Huge Capcom Announcement - Home Arcade

On 17/04/2019 at 08:05, Mr. Gerbik said:

:unsure: 

For those at the back, that means this thing is no more or less a pirated console than selling a Raspberry Pi with the complete mega drive release collection on it.

Presumably Capcom would be just fine if I made one of these and sold it with all their games on, but you had to go download your own emulator.

You could make that argument, although they I imagine would make one of preservation.

But if that makes Capcom's actions ok, then Capcom's actions also make pirating the fuck out of anything they do ok.

People tend to conflate copyright ownership and licenses for copyrighted works. I'm not a lawyer, but this is my understanding of how copyright works regarding software licensing.

Unless a contract exists that explicitly assigns the copyright ownership to some other entity (person, organization, etc.), the copyright of code belongs to the person who wrote the code. That code can then be licensed to others.

For many (and arguably most) software projects, there are multiple authors/developers who have contributed code to the project. Each author can license their code under whatever license they choose (GPL, MIT, BSD, and Apache are some of the most popular), but the licenses of the code contributions must be compatible with how the contributions are used.

In the case of FB Alpha, the license chosen for the project is non-commercial, and every (most? I haven't really looked into the license yet) code contribution is made under that license. Because of this, the codebase is owned by anyone whose code has been contributed to it. However, each person only has ownership (holds the copyright) over their code in the codebase.

For example, let's say I started a project to write a single program that downloads files from the internet. You decide you want to contribute some code to the project, so you write the part that connects to the internet and gets the data, but I write the part that actually saves it to the storage device. You hold the copyright to the code that downloads the files, but not the code that saves them to storage. Similarly, I hold the copyright to the code that saves files to storage, but not the part that downloads them.

In that example, you and I would each need to license the code we wrote with compatible licenses for our code to (legally) be used together. To do this, we'd probably just agree on a license that makes this possible and both use that license (but we could also use different licenses from each other as long as they are compatible).

If your code was contributed to the project under a non-commercial license, I can't take your code and say it's okay to make money from it. You own the copyright to your code, so you're the only one who can legally do that. It doesn't matter that I'm the one who started the project or that I've contributed code to it. I only own the code I wrote (or code where the copyright has been legally transferred to me).

I also can't take our project and start making money from it, even though I'm the one who started the project and have contributed my own code to it. I can only do that if I have a license from you (the copyright holder of the non-commercially-licensed code). If my code was licensed under a non-commercial license, you would also have to abide by all of those same terms.

The thing is, if a third person wants to use our project for commercial gain and both of us have licensed our code contributions under non-commercial licenses, we both need to grant a license to use our code for commercial gain. If either of us refuses to do that, the project as a whole cannot be used for that. Only the code for which a commercial-gain-compatible license has been granted can be used for commercial gain.

To use FB Alpha for commercial gain, every contributor with code in the version of FB Alpha being used must grant a license that allows their code to be used for commercial gain, but that doesn't seem to be what's happened here.

Exactly so, the licence is rolling open source non-commercial.  You contribute the code to the project but it is still YOUR code.

It's the difference between selling someone your car and saying "Sure you can use my car to drive to Tesco".  If they then take it on a jolly to Inverness then the 2nd guy is in trouble.

On 17/04/2019 at 15:45, MrMorgasaurus said:

More please

UnfitIdealHousefly-small.gif

I'm almost tempted to go and fire that up...a trip to my loft beckons.

Wasn't there some green button version? Edit: yes there was. First batch, which mine was.

On 19/04/2019 at 13:41, Benny said:

That thing actually was legitimately incredible though.

Used to have Steel Battalion lan parties back in the day.

Man what a game.

Left us long before it should of.

Must admit, I also really really enjoyed Chromehounds too, love to see another game like that again.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, memories said:

I really wish this thing could also act as a generic controller for PS4/Xbone fighters, side scrollers and shooters. You’d think they would have thought of that (maybe a cost / licensing thing?), as it would increase its usefulness immensely. Imagine playing local multiplayer SFV on it after you’ve had your fill of the 16 included games, it would be amazing. I’m not going to buy this, and I really think they’ve missed a trick here, but I hope Capcom fans get something out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Capcom Home Arcade is an absolute delight. It delivers almost all of what you might hope for, but there are some genuine surprises on top of that. Yes, the unit does an admirable job of replicating the classic coin-operated experience on a range of genuinely great games, but the biggest takeaway is how it actually introduced me to less prolific - but no less enjoyable - titles from a golden age of arcade history. Even though the line-up contains just 16 games in all, there's actually a palpable sense of discovery here and I came away from the product even more impressed by Capcom's arcade heritage.

uhoh!