PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

19 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

How’s the 120fps? I don’t particularly want a racer but I do want to try 120fps. 

Just unsuccessfully tried to play 1080p 120fps. Put the console in 1080p mode and had no option to choose 120fps either in system settings or game settings.

6 minutes ago, Pug said:

Just unsuccessfully tried to play 1080p 120fps. Put the console in 1080p mode and had no option to choose 120fps either in system settings or game settings.

I think you have to choose the Performance Mode option in the system settings, where it asks you what you would like your default preference to be.  It’s a bit odd. 

21 minutes ago, Pug said:

If it's like COD then you have to go to Settings and Game Preferences and set the console to performance mode as preference, then it will allow 120fps mode to be enabled in game.

Well it's been a week now with my PS5 and the only negative I have is not having enough time to play on it. It sits there gurning at me with it's massive presence in the room calling me to play... While I'm subjected to another period drama on Netflix, at least I steered us towards the Queens Gambit which is actually very good... None the less no game times make Q sad :(

On the plus side I did steal a round or two of Everybody's Golf on an extended lunch today. It would have not been possible before as my wife works from home in our living room and the jet engine distraction of the old pro would have made it impossible for her to do her job. Instead I have the TV on volume 3 and I can just about hear the fans above that. 

4 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Well it's been a week now with my PS5 and the only negative I have is not having enough time to play on it. It sits there gurning at me with it's massive presence in the room calling me to play... While I'm subjected to another period drama on Netflix, at least I steered us towards the Queens Gambit which is actually very good... None the less no game times make Q sad :(

On the plus side I did steal a round or two of Everybody's Golf on an extended lunch today. It would have not been possible before as my wife works from home in our living room and the jet engine distraction of the old pro would have made it impossible for her to do her job. Instead I have the TV on volume 3 and I can just about hear the fans above that. 

Sharpe's on Netflix now, tell her its a romantic swashbuckling tale period drama.

There seems to be a bug with HDR.

Loded up the surge as I was just browsing games to delete from my external. It’s not compatible so I deleted it while it was still running.

I loaded up Monster Hunter but something didn’t look right. Then went into Demons souls and it told me HDR was unavailable and sure enough my TV wasn’t in HDR mode.

Rebooted and it came back.

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

Jesus no... seriously, you Xbox fanboys defend this to the hilt don't you. Can't personally think of anything worse than AA batteries in a modern device. Stick em in your fairy lights... that's it.

And likewise you Sony faboys defend a built-in battery to the hilt don't you.

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

God no. I absolutely hate that about the standard Xbox controllers. Constant faffing about with individual batteries. Got a charge pack for that one ASAP.

Isn't that the benefit though - choice to do that if you want to - to have it either way.

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yes, please talk more about batteries.

Doh, sorry.

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

My pet peeve with this is that the rumble in my lovely Xbox 360 Reach SE pads disconnects the batteries and thus the controller. Tried everything to fix it and nope - turn rumble off is the solution. AA toxic landfill are the stuff of a bygone era. 

We have been using eneloop for over a decade now, they last 5 times longer than a charge on a pad and it means you don’t need two pads for a sesh unlike a PlayStation - non serviceable batteries should be from a bygone era, funny how the forum says when Apple do it it’s anti consumer but when Sony do it it’s pro consumer :lol:

1 hour ago, Pug said:

I couldnt get 1080p 120 to work in COD either, my screen can do it apparently but the game has the option disabled and appears a common issue on series x and PS5 :( 

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

We have been using eneloop for over a decade now, they last 5 times longer than a charge on a pad and it means you don’t need two pads for a sesh unlike a PlayStation - non serviceable batteries should be from a bygone era, funny how the forum says when Apple do it it’s anti consumer but when Sony do it it’s pro consumer :lol:

I'm probably in the minority but I love Eneloops, have been using them for years. I agree would love it if the Playstation controllers took standard AA/AAA batteries. No need for a charging station.

40 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I think a lot of folk would be annoyed if an iPhone came with two AA batteries with you having to buy a cable and a rechargeable battery separately.

Hmm I don't like WRC9 very much, I've tried turning off all the controller gubbins and it still has it, sorry but I find it uncomfortable, I've always turned off vibration on my controllers and now it's on the triggers too, I didn't mind it in astro but on WRC9 it's really distracting and almost constant it's made my hands feel weird after 5 minutes. The problem is trying to turn it all off, you turn off haptic and it just ignores it anyway, disappointing. Perhaps I'm being stupid, if anyone gets it to work without all that stuff please let me know how you did it.

4 minutes ago, Minion said:

Hmm I don't like WRC9 very much, I've tried turning off all the contorller gubbins and it still has it, sorry but I find it uncomfortable, I've always turned off vibration on my controllers and now it's on the triggers too, I didn't mind it in astro but on WRC9 it's really distracting and almost constant it's made my hands feel weird after 5 minutes. The problem is trying to turn it all off, you turn off haptic and it just ignores it anyway, disappointing. Perhaps I'm being stupid, if anyone gets it to work without all that stuff please let me know how you did it.

You can adjust the level of it in the system settings.

sometimes developers don’t use it in the right places.

Rocket league uses the rumble for when your using boost and given that half the game your boosting it’s kinda annoying. I nice little thump when you pick up a boost would be nice

2 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

You can adjust the level of it in the system settings.

sometimes developers don’t use it in the right places.

Rocket league uses the rumble for when your using boost and given that half the game your boosting it’s kinda annoying. I nice little thump when you pick up a boost would be nice

Yeah I did that on my PS4 but I was enjoying it on Astros and not even done one world on that yet as Demons has consumed me so I don't want to turn it off at system level just yet, thanks for the suggestion though.

2 hours ago, Quexex said:

My pet peeve with this is that the rumble in my lovely Xbox 360 Reach SE pads disconnects the batteries and thus the controller. Tried everything to fix it and nope - turn rumble off is the solution. AA toxic landfill are the stuff of a bygone era. 

<I have a broken pad>

<Therefore all pads must be like this>

It's would be ok if the pad batteries weren't so shit.  A solution of "buy another one or keep it plugged in" is not a solution.

The official Sony dock is lovely and about the only elegant solution I would be happy with given we're not going to have a choice of what batteries to use.

It's great that they're USB-C but the charging dock is like the PS4 one and it doesn't use the front of the controller.   They use the connecter at the base of the pad and look much better when stored.   I hope there isn't a limited run of them as now I'm itching anf thinking I should buy a couple and therefore just making the situation worse.

THIS is how the pads(s) should be stored. So good looking.

image.thumb.png.c64f9be89de7c4d7fa08046949a43307.png

46 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Gonna run for President again on a sole policy of banning anyone doing battery chat. So many threads devolve into pages of back and forth battery chat as a side front in the console wars.

I think your campaign would run out of juice fairly quickly on that platform.

9 minutes ago, Minion said:

Yeah I did that on my PS4 but I was enjoying it on Astros and not even done one world on that yet as Demons has consumed me so I don't want to turn it off at system level just yet, thanks for the suggestion though.

No I mean you can turn It down so the effect isn’t so strong on a system level. I think everything is on high as default.