rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - Mark Cerny reveals many details in WIRED exclusive

PS4 back compatible, will accept physical media (not download only). Not much mention of it at E3, which implies a Q4 next year launch at earliest to me.

• Upvote 1

How can it possibly do realtime raytracing like the warthog lights in Halo? That's blue sky thinking man.

And it runs of off a flashable Super Nintendo Disk (SSD)? Wow, this be futures.

• Upvote 1

Audio seems like an odd thing to focus on, given that you can't really show it off in previews or trailers. Maybe this is a failure in imagination on my part, but is the current hardware holding us back with regard to sound? What can't you do at the moment that would significantly improve games?

The article mentions true 3D sound, and I'll admit that directional sound with headphones on is really useful in games like Apex Legends, and it would be impressive if they could do that through TV speakers, but I can't think of anything off-hand that would be a significant improvement on that. It talks about the jump between PS3 and PS4 in terms of sound - was there one? I didn't notice.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, K said:

Audio seems like an odd thing to focus on, given that you can't really show it off in previews or trailers. Maybe this is a failure in imagination on my part, but is the current hardware holding us back with regard to sound? What can't you do at the moment that would significantly improve games? Directional sound with headphones on is really impressive in games like Apex Legends, but I can't think of anything off-hand that would be a significant improvement on that,

And most people will probably be listening through their TV speakers anyway.

Just now, JohnC said:

The article actually says that with the additional processing grunt, they'll be able to reproduce the effect through TV speakers. Which is impressive if possible, even if I don't understand how it could be. At any rate, it wouldn't be top of my list in terms of new features on the PS5.

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You've actually made a decent point that the machine should have a headphone socket like the Megadrive1 and... Sony manufacture the official headphones for this. May as well go with the benefits of a fascist dictatorship, if possible (ie Vectrex).

And then obviously these headphones are usable with a VR setup.

• Downvote 4

If they knock out the park with software like they did with PS4. Then im in. If they don;t then im out.

But you can imagine a stellar PS5 launch line up if they get the timings right (TLou 2, Horizon 2)

Thanks for sharing...Interesting read... It will be interesting to see how they are going to use that power to deliver new experiences! 

Like Cerny watched a few interviews with him. Good that he has been a game developer and brings the developer community into the fold when bringing new products to market. I expect the NG Playstation will try to push the envelope a bit again.

Its great that its already forward thinking note that it supports 8K - I expect this will be for future video support? Don't expect games to render out at 8K :D Well not with current processor limitations anyway.

Isn't 8K becoming a thing in Japan at the moment?!

1 minute ago, K said:

At any rate, it wouldn't be top of my list in terms of new features on the PS5.

I guess the ever dimishing returns in improvements in graphical fidelity, make selling big leaps a hard sell, where as Audio might be the next big you can show  (hear) big gains.

The backwards compatibility is the key one for me. If they can then enhance things like MS does with the X, then it'll be a definite buy.

My X is effectively a 360 on steroids, and I'm loving it.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

If they knock out the park with software like they did with PS4. Then im in. If they don;t then im out.

But you can imagine a stellar PS5 launch line up if they get the timings right (TLou 2, Horizon 2)

The launch lineup consists of whoever passes the masonic rituals to be a developer. For instance, running around the gymnastics court watched over by the Kyoto ninjas and pass every Kyrpton Factor style test, and drink 4 liters of sodapop without throwing up, and... dunno, but the PS3 system of assuming Middleware won't trash the PowerPC chips was a failure and anyone on the UnrealEngine team should walk the plank, never to come back. Only serious peeps.... die hards...

• Downvote 5

Just now, JoeK said:

The backwards compatibility is the key one for me. If they can then enhance things like MS does with the X, then it'll be a definite buy.

My X is effectively a 360 on steroids, and I'm loving it.

Me too! Especially as I've switched over to digital recently. Really don't two boxes under the TV again! :D 

For audio, I'd guess a lot of current stuff fakes it - so the reverb in a room might be fixed rather than calculated based on the surfaces in the room. If you have processing power to spare then you could start calculating all that stuff in real time. Think raytracing but for audio.

I'm probably being too optimistic, but it'd be nice if more of the current PSVR gubbins was built into the new console and it wasn't the Cthulhu of cables that current owners deal with.

I think my priorities are a little messed up. :P 

Also:

On 14/06/2018 at 20:00, Qazimod said:

Half of the name/logo work's been done for them, surely:

HvR4yFs.jpg

1 minute ago, Hitcher said:

Oh dear, here we go again.

Playstation5 comes with a free hover board, but the only catch is that if three or more of these intersect in an urban area with an electricity grid, this segment of Earth is destroyed within 3 minutes. We could always go back to clockworks? Like millions and millions of little gears and steam pumps.

• Downvote 6

7 minutes ago, centurion said:

This converts a hexagonal column of atmosphere into a solar flare, which is bad for the earth's surface and gravitational orbit. This also destablises the entanglement of Sol and can incur it to collapse into a Black Hole... within 1 year.

Blah, blah, fucking blah.

• Upvote 5

All sounds good to me - a traditional disc based console, more powerful, backwards compatible and with an SSD. The audio stuff sounds like some sort of game-focused Dolby Atmos, which will be good if you have a nice pair of headphones.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Blah, blah, fucking blah.

Not not really. You're talking about feedback of reality properties, which can amplify signals of the universe to a near infinite amount beyond what was possible without digital computation patterns. I've tested what happens in pseudo-sim and it's sick.

• Downvote 10

28 minutes ago, max renn said:

The SSD will be interesting.

Yeah, and by faster than PC I assume he means current PC, otherwise we're getting into customizations I thought consoles were getting away from. 

But honestly, an SSD full stop is a must. The load times in some games, understandable given the assets, are sometimes off putting. I think we've exhausted the abilities of spinning rust, it's an absolute bottleneck.

• Upvote 1