PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

I think the whole thing would have been well served by a narrator or compere explaining why the games we were looking at were true next gen material - this is 4K, that is 60fps, the other has zero load times, etc. 

Just now, Popo said:

I think the whole thing would have been well served by a narrator or compere explaining why the games we were looking at were true next gen material - this is 4K, that is 60fps, the other has zero load times, etc. 

Yeah - there was nothing there that looked completely mind-blowing. All of it seemed like better performing versions of what we had already.

I thought it was pretty decent. Lots of new IP. Nothing massively "next-gen" but I didn't really expect anything like that, at least on this stream. The cat game, the moon thing, the Arkane game all caught my attention. The thing itself is a bit WTF though. 

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I think that probably took the edge off the over-the-top PS5 hype in a lot of places, it certainly wasn't the PS4-style blowout that was expected. Everything about the way these consoles have been marketed has been weird.

A bit of a mixed showing for many of the same reasons as the Xbox one, a lot of cross-gen games that don't look like "The Future Of Gaming" and some that could easily run on consoles two generations old (literally in the case of the opener).

Highlights:

RE VIIIAGE looks very different, which is welcome after all those nostalgia retreads.

Horizon looked like the first actual lavish next gen game we've seen, assuming that's in-engine.

Ratchet and Clank looked very impressive too, to my eyes, but this was peak screen pixelating

A couple of very impressive indies, Kira and that Annapurna one

Lowlights:

Rockstar trying to sell you GTA again, as a probably premium upgrade no less

That Octodad Game

Godfall

Destruction Allstars being the nth game to try and make their bunch of overdesigned twats popular

Astrobot Gameroom, which manages to look like a low quality PS4 game while not being VR?

EA trying to get you interested in NBA with rendering a single bloke in an empty court, that looked current gen anyway

That Pragmata game which seemed really hard to be ripping off the Kojima Productions logo trailer, for some reason? It felt a bit like those Asylum productions you used to get.

I think that’s a pretty fair summary. The first thing when I saw Allstars when I saw the trailer was the focus group saying “ what if we combine fortnite with rocket league!”

I've owned every Playstation so far (OK, no I didn't have a VITA) and I'm really underwhelmed by what was shown here  The games looked very meh.  Only Stray peaked my interest.  Lots of trailers were most definitely more of the 'same old same old' and didn't look next gen in the slightest.  Nothing to show the 3D audio or SSD game changing capabilities I'd hoped to see.  And that console design.  Just no.  I'm a 48 year old married man - I cant have a Gundam lookalike hiding in my TV rack. 

Most telling was that I sat and watched this with my 13 year old son.  He's dressed from head to toe in PS branded clothing most days and would spend every day on his PS4 if he could playing Fortnite.  He 'hates Xbox' and is pretty much the very definition of a Sony fanboy.  Got bored half way and stared taking the piss.  No interest at all...  Target demographic fail?

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It looks like it’s either nigh-airtight or about to completely fall apart depending which angle I see it from. I genuinely cannot get a feel on it.

Well, whatever happens, it’ll be the all digital one for me anyway. It’s a very curious design either way, but the disk insert area looks like a fucking afterthought and in the white it stands out rather more than it should do.

Just now, JoeK said:

Well, whatever happens, it’ll be the all digital one for me anyway. It’s a very curious design either way, but the disk insert area looks like a fucking afterthought and in the white it stands out rather more than it should do.

Yeah, they definitely don’t want you buying that one if they can help it. 

I liked that, loads of cool looking new games. I love the thing where you’re a cat in robot world, and the Alice in wonderland x Zelda thing. No time for the endless fucking sequels, gran turismo and ratchet and all that shite. Wish we’d seen Elden Ring or a new fromsoft game instead of demons. If you can climb in horizon two I’ll give it a go. It looked to me like a lot of developers who loved breath of the wild are finishing their first game since that came out.

8/10

I don't think there was anything shown on there that couldn't be done on current consoles with some cutbacks made. There was an awful lot of prerendered or in engine stuff shown and little actual gameplay. I also expect the same for MS's reveal of actual games as well. 

2 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I think discs should be an afterthought at this stage . The design should be compromised for discs ;  not the other way round 

2 minutes ago, Mortis said:

That Horizon trailer screams bullshot to me - maybe I’m just jaded by previous Sony “reveals”

you reckon? The animation seems very gamey and therefore nothing that feels like it’s beyond a super-PS4-pro?

59 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

I don't think there was anything shown on there that couldn't be done on current consoles with some cutbacks made. There was an awful lot of prerendered or in engine stuff shown and little actual gameplay. I also expect the same for MS's reveal of actual games as well. 

MS got loads of grief for the recent third party reveal showing little or no gameplay footage.. There really wasnt - that- much more in game stuff here.. 

Intregued by Stray and liked the look of Kena, Solar Ash and Devils Inside..