rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

On 15/06/2019 at 21:32, jonamok said:

Also, just been playing Space Pirate Trainer on the twilit decking of a static caravan in the middle of Wales.

Try that on your Vive/Rift/PSVR. :P

If anything ever needed a pic...

• Upvote 1

Playing some Robo Recall tonight.  Holy shit it's great.  I've nearly 'finished' the campaign so decided to go back to the early levels...  It's so great now I know what I'm doing!!  I had foolishly not looked properly at the star ranks either, I thought they were purely for score, but some of them are challenges, e.g. recall ten robots by throwing bullets - nice!  

VR is so fucking great. 

The only niggle I have with Robo Recall on the Quest is that sometimes the audio seems to bug out.  I presume it's because there is simply so much going on and it prioritises what to do, but it can be a bit distracting when you shoot your beefy shotgun and it makes no noise! :(

I want more people on the friends leaderboards! Who's got it? 

• Upvote 2

I’ve got it but have been engaged in other games. Now I’ve completed Shadow Point and Journey of the Gods I really should put some time into it. As long as I can resist buying The Wizards.

5 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

I’ve got it but have been engaged in other games. Now I’ve completed Shadow Point and Journey of the Gods I really should put some time into it. As long as I can resist buying The Wizards.

I bought The Wizards and I can't say I'm enjoying it that much so far. It uses gestures to do magic and it can be quite terrible at recognising what it is you want to do. There is also a throwing mechanic and I swear that at least half the time it completely gets wrong my intended aim. 

3 hours ago, SteveH said:

I bought The Wizards and I can't say I'm enjoying it that much so far. It uses gestures to do magic and it can be quite terrible at recognising what it is you want to do. There is also a throwing mechanic and I swear that at least half the time it completely gets wrong my intended aim. 

Hmm, that's a shame, the reviews of it (on other platforms) have been quite positive. Might hold off in that case.

12 hours ago, robdood said:

Playing some Robo Recall tonight.  Holy shit it's great.  I've nearly 'finished' the campaign so decided to go back to the early levels...  It's so great now I know what I'm doing!!  I had foolishly not looked properly at the star ranks either, I thought they were purely for score, but some of them are challenges, e.g. recall ten robots by throwing bullets - nice!  

VR is so fucking great. 

The only niggle I have with Robo Recall on the Quest is that sometimes the audio seems to bug out.  I presume it's because there is simply so much going on and it prioritises what to do, but it can be a bit distracting when you shoot your beefy shotgun and it makes no noise! :(

I want more people on the friends leaderboards! Who's got it? 

I'm glad this is getting some love as it's one of my favourite games on the Rift.  Looks amazing, and quite a challenge in places.  The high score system is good too I think.

Yeah I finally 'died' in one of the later stage last night! I didn't think it was possible prior to that! 

Not only did I die, I died three times! :lol:

(Oops. Posted this in the Rift thread by accident)

Based on all the good stuff you've all said here, I've bought in to Beat Sabre. I think I might need a few months before being comfortable sharing your scoreboards 

I noticed some Penn and Teller 'experience' has arrived in the store. I've watched the video and I'm not really the wiser. It looks like it's for pranking your friends with..?
I like them a lot, but I don't think that's for me. If they demoed magic tricks I might be into it.
Anyone tried it?

@Skykid I think the Penn and Teller experience is out next Thursday. Venturebeat wrote a pretty upbeat review of it suggesting it’s a lot of fun, but yes is just a kind of pranking thing.

They finish by saying:

Without a doubt, Penn & Teller VR is shaping up to be one of the most bizarre and downright hilarious VR experiences out there. It combines the zaniness of the iconic duo with the sort of asynchronous out-of-body experience that only VR can afford. This will likely join Cards Against Humanity and the Jackbox Party Pack as a staple at parties and get togethers.

In other news this looks like it could be great

• Upvote 2

The one and only. I really can’t get on with it. Deeply uncomfortable for a glasses wearer. The plastic frame it comes with is rigid, whereas the Oculus one is flexible beneath the foam. Makes a massive difference. I’ll let other people use it for sharing/hygiene reasons, but I’m sticking to the foam (might even buy a spare).

The deluxe spongey strap thing you can buy for the Quest improves the comfort much more, and a homebrew rear-strap counterweight really helps with long play sessions too. Those two mods combined take all the pressure off your brow/cheekbones.

7 minutes ago, jonamok said:

@boybrown Don’t know the story with the cloth covers, but without paying for expedited shipping my VRCover came by sea and took about 4 weeks.

ok cheers for that.

So I managed to use this in a big, empty meeting room with lots of open space last week and loaded up Superhot VR. What a truly incredible experience! I found it much easier than before too, as I could move around quite freely in the game world to hide behind things, and shoot enemies from behind cover. Just utterly magical :wub:

It’s funny though, removing the wire has introduced a new limitation: the size of the room you’re playing in :lol:

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Moss has just had a price cut on Quest, down from £22.99 to the much more impulse-friendly £15.61. 

I’ll be having that.

Oh excellent, good find! Worth double dipping for that.

Looks like Sairento is out on Quest on the 27 June. It seems to be a much cut down version. 5 levels instead of 13 and no co-op. It'll be cheaper as well. you'd bloody hope so.

you can also side load a beta of Crisis Vrigade. its a very hard time crisis type game. Fun but too nails for me.

13 hours ago, jonamok said:

Moss has just had a price cut on Quest, down from £22.99 to the much more impulse-friendly £15.61. 

I’ll be having that.

And the sale price for Moss was pulled a few hours later. Oculus mistakenly told the dev they could discount it. Only the Rift version was actually allowed to be reduced, though the dev was keen to offer it for the Quest too. There is no sale on Quest and now some doubts as to whether there is one imminent. Too soon into the Quest’s life maybe?

Oh well, glad I nabbed it while I could.

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

And the sale price for Moss was pulled a few hours later. Oculus mistakenly told the dev they could discount it. Only the Rift version was actually allowed to be reduced, though the dev was keen to offer it for the Quest too. There is no sale on Quest and now some doubts as to whether there is one imminent. Too soon into the Quest’s life maybe?

Oh well, glad I nabbed it while I could.

To be honest I was quite surprised it was reduced so soon. I would imagine Oculus don't want to piss off early adoptors by cutting the price that quickly.

Been playing around with SideQuest today. Tried three of the games that you are available to load straight on to the headset, QuakeQuest, Jigsaw 360 and Crisis VRigade.

Jigsaw is a demo of a game that is available on the Go, and is a lovely relaxing jigsaw puzzle type app. Works really nicely and is pretty relaxing, only has two images in the demo and you can only try each jigsaw as 32 pieces. Would be nice to see a full release

Crisis VRigade is a time crisis style shooter, that even on rookie is really difficult. Nice blocky graphical style and will have you kneeling behind scenery a lot! Certainly worth the time to have a go.

QuakeQuest, is quake on the Quest. It's a little janky (for me the weapons were really low) and the tracking is a bit wobbly at times. However it's brilliant fun, although is really fast and with the added tracking jank I'd say only have a go if you have strong VR legs because I can imagine this making people really really nauseated. Also I didn't go into the options but the default is that there is no turning on the right stick, just forward/backward and strafe on the left. This means there is lots of spinning around physically, but then that's what the Quest is made for. Also the version that you get from SideQuest only has the shareware version of the game (for obvious reasons), if you want the full game you need to buy it from Steam and copy the PAK file into your install folder, at the moment Quake is on sale for 1.99 until the 9th of July so it's not much of a hardship!

Just been playing the first hour or two of Moss on Quest.

God it’s just lovely isn’t it? The mouse herself is super cute, the story is sweet, and the world is a succession of pretty dioramas that are an absolute pleasure to interact with and navigate.

If this keeps up it will be getting near Astro Bot in my affections.

• Upvote 1