ridiculous and a bit scary at the same time!!!!

Fantastic game though and I am sure I will be back to uncover more, just at a more leisurely rate.

On 22/05/2022 at 02:37, Talvalin said:

She appears in two more places before the Haligtree.

Given where you are at this stage of the game, it's highly unlikely that you'll stumble on her by accident.

Thanks for the hints. After wasting a load of time searching, I gave up and looked it up. I'm calling utter bullshit on this questline due to how hard it is to find the NPC encounters!

NPC Rant Time:

Spoiler

Where Millicent goes in Altus Plateau I never would have found in a million years on a random cliff near a grace, obscured by the surrounding scenery. Even when I knew her rough location, I still ended up riding right past her! I could have spent days searching and there's no way I would have spotted her, or even thought to check out that random spot. If you've gone up that way before there's nothing to suggest going that way again. Then she goes to the Windmill village after the boss, I guess I could have found that but it would have taken ages. Then she teleports to the mountaintop next to a grace, though brilliantly if you port to that grace the default camera angle doesn't have her in it so its perfectly possible to set off without seeing her at all. Then she goes to a church in the Haligtree, the only place I feel I could have found myself. And finally, after defeating the complete arsehole worm in the Haligtree swamp, her summon signs randomly appears on top of a random bit of ground above the boss, a place you'd never think to go back to after beating the boss.

Now I don't mind the hard to find NPCs and questlines usually, but considering this is quite a major plotline and the start of it is quite logical, it's frustrating that it goes so far down the rabbithole. If you properly explore Altus before Caelid and then find Millicent in Caelid, the chances of finding her again are very small. I've had the same problem with a bunch of other NPCs in this game that have just vanished off the face of the earth, and with the game being so huge and the NPC locations teleporting between each encounter, only the most hardcore players or guide-readers will ever see their questlines through. I've always hated this aspect of Souls games, with Millicent I went through the hoops, took my time doing the first part of the quest, searched diligently and was rewarded with the start of an interesting plotline, but then it got snatched away by the terrible quest design.

Compared to older From games, Elden Ring is 30 times bigger, making it incredibly hard to find NPCs once they teleport. In some cases they can be right at a grace point but because they are so small they can be overlooked (plus riding makes spotting NPCs even harder). What's annoying is that it's not a hard issue to fix - just have NPCs give more hints about where their next location is - and crucially have them speak out loud in the world to alert you to their presence when they aren't in an obvious location. Elden Ring already does this with some of their NPCs and it works great. I'm not saying every NPC has to be signposted but I just feel far too many of the NPC quests in this game are easy to miss or drop when you consider how vast the world is. I'm ok with not seeing everything first time around but I feel like my thorough exploration and dedication to NPC hunting should be rewarded and not down to some arbitrary plonking down of the NPC in the massive world forcing you to spend literally hours combing grace sites and points of interest (though in some cases even that's not enough to find them!). It's really unsatisfying to get halfway through an NPC storyline only to lose track of them.

And I'm not alone, head to other online spaces and you'll see people also complaining about quests like Millicent, even hardcore Souls players recognise it's gone too far in this game. Now you can argue that this kind of quest design encourages the 'playground sharing' that Miyazaki likes, but my response is that you shouldn't have so many elements that rely on that in the game, especially story ones. And the reality is that 99% of players will either just look up a guide or give up, rather than take part in the kind of behaviour that the From team wants to encourage. In-game player messages also don't help with problems like this, because of their limited vocabulary.

What's interesting is that From already listened to player issues with NPCs and put in the helpful(ish) map icons after launch. So I wonder if they will do any future tweaking to NPC placement. I just hope they listen to player feedback for their next game and start to make adjustments to their side quest design.

Despite my 4 different builds on the go, i fancy something with a little more spice/quirkiness.

SL1 seems really easy given there's already a '1-shot all bosses at SL1' run out there. So following the build guide is dull after you have everything on the shopping list. Plus STR weapons are so boring.

I was considering a no mount build, but my LH analogue stick and LH thumb would die waaayy before my character. 😂

I want to recreate 'Rhoy The Explorers' adventures from DS2. But unless you know of a fan-made patch for the PC version that adds Durability to this game, its not gonna be the same. 

Can you can beat the game without lighting any Grace points? Has that been done yet? Just bee-lining the main story bosses. I could do that i think. If you die...back to the tutorial.

Answer below with exciting suggestions.

*Edit* A Consumable Only run seems like a no-brainer. Its been done already, so its proven. But it'd give me a chance to delve into the Crafting aspects of this game, which we'll all admit we barely touched on our first run. 

23 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Can you can beat the game without lighting any Grace points? Has that been done yet? Just bee-lining the main story bosses. I could do that i think. If you die...back to the tutorial.

Answer below with exciting suggestions.

*Edit* A Consumable Only run seems like a no-brainer.

I don't think the risks are *that* high as there are the statues placed around that act as spawn points, usually placed at difficult spots. It'll certainly be a pain/ high risk and very annoying, but you wouldn't go back to the start every time. 

My favourite weird run through the game is probably the fat roll only one, but it looked boring as hell to actually play!

You could do:

Fist only run

Never heal run

Heavy attack only run

No HUD run (if possible on PC with mod)

2x game speed run (if possible on PC with mod)

Never roll run

Only parry run

Only summon run (you aren't allowed to attack)

2 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Only summon run (you aren't allowed to attack)

Seen this one done, basically a no attack run. Only summons and healing allowed. Was most impressive.

On 21/05/2022 at 23:56, Alan Stock said:

Also curious about what kind of level people were at for Malenia - I'm at level 122 now, am I way off or should it be do-able? I think this is the last major boss left to do before I continue the story.

Also thanks whoever it was who recommended I revisited Fia, I did that and the whole shebang afterwards last night. Also I beat the dual gargoyles in the underground, did the pot champions (that was hard), and polished off some old dungeon bosses. I'm close to having cleared everything that I've discovered in the game now, with the exception of the leadup to the Haligtree. I thought the Haligtree was a great section, more than made up for the underwhelming upper mountain. Proper old skool Souls-like design.

I'm at level 154 and have been bouncing off her for a couple of months.  

I refuse to finish the game until I have that achievement.

This game has killed my pile of shame. They'll be no coming back. I can't play anything else since it launched, well I do, but for ten minutes then fire up Elden. My OCD style of play probably doesn't help. When I flip on an open world game I scout every cranny, no biggie in something Like Horizon Zero (literally played half an hour of Forbidden West, despite loving what I'm seeing and having finished ZD, and there's GT7, a tiny amount of play for a top tier entry in a series that's usually gaming crack for me) but Elden's looting shite and gaining runes, even on lower segments, has me running around areas hoovering and slaying low tier trash repeatedly.

I'm not complaining, this game and world are pure ambrosia, can't get enough. I could romp through it in an evening the level I am at but I just can't do the later big stuff without being satisfied I've exhausted parts of the map for sides and imagined hidden loot, usually a manky arrow or boring big rune, hey ho. And once I do a little progression to a new area, kill a thing and get some fat runes, it's back to my farm spot to make up the difference for a new level.

God help my pile if we get DLC.

Love it.

I've run out of steam since the capital. Some of the areas have looked really cool (I take don't like CFA though) but they don't feel like I'm exploring any longer. 

I think after finding Melania really rather easy I started to get a somewhat unrealistic opinion of my capabilities as after about 2 hours I simply cannot fucking kill the evil Dragonlord Partysnacks. Jesus! 

14 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

or you could start a new run. Maybe a barbarian dual wielding big-ass hammers!

Oh I will be back, but I just need to give it a rest for a week or two now as I put some pretty hardcore hours in for the last few fights.  

Still need to beat: 

Spoiler

Malenia but she can wait.

Think I have nailed most of the other notable bosses.

2 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

I've run out of steam since the capital. Some of the areas have looked really cool (I take don't like CFA though) but they don't feel like I'm exploring any longer. 

Yeah the bit after that is a bit boring in comparison but stick with it because there's some cool areas still to come. Tonight I've been on a revenge spree taking out the bosses in dungeons that I had to leave because they were too hard. Although the hardest boss of all was just a miniboss dog in the overworld who didn't drop anything and I was stuck on for about 45 mins!