Jamie John

"Is this game actually good?": Forum opinions on the next game you plan to buy

3 minutes ago, JPickford said:

I bought it but I still don't understand it.   You just wander around pretty but boring mazes pressing the win button.  It didn't even register as a game with me.

:lol:

That’s exactly what it looked like to me. But I kept seeing it near the top of the highest rated Switch games or ‘best RPGs’ lists, which I felt like I could no longer ignore. I watched some more gameplay last night and it looked very confusing indeed, so I think I might be out on the Switch version.

That’s a good shout on trying to first act on PC @Gizamaluke, which I may do at some point, but even then, I guess there are probably better examples of this genre on PC by now (Divinity: Original Sin 2?) that I’d be better off trying.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the polar opposite of Diablo 3. They may share perspectives, but one is a mindless hack and slash that a lobotomy patient could manage and the second is one of the most deep, complicated (yet rewarding) RPG's you could ever play.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Pretty much more of the same, but I think the original has better level design, with one or two exceptions, and in a post-MGSV world the stealth mechanics have started to feel dated.

I think the sequel's levels are more intricate and, taken in isolation, better put together. But it feels more like a bunch of individual puzzle missions vaguely themed by the backstory. The original's journey through the city mirrored the narrative arc much better, and the themes of redemption, betrayal, rescue by the humble and the long journey back to revenge. And like I said, all framed by a painterly eye.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, smac said:

Both games are great. I personally prefer the art style and game world of the first, but the second's basically as good. Play it as Emily.

Is she the stealthy one or the stabby one? I might get bored of stealthy and just want to go "sliceanddice" on everyone instead.

Diablo is one of those blizzard games that seem pretty shallow but if you want to get into it there's a wealth of things to learn and improve on.

It's a bit like WoW where you only really start engaging with the more complicated and interesting mechanics at the level cap. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Is she the stealthy one or the stabby one? I might get bored of stealthy and just want to go "sliceanddice" on everyone instead.

Both characters can be built for mayhem, as I recall; been a while since I played it. Although I think the game mechanics reward a mix of stealthin' and stabbin'

I did a Corvo run-through first, replaying the remaster of the first game and DLC and then into this, and did Emily as an afterthought; I think she has the more interesting skill-set, so go for her first.

The final game, Death of the Outsider, is worth a punt if you're still interested in the game world but isn't as good as the first two. A decent finale.

I have both Pillars of Eternity (with expansions) and Torment: Tides of Numenera as my next big RPG investment. Which should I go for and why?

Dishonored 2 is being undersold in this thread a little I think. I’d say that overall it’s as good as the first game, which I rate as a classic. The sequel does feature two of the most mind-bendingly beautifully designed levels of all time though. I agree that Karnaca isn’t quite as cohesive and thematically satisfying a location as Dunwall but across the two characters there’s more variation in the powers and playstyles available to you, especially playing as Emily who’s the one more overtly geared towards a stealthy approach.

Death of The Outsider also well worth playing as it’s effectively a third game in the series and provides a satisfying cap to the overarching story.

• Upvote 2

Yup, I would not argue with anyone who preferred the second, or with anything you say; there were a lot of gameplay tweaks and like I said, the individual levels were more complex. Both are great games. I did the lot in a single epic playthrough: the first one plus all of the DLC in the remaster, the second game, then Death of the Outsider.

I just love the melancholy of Dunwall. Must have played that first game a half-dozen times, now.

• Upvote 1

FFXII on Switch. Never really got to play the PS2 version as I was working two jobs and watched this parish's Captain Novaforce clear it in bits and pieces instead. Good for a commute game you reckon?

5 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

FFXII on Switch. Never really got to play the PS2 version as I was working two jobs and watched this parish's Captain Novaforce clear it in bits and pieces instead. Good for a commute game you reckon?

It's fantastic. The best FF since VII. Give it a few hours to get going, but once it does the battle system is second to none. I played and adored the PS4 remaster last year, so I can't see any reason why the Switch version would be different. A lot more expensive, mind.

• Upvote 2

It's not so strong in terms of story and characters, but the exploration and combat system are still excellent. If you're happy to take your time scouring maps, doing side quests and tinkering with your party set up, it's absolutely worth it.

• Upvote 2

FFXII is awesome but you kind of need to set aside time for it at first - I bounced off it a number of times because I wasn't really taking things in and thought "it's Final Fantasy, it can't be that different from the others" ...and then I got nervous and hid in a corner as soon as it started talking about gambits and licences. If you clear your gaming schedule and allow time to savour it all, it pays off in the long-term. :) 

• Upvote 1

On 15/04/2019 at 07:40, Paulando said:

I could try the cart, I suppose :unsure:

I'll send you the cart if you want to try it.

JP is right, it's not really a game, just something to do while you watch a movie or something. I've bought it 4 times, so there must be something to it. I hear it's good when you crank the difficulty and have 4 players in a party.

17 hours ago, Qazimod said:

FFXII is awesome but you kind of need to set aside time for it at first - I bounced off it a number of times because I wasn't really taking things in and thought "it's Final Fantasy, it can't be that different from the others" ...and then I got nervous and hid in a corner as soon as it started talking about gambits and licences. If you clear your gaming schedule and allow time to savour it all, it pays off in the long-term. :) 

I'll be playing it 90 minutes a day every weekday so I suspect I'll immerse myself.

2 hours ago, Spacehost said:

I'll be playing it 90 minutes a day every weekday so I suspect I'll immerse myself.

The sidequest hunts are brilliant as well, one of the best things about the game.

• Upvote 2

How good is Cuphead then really? I'm thinking of getting it on the Switch.

I know it's tough, but is it like really really tough, or just a good solid challenge - what would it be comparable to? And is the overall level design good, or is it all about the bosses?

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

How good is Cuphead then really? I'm thinking of getting it on the Switch.

I know it's tough, but is it like really really tough, or just a good solid challenge - what would it be comparable to? And is the overall level design good, or is it all about the bosses?

In short, it's a very good game, an artistic labour of love and one of a kind in a number of ways. I would say it's well worth the money but I also have a couple of reservations. 

To get into the details, it's basically 90% boss rush with a few run and gun stages sprinkled throughout. There is no level design, as such, more just a series of obstacles selected from the map.

It's properly hard but you generally feel that you make progress. It's hard both in the memorisation of patterns and phases and more so in the execution of dodging projectiles. It plays pretty much like Contra or Metal Slug with a dash and a 'parry' where you can deflect certain projectiles and boost your special meter. It feels quite twitchy, very responsive, much more so than Mario, for example. I find it about as hard as Hollow Knight which I gave up on because it's too hard for me! It actually feels quite like Hollow Knight in terms of movement, too. 

The main issue for me is that I generally experience the same pattern of failure and success throughout the game, without ever feeling like my improved knowledge is particularly transferable. It's like starting from scratch with each new boss and phase. Eventually you learn the attacks, learn how to avoid them and learn how and when to punish. It's very Soulsy/arcadey in that respect but because that's all there is to the game, you never really feel yourself getting better, it's a very Sisyphean loop. It can be really satisfying and tense and challenging but it's arguably missing a little of the intangible 'fun factor'.

Despite that, as I say, I would recommend it because you won't have played another game with comparable presentation, and when you figure out a boss after twenty attempts and then destroy it without taking a hit, it's really satisfying. Caveat emptor, though: It is fackin 'ard. 

• Upvote 2