rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
papalazarou

Cliffhanger remake

One of my fave 90’s action movies cliffhanger is being remade this time with a female protagonist.  Personally I don’t see the need for this the original is a classic (John Lithgow chews scenery like is going for the world record)!  What do other peeps think? I’ve a feeling this could be another bad point break style remake 

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1065985-cliffhanger-reboot-ana-lily-amirpour

• Upvote 2

It can't be worse than the point break remake at least but I'm not sure how much of a "classic" the original is. You could probably do an ok remake but at the same time, the nostalgia factor can't really count for that much that you would arguably have the same success just doing another generic action movie with climbing in it. 

As long as the lead actor is able to bodily lift someone up and impale them on a stalactite and is shown demonstrating this fact, it might be alright.

• Upvote 5

Has it got to the point where anyone under 25 won't watch "old" films unless they're remade? As OP says the original is superb and totally fine as it is. It would take some doing to top John Lithgow's trademark enraged baddie (although I'd say his turn on Dexter tops it). And it's not like anything has happened in the last 25-odd years that would improve the story.

I'll watch Cliffhanger whenever it's on TV, but let's be honest, it's cheesier than a Frenchman's larder.

If I was to sit down with a 25 year old today claiming that it was the 90s equivalent of Mission Impossible Fallout they'd give me some very sympathetic looks.

That said, I suspect a remake without the cheese would be a very forgettable affair.

Alex Honnold assesses the climbing in Cliffhanger here:

Cliffhanger is the last one, starts at 13:00. The rest is good as well, he’s ruined Christian Bale’s climb out of the pit in Batman though :(

Cliffhanger is (loosely!) based on a true story, will be interested to see what they do with the remake.

• Upvote 1

Who cares?

4 hours ago, papalazarou said:

What do other peeps think? I’ve a feeling this could be another bad point break style remake 

I don't care. 

Like the Point Break remake, it won't erase the original. 

• Upvote 1

On 08/05/2019 at 18:14, Vimster said:

Has it got to the point where anyone under 25 won't watch "old" films unless they're remade?

I do work with someone who has never seen The Matrix cause it’s “too old”

11 hours ago, The Bag said:

I do work with someone who has never seen The Matrix cause it’s “too old”

What? They actually refuse to watch it for that reason?