PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

I just plugged in my 3m amazon basics cable and it's charging while playing. :)

2 minutes ago, pledge said:

Cable probably not, but it won't charge from my Apple USB-C charger.

Cheers both. Amazon Basics FTW!

2 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Weird. It charges from my 61W MacBook Pro charger.

Very weird. Same 61W USB-C charger and it won't work for me. Seen other mentions of it on Reddit.

The same cable in the PS5 and its fine, just not with the charger.

Unrelated, is there a known problem where controllers won't go above 2 bars of charge?

The whole "am I downloading the PS5 version or PS4 version" is stupid.

It shouldn't even be a choice on PS5. It should DL the PS5 version.

Surely Sony should be able to have the network recognise what system you're on and to pull the correct version.

I'd call it something like "Smart Delive...oh..."

16 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

The whole "am I downloading the PS5 version or PS4 version" is stupid.

It shouldn't even be a choice on PS5. It should DL the PS5 version.

Surely Sony should be able to have the network recognise what system you're on and to pull the correct version.

I'd call it something like "Smart Delive...oh..."

Unfortunately, we might end up needing both versions of some games for VR BC.

51 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I know it's come up before, but I just crumbled and bought WRC9. It's hard to even know if you're downloading the PS5 version (or indeed, downloading it twice) isn't it? That's a bad bit of UI.

Having the same issue with Dirt 5 not actually sure what I've downloaded. The difficulty comes that it's on the external HDD so it must be the PS4 one... Although I've not checked. Couldn't see an option to download it as a PS5 version either. 

2 hours ago, Quexex said:

Having the same issue with Dirt 5 not actually sure what I've downloaded. The difficulty comes that it's on the external HDD so it must be the PS4 one... Although I've not checked. Couldn't see an option to download it as a PS5 version either. 

This why smart delivery exists, stupid users... I had to manually upgrade Dirt 5 in the store first. Unused the app, which is growing on me. Now the PS5 version is downloading. Fortunately I'm on infinite data and fiber. Otherwise that would suck.

I still haven't played a proper PS5 game, about 85% into the Spidey remastered campaign. DLC soon then on to Miles!

Still can't believe how fast the drive is. Just opening the menu, selecting my save and straight into the game world is incredible.

I’m also playing Spidey remastered, first time playing the game for me. With RT it’s just fucking spectacular. About a third of the way in and I fucking adore it. What a lovely, beautiful, really well written and excellently performed game. And by God the traversal is just utterly blissful. I can’t even imagine fast travelling. I deliberately take the long way round to get anywhere, trying to chain launch boosts and mid-air tricks, and street surfing. It’s a thing of wonder.

I've been playing so much of it in the last week and it was sssoo slow when I started. Can recall how it would take ages to beat my way through a local crime now I'm all them like a ninja. Called back to a starter area where I'd missed a crime and the thugs with bats just went down with no fuss, they were so hard before :lol: I love it, the combat is everything it should be and the web swinging is something else. Regret not playing it on the PS4 but after the DLC is done I'll finally be able to see some proper Spidey on a PS5. Hope they've done something interesting with the engine that the remaster hasn't.

Downgrading PS Plus to the extent that each user on a console has to have their own PS Plus account in order to use cloud saves and making it the only way to back up data is elite tier nickel-and-diming from Sony. At least Nintendo’s barebones offering gives you a family account for £30 per year, unlike Sony demanding £200 for a family of four.

Well PS5 has successfully reignited my passion for gaming. From a few hours with my son playing through LoUp2. To snatching a few laps at DIRT5 split screen before hitting a few GPs in Hotshots Racing. All started with a dose of Friday night gaming with social Everybody's Golf followed by rinsing Astrobot and getting the plat :)

I haven't scratched the surface on Spiderman MM or Demon's Souls.

I love my PS5, despite the fact it's obnoxiously large.

13 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

Downgrading PS Plus to the extent that each user on a console has to have their own PS Plus account in order to use cloud saves and making it the only way to back up data is elite tier nickel-and-diming from Sony. At least Nintendo’s barebones offering gives you a family account for £30 per year, unlike Sony demanding £200 for a family of four.

They haven’t really changed PS Plus, at the moment the change is that you can’t copy PS5 saves to USB, you’d expect they’ll patch that in soon.

10 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

It's always been like that.

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Microsoft don't charge for cloud saves, right? And syncing is seamless on Xbox. Nintendo and Sony need to sort their acts out.

I don't think they do. They always work irrespective if I had a gold sub or not. Flick between the Xbox and PC all the time and its great everything just works well.

20 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I don't think they do. They always work irrespective if I had a gold sub or not. Flick between the Xbox and PC all the time and its great everything just works well.

they dont charge for it - it is so convenient that I feel bad for whinging (in my head) when I flip between xboxes and I get the syncing message for a few secs :D

10 hours ago, wretcherd said:

Oh you absolute bastards, now I can hear the coil whine. I was fine being completely oblivious.

It's like pointing out the ticking of a clock or your own breathing.

I think I can too, there's certainly some kind of 'fridge' like hum coming from my PS5 when it's downloading updates (in rest mode) could be coil whine as it's nearer the base of the system rather than the top near the fan.

Only noticeable in a silent room though. And no where near as bad as the fan noise and HDD noise from my PVR ;)

28 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

When was it actually a thing? They've always jumped about.

It was definitely a thing for most UK releases in the past, but not for a long time now. It always used to be a bit annoying that the US would get new releases on the Tuesday and the UK would get them a few days later on the Friday.

Then it started changing so that the UK also started getting big releases on the Tuesday. Nowadays every game is more or less a worldwide release (Japan excluded) but the actual day of release seems very flexible.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

COD was one of the first to move to the Tuesday. Rather than being to do with giving us the game at the same time, I think the extra days on sales helped it break sales records every time.

Typically games used to release on Friday as this worked well with bricks and mortar retailers. However as the game charts in Europe start counting from Tuesday some released moved to that day to maximise their potential chart position. Since shops have become less relevant, any day is good some choose to avoid the day of bigger releases.