rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - Mark Cerny reveals many details in WIRED exclusive

11 hours ago, Hitcher said:

PS5 supports HDMI 2.1 ergo it supports 8K60 and 4K120. lol

Apparently Scarlett does too. lol

Source: some Xbox twitter random last week.

;)

Final retail box chips stats won't be known until approx. 4 months before release so we can look forward to a solid 12 months of this rumour/leak back and forth clickbait bullshit. 

The Game Informer guy who started this rumour also stated the  One X would be $700, just saying.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Phil said:

But £160 for a controller is really getting crazy when you consider the percentage of a new console that buys. I liked the Elite (poor build quality and diabolical MS support aside) but I didn't £120 like it so just went back to using the standard controller and spent the money on Switch games.

Yeah, I'll wait for a serious sale before I get one and use the v1 until then,  which is the beauty of cross-gen compatibility, but the point is that I'm prepared to pay for the premium stuff when it comes to consoles, and I'll probably go with whichever platform offers that. Right now the XB1X with Elite pad is the undisputed premium choice for multiplatform games if you're prepared to pay. It'll be a tough choice if there's a trade-off between the two platforms at the start of the next gen.

You know, after Blizzard released another small patch for Overwatch yesterday that took 5 seconds to download and 30 minutes to copy (install?), I want the PS5 to deal with updates to online games/live services in a much, much more efficient and user-friendly manner.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, df0 said:

You know, after Blizzard released another small patch for Overwatch yesterday that took 5 seconds to download and 30 minutes to copy (install?), I want the PS5 to deal with updates to online games/live services in a much, much more efficient and user-friendly manner.

At the start of this gen it was the other way round, I don’t know how or why it swapped, I can only assume they didn’t compress the updates at the start and have started to now? 

The WSJ have dug into Sony's strategy for the upcoming round, they are doubling down on what works for them:

Sony Chief Executive Kenichiro Yoshida has even called the PlayStation a niche product, aimed at serious players. "Details when making games have become more important than ever," he said at a recent company strategy meeting.

Sony sees Microsoft as its main competitor in the next generation, with Google a potential threat in the mid- to long-term as internet technology advances, one company official said

Sony’s latest thinking puts less stress on overall sales numbers and more on the most-profitable segment of the market: the devoted fans who buy big-budget titles, such as Bethesda Softworks LLC’s “Fallout” series and Take-Two Interactive Software Inc.’s “Red Dead Redemption.” 

A second Sony official said the company believes people buy a videogame console to play graphics-heavy games.

Sony is concentrating its attention on large software publishers as it gets ready for the next PlayStation, according to executives at Sony and software makers. In general, publishers want their games on multiple platforms to maximize sales, while console makers look to make deals for exclusive content or an initial period of exclusive sales. 

Sony still welcomes games from independent studios, the first Sony official said, but the emphasis is on strengthening relationships with large publishers since resources are limited. The thinking is, the official said, that people buy a console to play high-quality games available only on that platform, not smaller games also available on smartphones.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-positions-next-playstation-for-hard-core-gamers-11561800603

Has anyone read back through the arguing in this thread, noted negs on innocuous posts and considered having nothing to do with this tiresome hobby? Or at the very least, those ecp comment on it. 

• Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

9 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Has anyone read back through the arguing in this thread, noted negs on innocuous posts and considered having nothing to do with this tiresome hobby? Or at the very least, those ecp comment on it. 

I was with you until the last sentence.

So since E3 (and the run up to it, when we got a bit of news about the PS5), I've been thinking about getting rid of my PS4 Pro. I've also got a Switch and One X.

There's certainly due to be a few good exclusives but with full back compat almost a dead cert for both PS4 and Project Scarlett, there doesn't seem to be much downside to this, other than maybe having to wait a bit before playing Death Stranding and that Sucker Punch Samurai game.

This isn't really something I normally do, but as I say BC has never been as certain.  My gaming time has reduced massively over the past 18 months, so I'm a bit wary of getting rid of a console and then realising I really want one and rebuying it.

Anyone else thinking of getting rid before the next gen kicks off?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

So since E3 (and the run up to it, when we got a bit of news about the PS5), I've been thinking about getting rid of my PS4 Pro. I've also got a Switch and One X.

There's certainly due to be a few good exclusives but with full back compat almost a dead cert for both PS4 and Project Scarlett, there doesn't seem to be much downside to this, other than maybe having to wait a bit before playing Death Stranding and that Sucker Punch Samurai game.

This isn't really something I normally do, but as I say BC has never been as certain.  My gaming time has reduced massively over the past 18 months, so I'm a bit wary of getting rid of a console and then realising I really want one and rebuying it.

I've formatted my Pro over the weekend and boxed up the PSVR and stuff, too. I'll be flogging it at CeX or eBay if I can be arsed. I just don't use it ever. 

Switch and 360 get equal use, loads. 

One X gets used maybe once a week.

Pro probably been used two or three times since I got another PSVR last BF. 

I bought EDF 5 in the recent sale and it was the first time I'd switched my PS4 on in about a year. The Switch gets most of my gaming time at the minute. But even if there's nothing coming out I'm interested in, I'm still gonna keep the PS4. I'll use it sporadically. 

Will more than likely pick up a Scarlett as my next gen launch console so will keep the PS4 a while longer yet. I still have a ton of exclusive stuff to play for it which will tide me over until I finally pick up a PS5 (for the exclusives).

51 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Maybe my Pro, but after Death Stranding, as it never gets used due to my disappointment with its exclusives which I sold literally the same week I brought them.

• Empathy 3

48 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Can I recommend SwiftKey? 

I probably should try that, I assume the learning thing also helps Win 10 these days.

If any of you are thinking of getting rid of your PS4 Pro and are in London then I'd be interested in taking it off your hands :D

(I already have a base PS4 but bought myself a new TV so the upgrade would be nice)

On 19/06/2019 at 10:09, df0 said:

On 19/06/2019 at 10:28, gooner4life said:

At the start of this gen it was the other way round, I don’t know how or why it swapped, I can only assume they didn’t compress the updates at the start and have started to now? 

Late but I can answer this: Sony introduced a feature in the PS4 OS in the last year or so where it first makes a duplicate copy of anything it’s patching, patches that, and only deletes the original when it’s done. It’s meant to allow it to roll back if a patch fails part way through but making the duplicate means it takes one thousand years to do even the most trivial stuff.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Late but I can answer this: Sony introduced a feature in the PS4 OS in the last year or so where it first makes a duplicate copy of anything it’s patching, patches that, and only deletes the original when it’s done. It’s meant to allow it to roll back if a patch fails part way through but making the duplicate means it takes one thousand years to do even the most trivial stuff.

Thank you

On 17/07/2019 at 12:47, Stanshall said:

Can I recommend SwiftKey? 

Cheers for this, can't believe how much better it is. I was sick of getting weird auto correct on the Samsung keyboard, stuff I'm pretty sure was shit other people normally type. 

SwiftKey is way better. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

9999 Swedish Krona doesn't sound like a placeholder price at all does it?!

No way! Sony have obviously left it up to a random Swedish retailer to reveal the price of the PS5!

• Upvote 1