rllmuk
Jamie John

"Is this game actually good?": Forum opinions on the next game you plan to buy

41 minutes ago, geldra said:

Has anyone got any opinions on Sundered on Switch (or any platform really)?

I was thinking about getting it but read a few reviews which mentioned that the amount of enemies flying at you from random directions, especially towards the end, gets very frustrating.

• Upvote 1

Trails of Cold Steel a PS3 game with a PS4 remaster.  I didn’t know this existed until yesterday, I’ve seen people compare it to Persona in terms of structure (going to school, game split into days, etc) so will this scratch that itch?

Firewatch is one of my favourite walking sim games. There's some great dialogue between the two main characters. 

The Talos Principle is a good First Person puzzle game. Kinda like Portal or Qube. I'd definitely say it's worth £4.

7 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Firewatch is one of my favourite walking sim games. There's some great dialogue between the two main characters. 

The Talos Principle is a good First Person puzzle game. Kinda like Portal or Qube. I'd definitely say it's worth £4.

I didn't realise Firewatch was a walking sim. I'm always a bit dubious about those, although I enjoyed Gone Home and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Does your character move quickly?

And does the Talos Principle have an interesting narrative alongside the puzzling, like Portal and The Witness, or is it just a straight up puzzler?

On 14/05/2019 at 18:56, geldra said:

I've been playing it after picking it up a few days ago. It's got a great atmosphere and beautiful graphics, but the game play is probably fairly average. However I'm a sucker for Metroidvanias and souls games and it shares elements with both, so I'm really liking it.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, The Bag said:

Trails of Cold Steel a PS3 game with a PS4 remaster.  I didn’t know this existed until yesterday, I’ve seen people compare it to Persona in terms of structure (going to school, game split into days, etc) so will this scratch that itch?

It's a really good JRPG, but be warned; it's really long. Part 1 took me about 80 hours, and I'm still playing Part 2 after about 20.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Firewatch, Resogun and The Talos Principle are all sub-£4 in the current PSN sale. Are they worth my time?

Firewatch is a good walking sim . Resogun is a masterpiece of a shmup. Think defender . 

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Resogun and The Talos Principle are all sub-£4 in the current PSN sale. Are they worth my time?

resogun is ace. talos principle is ace too, i seem to remember there being some interesting story bits in there but it's mostly puzzling, bit the like the witness and portal really, but probably not as good as those.

Is Yoku’s Island Express worth a cop? It’s £7.99 in the current Switch sale. Had a wee go of the demo and thought it was pretty fun. I know lots raved in here at the time, but I seem to remember some folk found it frustrating as it went on. Is that the case?

I didn't think much of it. The pinball element never really develops into anything beyond basic target hitting. Getting around the map gets pretty dull because of how you move, and you can't easily tell from looking at it where there are open paths. As a Metroidvania it's very limited, with only about 3 powers to unlock to open up the map. And then it ends before it really gets anywhere.

It's one of those where I really couldn't understand the praise it got. It seems to have got a long way on some presentational charm.

• Upvote 2

Initially I didn’t get on with it at all, but once I realised that it was a metroidvania with hordes, and not just a metroidvania, I began to get into it, and loved it by the end.   I was just seeing how big the hordes could get before I died. It suffers from the movement only being pure joy when you’re almost fully upgraded, and you will die annoying deaths a lot, but it’s definitely worth a shot if you like beautiful fluid metroidvanias. Just realise when the horde comes you either run or fight. And they will come.

10 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Is Yoku’s Island Express worth a cop? It’s £7.99 in the current Switch sale. Had a wee go of the demo and thought it was pretty fun. I know lots raved in here at the time, but I seem to remember some folk found it frustrating as it went on. Is that the case?

I wasn’t as big a fan as others, I just bought Pinball fx 3 after and enjoyed it way more.

edit- However I’d say it’s worth a try if you enjoyed the demo

• Upvote 1

Cheers. It was reading this post by @Stanshall in the Abandoned Games thread that made me think twice:

Yoku's Island Express (Switch)

The magic of backtracking combined with the precise platforming action only pinball can provide! Fantastic little soundtrack and it looks lovely but the basic concept is an exercise in frustration for me. It sets you the most basic of tasks and then withholds your progress on the gravitational whims of a bouncing ball. 

Torn, like. I really enjoyed the demo and remember the good press at the time. Should probably just take the plunge for the price of a couple of pints.

@Jamie John If you like arcade shooters, Resogun is one of the best. Nearly up there with Geometry Wars 2 as the best of its genre. 

Talos Principle is supposed to be excellent so I’ve picked that up as you mentioned it’s on sale. No doubt it’ll be on PS+ next month now. 

@Calashnikov I thought it was good. Definitely frustrating in places but I was more frustrated at myself for being crap at pinball than feeling it was totally random. Once I got into the flow of it I got much better at doing what I needed to. 

• Upvote 2

On 15/05/2019 at 21:40, Jamie John said:

Firewatch, Resogun and The Talos Principle are all sub-£4 in the current PSN sale. Are they worth my time?

Resogun is a cracking shooter which also happens to look and sound fantastic too.

If you do go for it then take a few min's to work out what you need to be doing, it's surprisingly deep and when it all comes together is very rewarding :).

I have £3-ish expiring on my XBL account soon (as a promotional balance or something? I think Microsoft Rewards?). I only have an Xbox 360 to spend it on. Was going to spend it on Vanquish but it turns out I bought that ages ago and forgot. What else is good, cheap, ad preferably quite small and self-contained?

I finished this yesterday, and actually it is rather good. The atmosphere is superb and the Lovecraft elements, including the design of the enemies, is spot on. The sense of exploration is really well done, and it shares something with Guacamelee that I liked, in that there's some clever environmental puzzles that require you to use the combat techniques you're given to traverse the environments.

The hordes are a challenge especially later on, but you're given the tools to deal with them, you just have to be careful not to get cornered.

I would give it four Shub Nigguraths out of five.

Oh and I played most of it in handheld mode, but the TV definitely lets you see what's going on a bit more clearly. The screen does get crowded when dozens of enemies show up.

• Upvote 1