Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu @ 19:00 - Paul Ricard Dec 10

1 hour ago, Meers said:

How did Ninja sneak in there twice?

Glitch in the matrix. ;)

I may have another go tonight - before I turned the game off I did have a go of turning down the TC and trying to control my heavy right foot - I was faster, but couldn't complete a lap. So maybe I'll have more patience tonight … maybe.

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

Glitch in the matrix. ;)

I may have another go tonight - before I turned the game off I did have a go of turning down the TC and trying to control my heavy right foot - I was faster, but couldn't complete a lap. So maybe I'll have more patience tonight … maybe.

That's where I'm at. There's definitely time left on the table, but it's drivable. I spent a few laps killing my CC rating by provoking the rear end and tweaking the setup so it was drifty and not a hedge seeking missile.

Struggle is an understatement. But this happened with the Porsche cup, and I managed to get it under control by race day, so lets see. The back end loves to go out, even with no power, Most unsteady.

In other news, turned resolution down to 1080p, and whacked up the video settings to high, and it was very smooth, even on multiplayer. 4GB 970GTX. 

I actually love this car!  Along with watching a Jardier video earlier it feels like it's teaching me some things about the game, especially regarding getting the tyres into the right temperature window.  As I've said before, I didn't think it was as important as pressures and I still do think that's true, but in extreme environmental temps you definitely do need to keep an eye on the tyre temps.  The daytime conditions we're driving in at Misano are super hot, so making sure the rears don't overheat is really important as this car becomes a real handful if they do.

Yeah, loving it too.  Managed to find some pace, but I don't feel like I have total control and confidence in the car.  There are times I've attacked a couple of corners and found myself a few tenths up only to ruin my lap, but attacking the same section in a similar way on another lap and I don't gain the same time.

Gonna use my next session to try and get some laps down with a race fuel load and find some consistency.  It's just so easy to chase those lap times when you're on the server :D

11 minutes ago, davejm said:

Looks like you found those two seconds @Meers.

image.png.faab40461d8553e8f9dc3740f68702a0.png

:omg: I did! Thanks to a bunch of pointers @SharkyOB gave me regarding my setup. One hotlap behind him and bam, 1.40:467!

Look at those times, man. 9 people within 1 second. My word.

43 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Is the server up @davejm? It’s not being found when I search for it.

It's up, was just having a go!

Anyone managing to keep the rear left in the green? No matter what I do it goes a little yellow (99 - 100 degrees at its hottest), is that normal or am I missing something? 

Love how every car in ACC has its own flavour and style without making it seem artificial. The understeer ffb feels different in every car, really like that. 

18 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Anyone managing to keep the rear left in the green? No matter what I do it goes a little yellow (99 - 100 degrees at its hottest), is that normal or am I missing something?

I had that too and was informed by Sharky that it's due to too high pressures, maybe also in combination with too much toe.

As was said before, tyre pressures are everything. If you get green tyres with pressures between 27.5 and 28 psi, you're golden for grip. Maybe tweak a little bit here and there to get better handling, but the tuning model goes so deep that I'm forced to throw everything I've learned in all the years before out of the window and start again a n00b.

Sharky should do a workshop ACC car tuning, really. :eyebrows:

3 minutes ago, Meers said:

I had that too and was informed by Sharky that it's due to too high pressures, maybe also in combination with too much toe.

As was said before, tyre pressures are everything. If you get green tyres with pressures between 27.5 and 28 psi, you're golden for grip. Maybe tweak a little bit here and there to get better handling, but the tuning model goes so deep that I'm forced to throw everything I've learned in all the years before out of the window and start again a n00b.

Sharky should do a workshop ACC car tuning, really. :eyebrows:

Hmmm... I had all my tyres pretty close to 28psi or just under, rear left a bit yellow. Tried both raising and lowering by over 1psi and lowering the pressures made it overheat more. Worked a bit on reducing sliding in the fast corners and it helped but not sorted. Good point about toe, gonna try that. It's that third corner that kills them! 

On 27/10/2020 at 21:07, SANtoOos said:

Hmmm... I had all my tyres pretty close to 28psi or just under, rear left a bit yellow. Tried both raising and lowering by over 1psi and lowering the pressures made it overheat more. Worked a bit on reducing sliding in the fast corners and it helped but not sorted. Good point about toe, gonna try that. It's that third corner that kills them! 

Yeah, this car runs some serious toe in with the standard aggressive setup, which is probably needed in normal conditions to keep the rear stable and the tyres warm, but it's overkill in the high heat we'll be driving in this week.  I've reduced the toe to 1 degree (down from 2) so the rear tyres scrub less on the straights.

The other thing I've done to control the temps is open the rear brake ducts all the way.  You end up with cold rear brakes but that's way better than having rear tyres that are too hot.  It's really easy to end up with tyres that are outside of the operating window in these conditions and the car is basically undrivable once the rears are too warm.

9 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Yeah, this car runs some serious toe with the standard aggressive setup, which is probably needed in normal conditions to keep the rear stable and the tyres warm, but it's overkill in the high heat we'll be driving in this week.  I've reduced the toe to 1 degree (down from 2) so the rear tyres scrub less on the straights.

The other thing I've done to control the temps is open the rear brake ducts all the way.  You end up with cold rear brakes but that's way better then having rear tyres that are too hot.  It's really easy to end up with tyres that are outside of the operating window in these conditions and the car is basically undrivable once the rears are too warm.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I had already opened the rear brakes a bit more, sounds scary to turn the toe down so much but makes sense :lol:

Just now, SANtoOos said:

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I had already opened the rear brakes a bit more, sounds scary to turn the toe down so much but makes sense :lol:

You'd think it'd make the rear less stable, which I'm sure would be the case if you went too far towards zero toe in.  1 degree is still quite a lot though, and having the tyres in the correct operating window gives you so much more confidence in the car.  The key in race 1 on Thursday is going to be not cooking your tyres after 5 laps, I think we might actually need to manage them during the race!

Yikes, 18 hour work days means I've barely practiced the last couple of days so I'm gonna be going in very rusty later :hmm:

A reminder that we'll be racing to sprint format rules & timings.  Server should be active from 6pm as usual.

Here are the latest practice timings:-

image.png.111c3a3e51a7d321bb30322d1e7036c7.png

Chaps. I found an old piece of kit at home (although I think never used)  and passed it on to one of my apprentices to have a play.

If any of you veteran sim racing heads could give him a steer (pun unintentional), I would appreciate it. And I'm sure he would. 

• scoobysi changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu @ 19:00 - Paul Ricard Dec 10