rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

If there is some marketing deal with Sony, perhaps the interview was done on the condition they don't ask that.

• Upvote 2

Exactly that, Geoff asked them a question about the engine and Series X and they all looked sheepish like they'd pre-agreed to not answer anything concerning 'other'

That's the weird thing about that showcase/partnership yesterday, I'm not even sure any of Sony's first party use Unreal Engine 4 on their games but something like 12 out of 15 Xbox Game Studios do.

I guess Sony just wanted some content out there.

It's not that odd, is it? It's Epic showing off their new engine to (mostly) devs. A lot of whom will want to be developing on the PS5 (as well as the XsX, of course.) Having them show off how easy it is to make generic Uncharted games on PS5 is a good marketing shout to that intended audience.

In the DF interview they allude to "PS5-like" next-gen consoles and they know the engine is scalable to GPU but weren't sure about the impact of the SSD in terms of variety and distance. That does seem to imply they think XSX will have the edge in UE5, but it's going to be interesting. I can't wait for the full console-specific breakdowns over the coming months.

Still looking at everything in terms of cancelled press events, this was probably originally arranged as part of the PS5 reveal presentation where they discuss how much great third-party tech support they have going on.

• Upvote 1

Great breakdown from DF. For the first time I’m actually excited about these new consoles.

Now, just need Sony to announce a remaster of Last Guardian using Unreal Engine 5. 

Looking at this objectively, this could mean that the PS5 will have the advantage in detail levels using UE5, but XSX could have a performance advantage. I think I read somewhere that the demo in its current state is only possible on PS5 due to the fast SSD streaming those assets in at full detail. I imagine the XSX is no slouch in that field either, but I'm guessing to get it running with the equivalent speed they might need to slightly knock down the asset quality (not in any visible way mind!), but it could benefit using the extra horse power in res and possibly framerate. After all, for those models with 8(?) million triangles, how many of those are having a meaningful visible effect vs say one with 4 million (based on SSD bandwidth differences).

All good stuff though and got me more excited for next-gen systems.

11 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Great breakdown from DF. For the first time I’m actually excited about these new consoles.

Now, just need Sony to announce a remaster of Last Guardian using Unreal Engine 5. 

Ico. :eyebrows:

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Ico. :eyebrows:

Last Guardian running at 60fps would be better. Even on a Pro I find the frame-pacing all over the shop with it. 

Failing that, just get Bluepoint to fiddle with the code a bit and get it going nicely!

• Upvote 1

I'm still mightly impressed with how Shadow of the Colossus looks and runs on my standard PS4, it's amazing (and I have owned all iterations).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tronied said:

Looking at this objectively, this could mean that the PS5 will have the advantage in detail levels using UE5, but XSX could have a performance advantage. I think I read somewhere that the demo in its current state is only possible on PS5 due to the fast SSD streaming those assets in at full detail. I imagine the XSX is no slouch in that field either, but I'm guessing to get it running with the equivalent speed they might need to slightly knock down the asset quality (not in any visible way mind!), but it could benefit using the extra horse power in res and possibly framerate. After all, for those models with 8(?) million triangles, how many of those are having a meaningful visible effect vs say one with 4 million (based on SSD bandwidth differences).

All good stuff though and got me more excited for next-gen systems.

I think this is it really, they’ll be pretty much identical, with each having a slight advantage over the other in certain specific areas, which will only be used by first party devs. They’re both going to be absolute beasts though, which is exactly what I want.

I think that looks beautiful. And has given me my first “next gen tingle” in years..

I’d love to show eight year old me that demo... we’ve come along way...

image.gif.494af01b607c82b855462455f8783eb7.gif

• Upvote 3

Multiplatform PS5 games will run at a slightly lower native res but hit the target FPS more reliably than the Xbox Series X which targets 4k native res and struggles to maintain the target fps, it will be just like the Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro, Sony will laugh all the way to the bank because people lap up anything with a Playstation logo on it and they do have the best exclusive games, i'll still buy both consoles, because I like Microsoft's services and Gears of War will always entice me back in for a new game and it just isnt the same playing on a PC.

Yeah I've wrote all this in my notepad you fuckwits :lol:

• Upvote 2

MS focusing on 'true 4K' is a bit of a worry because it seems like a waste of resources.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Multiplatform PS5 games will run at a slightly lower native res but hit the target FPS more reliably than the Xbox Series X which targets 4k native res and struggles to maintain the target fps

I think he's got me on ignore, but I'd like to know the source for this. Can one of you ask him for me please. Unless it is just another one of his notepad scribblings.

11 minutes ago, Pob said:

MS focusing on 'true 4K' is a bit of a worry because it seems like a waste of resources.

I've also heard this a few times as well. Is this something they've categorically said? I don't understand how a console that's 10x (or whatever it is) the power of the One X would struggle to hold a decent frame rate at 4K.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

Multiplatform PS5 games will run at a slightly lower native res but hit the target FPS more reliably than the Xbox Series X which targets 4k native res and struggles to maintain the target fps, it will be just like the Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro, Sony will laugh all the way to the bank because people lap up anything with a Playstation logo on it and they do have the best exclusive games, i'll still buy both consoles, because I like Microsoft's services and Gears of War will always entice me back in for a new game and it just isnt the same playing on a PC.

Yeah I've wrote all this in my notepad you fuckwits :lol:

Don't forget to write in your notepad these systems aren't using Jaguar CPU's anymore so they should reach the fps targets much more regularly now as it's not the worst aspect of last gen hardware. Plus unlike last gen the CPU in the series X is quicker than the PS5's.

That bit is true.

That bit isn't.

• Empathy 1

Surely it would be up to the devs?

I applaud MS's "any hardware" approach - in means I already have an xbox more powerful than the series X sitting here due to PC game pass and their incredible support for day one first party titles on PC. I won't buy a series X for the incredibly obvious reason I just gave but I'll be a permanent subscriber to game pass even beyond the 3 years I already have.

MS are going for software and are building hardware options for many people - essentially the PC approach which is why they are supporting titles to go back to such a variance of hardware such as the og xbox one which is great dedication

Sony going to focus purely on the single piece of hardware ie typical console gen

I'm personally very happy there is this difference in approach - best of both worlds 

1 minute ago, Revival said:

Don't forget to write in your notepad these systems aren't using Jaguar CPU's anymore so they should reach the fps targets much more regularly now as it's not the worst aspect of last gen hardware. Plus unlike last gen the CPU in the series X is quicker than the PS5's.

That bit is true.

That bit isn't.

Any games that are cross gen will need to work on their lowest common form of hardware though - so Halo Infinite or A Creed will at its source need to be able to run on a Jaguar so the Jaguar still is a consideration until devs completely abandon this gen of consoles on their software

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

I've also heard this a few times as well. Is this something they've categorically said? I don't understand how a console that's 10x (or whatever it is) the power of the One X would struggle to hold a decent frame rate at 4K.

Possibly, I'm not sure. It was certainly the message with the XB1X. Pure 4K seems such a waste of resources to me as long as there still a GPU budget to allocate in different ways. I much prefer the idea of other rendering techniques to optimise the PQ.

• Upvote 1

That bit is true.

That bit isn't.

You got these the wrong way around maybe?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Revival said:

That bit is true.

That bit isn't.

Yeah, totally can't wait to play State of Decay 3 on the Xbox series X!

:lol:

• Upvote 2

Just now, Pob said:

Possibly, I'm not sure. It was certainly the message with the XB1X. Pure 4K seems such a waste of resources to me as long as there still a GPU budget to allocate in different ways. I much prefer the idea of other rendering techniques to optimise the PQ.

What different ways are you thinking, frame rate? I wouldn’t be surprised, especially on first party stuff, to have the option to choose again. If it’s easy enough to do, it makes sense.

Like a charm.

Yeah good, your colour highlighting there is pure thread trolling. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

57 minutes ago, JPL said:

They've been saying that the "performance target" for Xbox Series X games is 4K60. They've obviously walked that back in a big way since it turned out the new Assassin's Creed is 4K30, and said that it's up to developers how they use that power, like every other games console ever. So developers aren't mandated to use 4K, or to reach 60 fps - they can do whatever they like, and make whatever trade-offs between the different platforms' versions they want.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/05/some-xbox-series-x-games-wont-hit-60-fps-performance-target/

Being 10 times more powerful than the fastest Xbox One, I'm sure it could do 4K60 if you played Xbox One games on it without modification. However the developers want to eat up a bunch of that extra power adding more detail, better physics etc. instead so the game "looks" next gen. That leaves less power to improve the resolution and frame rate.

There are some exceptions, Dirt 5's next gen versions will apparently look like the current-gen versions but run at 120 frames per second. But generally speaking customers aren't happy to just get a current-gen game running at a higher resolution and frame rate so most developers don't go down that route.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, JPL said:

I think he's got me on ignore, but I'd like to know the source for this. Can one of you ask him for me please. Unless it is just another one of his notepad scribblings.

Current top spec PCs struggle to hold a decent frame rate at 4K in a number of games, and they're more powerful than either the PS5 or XSX.

As someone whose just invested in a 4K OLED, you damn well believe that I am going to INSIST that the developers...

... make a really fun game, get it working well, and decide what's best. I don't want to have to decide graphical options, 4K, 1080p, 480p, whatever, I don't care. Just make it run well, and be fun.

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

since it turned out the new Assassin's Creed is 4K30

I thought it was 'at least' 4K30?