rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

Yeah, I don't think RJ's contribution warranted the snark it's had. Simmer down folks.

27 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

So the 0.5 TF between the Xbox and the PS4 was hugely significant, but 600% that difference is not important at all?

Feels very revisionist.

So I'm sorry if I mistook this as targeted at me, I was quoted, so got confused. 

Personally I don't think the power difference mattered much then or (theoretically) now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

how many colours does it do though? the snes was like 12 and the megadrive was like a hundred thousand and we all know how that turned out

IIRC off the top of my head:

SNES:

The Picture Processing Unit (PPU) used in the Super NES has a 15-bit RGB (32,768 color) palette, with up to 256 simultaneous colors at once.

However, while the hardware palette can only contain 256 entries, in most display modes the graphics are arranged into between 2 and 4 layers, and these layers can be combined using additive or subtractive color blending. Because these blended colors are calculated by the hardware itself, and do not have to be represented by any of the existing palette entries, the actual number of visible colors onscreen at any one time can be much higher.

The exact number depends on the number of layers, and the combination of colors used by these layers, as well as what blending mode and graphical effects are in use. In theory it can show the entire 32,768 colors, but in practice this is rarely the case for reasons such as memory use. Most games use 256-color mode, with 15-color palettes assigned to 8x8 pixel areas of the background.

MegaDrive:

The Mega Drive/Genesis used a 9-bit RGB palette (512 colors, 1536 including shadow and highlight mode) with up to 61 colors on-screen at once without raster effects (4 palette lines of 16 colors each, palette indices $x0 are definable but considered as transparent, and can only be used as the background color).

PWNED!!

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, tronied said:

Whose to say that Sony would release their TF figure anyway? Is that usually what happens when a new console is released? I honestly can't remember the PS4 release and I know they talked about the PS3 tech in quite some detail during E3. I guess I just feel like it would be out of place for them to go "Hey... here's our new PS5, but screw the games... the most important bit is talking about how many floating point operations this thing does" :unsure: How about they just let the games speak for themselves.

Yup.  They just need to talk about the games.  Plenty of sites will dissect the hardware and decide what the TF is. 

In game footage/trailers of the big hitters should be enough to show it's power.   If TF isn't mentioned at the reveal then you can assume it's less than the Series X but if they reveal some amazing launch games then that'll be seen as a tiny blip

Completely off topic for current discussion, and I couldn't seem to find a more appropriate thread so... 

What are people's thoughts on PS Now?  I'm thinking of trialling it just to replay Bloodborne (as I have no PS4 currently), but would like to hear people's experiences. 

35 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Yup.  They just need to talk about the games.  Plenty of sites will dissect the hardware and decide what the TF is. 

In game footage/trailers of the big hitters should be enough to show it's power.   If TF isn't mentioned at the reveal then you can assume it's less than the Series X but if they reveal some amazing launch games then that'll be seen as a tiny blip

If they reveal some amazing New gen only launch games, given their history, we’ll be astonished.

How many years has it been since horizon launched? Has there really been enough time for Guerilla to create a new one?

29 minutes ago, robdood said:

Completely off topic for current discussion, and I couldn't seem to find a more appropriate thread so... 

What are people's thoughts on PS Now?  I'm thinking of trialling it just to replay Bloodborne, but would like to hear people's experiences. 

Haven't used it myself and haven't loved streaming games in the past but given it's PS4 not PS3 I believe you can just download it.

3 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Haven't used it myself and haven't loved streaming games in the past but given it's PS4 not PS3 I believe you can just download it.

Except I don't have a PS4 any more! Ha, should've said that in the question.  I'm gonna try it on PC. 

36 minutes ago, robdood said:

What are people's thoughts on PS Now?  I'm thinking of trialling it just to replay Bloodborne, but would like to hear people's experiences. 

Since they added the option to download games it's better than when it was just for Streaming games (which would make Bloodborne in particular pretty frustrating if not unplayable). Worth giving the trial a go I guess. EDIT: Oh you'll be streaming Bloodborne... still worth a trial I guess, haha.

I wonder if they'll rework the service to be a worthy competitor to GamePass. Right now it doesn't seem worth it.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, footle said:

If they reveal some amazing New gen only launch games, given their history, we’ll be astonished.

How many years has it been since horizon launched? Has there really been enough time for Guerilla to create a new one?

Horizon Zero Dawn was released Feb 2017.

PS5 release Nov/Dec 2020.

HZD2 would have had nearly 4 years of development depending on when they started.

Most of the assets just require going through the PS5 Nextgenerator™ (Raytracing, 4K textures, floppy hair simulator, etc).

Ergo: Chances of HZD2 being a PS5 exclusive launch title: 93.783%

Number of bollocks bet: 1 bag (not mine).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

launching with Bloodborne 2

Don't even joke! :'(

2 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Most of the assets just require going through the PS5 Nextgenerator™ (Raytracing, 4K textures, floppy hair simulator, etc).

I heard it's as simple as taking the PC dev version and adjusting the slider for how many triangles are on the screen.

(safety wink in case someone thinks I'm being sincere ;) )

• Upvote 1

My great, great grandson (who works for Atari) tells me Bloodborne 3 is a PS5 'launch window' exclusive and Bloodborne 2 will be a Sega Game Gear exclusive. 

Make of that what you will.

Edit: And Bloodborne 4 will be a Netflix documentary. Hmm.

• Upvote 1

On the signup page, GameStop states the following:

"While the world eagerly awaits to get a look at the PlayStation 5 hardware, Sony has revealed what’s under the hood, and there’s no shortage of horsepower:

Full 8K TV support.

Bespoke 8-core AMD chipset.

3D Audio.

Built-for-purpose SSD storage.

Backwards compatibility with PS4 games/PSVR hardware.

Ray tracing capabilities.

3 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

But lets assume it is 9tf, then its virtually the same (PS4 was 22% increase on Xbox One,  Series X is 25% on 9TF)

It's hardly the same and it's 33.3% more not 25%.

12 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

It's hardly the same and it's 33.3% more not 25%.

Ok 33% and 28% . It’s is the same area . It’s not going to matter either way anyway . 

Think the big difference was the  PS4 was also cheaper than the less powerful Xbox. 

Still think the price is the biggest factor for the majority of console buyers. 

• Upvote 3

Trying PS Now... it's actually not too bad!  The responsiveness seems bang on, I'm just gutted it looks like I'm watching a low quality twitch stream.. 

If the AMD leak is correct in their numbers on the PS5 GPU, and that it is based on 36 CUs (for BC with the PS4), they would have to run at 2.0 GHz in order to output the 9.2 teraflops. Which may be a problem in terms of cooling afaik, and the more likely scenario is that the cores are running at something closer to 1.8 GHz, which brings the GPU performance up to 8 TF.

So it may be anything from 8 - 9.2 TF depending on how they deal with the clock speeds and cooling.

• Upvote 2

What about the CPU? If that's clocked low then it won't matter how many terraflops it can output.