rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - Mark Cerny reveals even more details in second WIRED exclusive

6 minutes ago, Dudley said:

potentially but it’s more we’re looking at one potential trait of the drive, that it’s twice as fast reading data in order and ignoring all the other potential ones.

eg - judging a car entirely on its top speed and ignoring acceleration and cornering when the job is not a drag race but to get across a winding mountain pass.

What will the other benefits be then? Like I said up thread, I’ve only seen talk of traversing open worlds faster so far, but what else could it bring?

1 hour ago, footle said:

something has to process that data at the increased rate.

True, hadn’t considered that. Even more reason not to skimp on the cpu. VR’s another. You’d think a 25% power difference would really matter there.

As I keep saying, I hope the PS5 is $800/£750, commercially does really rather poorly but has spectacularly beefy hardware. I essentially want the Neo Geo I couldn’t have as a child. I spend more on my semi-annual phone and an accumulation of essentially shit.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, JPL said:

What will the other benefits be then? Like I said up thread, I’ve only seen talk of traversing open worlds faster so far, but what else could it bring?

I’ve not seen anyone manage to suggest any other use case. I’m sure someone will surprise us at some point but the vast majority of devs will just use it as a “load up shit faster” mechanism. 

I guess MS and Sony will be able to be a little freer in downloading updates to more games in the background as installing the update should be a LOT faster.  

editing video should be faster. 
maybe more onboard effects while streaming? 

non of the above will be easy to show off in screenshots or gameplay videos. 
it’ll all be mostly comparisons around res/effects/framerate again. 

Looking through that gaf thread there’s also rumours of the Series X having a Phison PCIe 4.0 SSD with an E18 controller, whatever one of those is!

1 hour ago, Meat said:

True, hadn’t considered that. Even more reason not to skimp on the cpu. VR’s another. You’d think a 25% power difference would really matter there.

As I keep saying, I hope the PS5 is $800/£750, commercially does really rather poorly but has spectacularly beefy hardware. I essentially want the Neo Geo I couldn’t have as a child. I spend more on my semi-annual phone and an accumulation of essentially shit.

The CPUs will be nigh on identical. The person talking about the spiderman demo ignores two salient facts:

- the game would need to tailored to make use of the different data transfer rate;

- of course the PS4 Pros CPUs were crap so wouldn’t be able to make use of the higher throughput anyway

I don’t think anyone is expecting the CPU to be much different between the two consoles; and it’s unlikely that Sony have a particularly significant advantage in OS drivers over Microsoft: perhaps they’ll gain a little through ignoring virtualisation?

2 hours ago, joffocakes said:

All I want from faster loading is to be able to switch characters in Street Fighter's training mode in an instant.

Yeah it’s stuff like this that I’m into as well, like back in the SNES days. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Yeah it’s stuff like this that I’m into as well, like back in the SNES days. 

Ironically Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES had some of the worst loading times on the system; it would freeze at the start of each fight while assets were decompressed.

• Upvote 1