rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

It looks good, but I feel like it could be 16.73% better.

• Upvote 1

Any time after Thanksgiving, which is on the 26th November this year I think.

• Upvote 1

For real though thus sounds like a great set of tools to make games easier to develop.

Water looks like crap and perhaps squeezing between rocks is the new waiting for a door to open while things load?

Build the art,  let the engine take care of the maths.

#pure

2 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

if she could run and fly like a mad yoke why did she spend so much time plodding around the caves? Edge 4/10

She picks up the power-up at the top.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

For real though thus sounds like a great set of tools to make games easier to develop.

Water looks like crap and perhaps squeezing between rocks is the new waiting for a door to open while things load?

new, lol!

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

Hang on - surely that's the old load-hiding technique. Surely the end of the demo is meant to show how fast it can be streamed on next-gen machines?

Perhaps they put rock-squeezing in because it's such a trope it's almost like a genre expectation these days.

• Upvote 1

I mean obviously, it's a demo of the engine and the graphics were impressive but I hope that's not a game in development. It looked like a generic Tomb Raider knock off with mild fantasy bits thrown in.

1 minute ago, Pob said:

Hang on - surely that's the old load-hiding technique. Surely the end of the demo is meant to show how fast it can be streamed on next-gen machines?

Perhaps they put rock-squeezing in because it's such a trope it's almost like a genre expectation these days.

Turn power up dial to start loading assets.

Man that was pretty impressive, considering one of the first games I played on my own computer looked like this:

image.png.5c758fb249d23ae0aca3dfa1aed52ae0.png

I'm always amazed by how much things have changed!

• Upvote 8

4 minutes ago, Pob said:

Let’s hope so, but I’m guessing that eight bazillion polygons with 8K textures take a lot of memory, even if you can then cronk them down to the appropriate LOD automatically so as not to choke the GPU and CPU.

We’ll find out in 2022 or so if this stuff isn’t coming out until 2021 I guess.

Michael Ancel must be kind of mad that all the “look at the size of this open world” stuff BGE2 does is just baked in to UE.

I remember the first game that did the rock squeezing (Uncharted 2 maybe) it was genuinely quite impressive. We've come a long way from games where the cameras clip through the walls and you can see the bare-arse game boxes behind them.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

We've come a long way from games where the cameras clip through the walls and you can see the bare-arse game boxes behind them.

Yeah these days you clip through the floor and see the entire open world from underneath while you fall forever.

• Upvote 5

So first game with it early 2021. HZD 2? Or will they have had to stick with their design being based on UE4?

4 minutes ago, footle said:

So first game with it early 2021. HZD 2? Or will they have had to stick with their design being based on UE4?

I’d assume they’ll be sticking with Decima.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Pob said:

The crazy fast loading isn’t a feature tied into UE5 rather the NVME, it’s an unfortunate example that they included it there though given that’s an example everyone is using for something that will go away with the new hardware. :p

• Upvote 2

Obviously characters won't be forbidden from squeezing through crevices in next-gen games, the point was always that such 'gates' don't have to be included due to technical constraints. Similar sections would instead be employed for tonal/pacing reasons or to obfuscate a hidden area, not because your HDD is dying in the background trying to load the next area.

It's certainly nice of Epic to market the PS5 for Sony. I imagine the demo would run on XSX fine – unless they've really gone all out on optimising for the PS5's SSD – but it's pretty serendipitous for Sony to have this demo so associated with their platform given Microsoft's maligned third-party showcase.

• Upvote 2

That looks stunning. Can’t wait to see how far games go this coming gen. We’re in for a visual treat.

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

I’d assume they’ll be sticking with Decima.

Hot damn. Imagine how good THAT engine will be optimised for PS5.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Ferine said:

It's certainly nice of Epic to market the PS5 for Sony. 

Well someone has to start doing it eventually and Sony don't seem to be arsed. I hear there might be a live stream in July showing off the cable tie they'll be including in the box to keep the power lead coiled. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Let’s hope so, but I’m guessing that eight bazillion polygons with 8K textures take a lot of memory, even if you can then cronk them down to the appropriate LOD automatically so as not to choke the GPU and CPU.

Cronkin' it lockdown 2020 style. Sound of the summer. 8-)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, robdood said:

Man that was pretty impressive, considering one of the first games I played on my own computer looked like this:

image.png.5c758fb249d23ae0aca3dfa1aed52ae0.png

I'm always amazed by how much things have changed!

Harrier Attack on the Amstrad? The flack guns get pretty intense.

If {fuel = 0} { i < 5}

cout << "game over";

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Correct me if I'm wrong (I do not work as a systems programmer at a major games studio, and it is quite frankly to everyone's benefit that this is not the case), but my rough understanding is that with current techniques, the LOD variants of a model are typically all stored in memory simultaneously, and switching between them is more about saving on GPU compute requirements than it is about keeping memory usage down. If a player is in a given situation where they may end up very close to a model, before the higher LOD version can be fetched from the SSD or whatever, you need that data ready for access anyway. So this technique could potentially reduce memory usage as you don't need to store all the lower quality LOD variants. With the caveat that it, presumably, ups the load on the CPU and / or the GPU doing all of this computation to cronk the meshes down to what is needed at the time.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, JPL said:

That looks stunning. Can’t wait to see how far games go this coming gen. We’re in for a visual treat.

It really does, which makes it all the more frustrating that it was so generic.

19 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

It really does, which makes it all the more frustrating that it was so generic.

I was trying to come up with a flippant post while I was watching it. Something about the most high fidelity rock crevices you've ever seen. But ultimately I suppose it makes sense to focus on bland, familiar textures and environments over something more stylised or fantastical as you've got more of an immediate real world reference to compare it against.

Does anyone remember that bizarre Square Enix tech demo where they showed off a photorealistic concrete underpass?