rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Megadrive Mini

37 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I'm not sure M2 are really to blame for what are (in the grand scheme of things) very minor issues. They are work-for-hire with timescales and budget constraints. I think they've done a good job given the cost of hardware involved but perhaps they spread themselves a little thin here what with 70-odd games across 3 separate versions.

Both Virtua Racing and Phantasy Star on Switch have been excellent and have the usual qualities you expect of M2 - additional features, perfect emulation, good CRT filters etc.

I agree with this but I also think it's time for people to stop using "it's M2!!" as some sort of confident assurance of near perfection as soon as something is announced.

They can do great work when they have the resources but also appear willing to do less than great work for a paycheck. Also, to be honest I think the level of tolerance a lot of us have for imperfections in a megadrive emulator is fairly low in 2019. It's not exactly a new frontier.

• Upvote 1

* The MDM is not as good as the SNES Mini despite everyone saying it is. When it's not. I've just proven it. The SNES Mini gave me precisely what I wanted, unhacked; this does not.

All that proves is it's not as good for you.  It's as valid as saying it's worse than the SNES Mini because it doesn't have Starfox on it.

For me, it's exactly as good as the SNES mini but then I don't use CRT filters on anything because universally they only serve to make things look shitter. Because we have good screens now and we should use them.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, partious said:

I agree with this but I also think it's time for people to stop using "it's M2!!" as some sort of confident assurance of near perfection as soon as something is announced.

They can do great work when they have the resources but also appear willing to do less than great work for a paycheck. Also, to be honest I think the level of tolerance a lot of us have for imperfections in a megadrive emulator is fairly low in 2019. It's not exactly a new frontier.

This is true - but comparing to the competition for these (thinking the recent d3t and backbone collections) I still think this is significantly better.

Would have I preferred someone else? Maybe Digital Eclipse would be good these days - I have been very impressed with their latest efforts on the Disney NES titles.

5 hours ago, Sketch said:

* The MDM is not as good as the SNES Mini despite everyone saying it is. When it's not. I've just proven it. The SNES Mini gave me precisely what I wanted, unhacked; this does not.

The Mega Drive Mini has a worse CRT filter, yes. I just checked it out for myself - it's just an overlay of lines, and they don't even fit between the rows of pixels properly. I thought I'd stopped seeing these wrong scanline filters after the early 2000s. I wish that they hadn't included it, for fear that some unwitting Argos families might actually use this CRT filter and think that's what the games are meant to look like.

Then again, I wouldn't use the SNES mini's CRT filter either. It was much better than this, but still rubbish. I never expect the CRT filters on commercial products to be worth a damn, and so I'm never disappointed.

(My personal taste is: No fancy CRT filter, just gentle softening to take the hard edge off the pixels. If an emulator allows it, I choose bilinear filtering + 2x scale, which halves the blurriness of the bilinear into a gentle softening. Unfortunately commercial products never offer this -- it's either full vaseline bilinear or nothing.)

So given that I wouldn't use the CRT filter on either mini, they're a draw. As for some other comparisons I can make between SNES and MD minis:

Input latency = DRAW. They're both totally tolerable for software emulation.

Audio latency = SNES wins. People say they both have delayed audio, but I really notice it on the MD mini.

Emulation accuracy = DRAW. They are both perfect for the layman and decent enough for the enthusiast. Yeah some music in Comix Zone is imperfect, but then again, the background effect in Yoshi's Island's "Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy" is broken.

Game selection = Depends on your preference. Many classics from both systems. I hate to say that 20 SNES games are worth 40 MD games, but... yeah. DRAW.

Regional selection = MD mini wins. Yeah they make it fiddly with the Language settings, and it's made even fiddlier for European buyers. But at least they put regional variations on there. Nintendo didn't at all: they loaded up their Euro Classic Minis with NTSC games. So I appreciate the MD mini reflecting a British experience - converted to 60hz, of course. You can find the US versions of Contra and Castlevania... if you change to Korean...

Hardware: DRAW. You mock the working cartridge flaps, but let's face it, this will be a shelf ornament to most of us by next week. I think the build quality of the units and the controllers is about the same -- although some have said that buttons can stick after a while on the MD controllers. But the MD looks cool.

I genuinely didn't know about the 6 button mode in Shinobi 3. That has blown my mind. Is it possible to get on the Classics compilations for 360, PS3, Switch etc?

I'd also love it for Revenge of Shinobi!

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

* Supermarkets have no concept of what Bechamal sauce is. I literally cannot buy pre-made bechamal sauce. They all proclaim "white sauce" or "lasagne sauce", but all of them put cheese in them. This is not fucking bechamal. This is Mornay sauce. Mornay mother fuckers, MORNAY! Which is fine, I like a nice mornay, but sometimes I need god-damn bechamal. This thereby forces me to make bechamal myself, from scratch, like some kind of peasant.

Also I can't find any fucking bechamal sauce, which is really irritating.

tenor.gif

But you are right about the M2's work on the mini.

While I do think this is the best mini out of the box, the CRT filter leaves a bit to be desired, and is not up to M2's usual excellent emulation (as seen in the Sega classic range on the 3DS for example)

I think M2's work on the 3DS was in part outstanding because they'd put years of work into optimisation and reverse engineering and rebuilding individual games to rock stereoscopic 3D before releasing a single thing - and they were stand alone releases with increasingly bespoke extra content and modes. By the end of the maybe 5 or 6 year production run it was safe to say that they'd become masters of the platform and that their final games especially really showed this off.

The MD Mini project on the other hand was a reaction to the negative outcry from fans that ATGames were involved with Sega's response to Nintendo's excellent value Minis, and was something like a 12-month endeavour from conception to production using almost identically-specced low-end hardware.

And as much as I hate to sound like an apologist for standard capitalist practices (seriously) I don't think there'd be much of a market for a Mini that required massively more R&D investment and pricier hardware to make it sing and keep the enthusiast grumbles at a minimum. 

M2 are no doubt juggling a bunch projects of varying technical and creative challenges and this year some of their contract work hasn't met fan expectations. For me though they'd have to do a lot worse than screwing up Comix Zone's audio or phoning in a useless hamstrung 720p CRT filter on a £70 Mini console to sully their reputation.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Had a quick go of Street Fighter 2. I couldn’t figure out how to kick with Ryu. :unsure:

Pressing START switches between punches and kicks.

• Upvote 1

I've just ordered one of these but not been really keeping up with it. I'm just wondering how saving works, is it similar to the snes mini? Also, can you get back to the game selection from the control pad?

Great. Stupidest part of the snes mini is hitting a button on the console. Unforgivable oversight.

3 hours ago, dave7g said:

Great. Stupidest part of the snes mini is hitting a button on the console. Unforgivable oversight.

True, but easily sorted via hack where you can set it to any button combo you like. 

So as someone who only had Nintendo consoles back in the day and played an MD a handful of times at friend's houses, what's considered MUST PLAY out of this lot?

Into ARPGs, traditional shooters, platformers and have already played Darius to death recently.

I love the menu music!!

EDIT: Oh, Megaman is the first 3 NES games... YAY!

I actually sat down and played MD Virtua Fighter 2 properly this evening. I've always thought it sucked. but.... It plays as well as a 2D version of that game should. I just plowed through arcade mode as Akira and was surprised how many of the original VF2 moves are actually in it. The chiptune version of Ride the Tiger is pretty sweet too. Plays great with the 3 button controller. I take it all back. It's a solid pick. Also played Toejam & Earl in co-op with the wife for 2 hours having a right laugh. Where has this game been all my life? It's brilliant!

One good thing about these mini consoles is you actually bother to try everything out before it's hacked and  you chuck on all the games you've played to death before :lol:

9 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

So as someone who only had Nintendo consoles back in the day and played an MD a handful of times at friend's houses, what's considered MUST PLAY out of this lot?

My top 10

Streets of Rage 2

Shinobi III

Sonic 2

Gunstar Heroes

Monster World IV

Super Fantasy Zone

Castlevania TNG (Play Bloodlines through the korean menu though, it's uncensored. Save a state as soon as you boot it then change back to english in the menu, and you can quick load it)

Castle of Illusion

Toejam and Earl

Comix Zone

My top 10 that's going on when it's inevitably hacked:

Rocket Knight Adventures 

Streets of Rage

Revenge of Shinobi

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Aladdin

Splatterhouse 3

Zero Wing

Soleil (Crusader of Centy)

Musha

Robocop Vs Terminator

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Down by Law said:Revenge of Shinobi

33 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Revenge of Shinobi

Did you not say Super Shinobi is already accessible if you change the language to Korean?

32 minutes ago, gratuitous sax said:

Did you not say Super Shinobi is already accessible if you change the language to Korean?

i think it changes the games region, but not the games that are actually on the console

In Korean Shinobi III becomes the Super Shinobi II which the same as it's Japanese title

Revenge of Shinobi = Super Shinobi (I) and isn't on this unit. Only JP or ASIA got it unfortunately.

Streets of Rage 1 is the biggest first party omission IMO in all regions

3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Castlevania TNG (Play Bloodlines through the korean menu though, it's uncensored. Save a state as soon as you boot it then change back to english in the menu, and you can quick load it)

Awesome tip. Cheers!

• Upvote 1

No probs.I think @MW_Jimmy discovered that. Great trick, I did it for Probotector as well, so it boots into JPN Contra , with hit points. I might actually beat it that way !

• Upvote 1

Wait - this outputs at 720p? Why on earth? 720p looks like garbage on the vast majority of tellies.

15 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Into ARPGs, traditional shooters, platformers and have already played Darius to death recently.

I love the menu music!!

EDIT: Oh, Megaman is the first 3 NES games... YAY!

Again I wave at my sig but if you've never played any of these games...

Obvious

Sonic 1 (and 2 later but play 1 first, 2 will ruin 1)

Shinobi 3

Contra / Probotector

Castle of Illusion

Less Obvious

Gunstar Heroes

Toe Jam and Earl

Super Fantasy Zone

Golden Axe

Story of Thor

Sonic Spinball (No really)

And obviously Street Fighter but if you had a SNES that's not gonna surprise you.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

No probs.I think @MW_Jimmy discovered that. Great trick, I did it for Probotector as well, so it boots into JPN Contra , with hit points. I might actually beat it that way !

Contra as well?! Take all my poss good sir.

1 hour ago, Meh said:

Wait - this outputs at 720p? Why on earth? 720p looks like garbage on the vast majority of tellies.

Looks bloody amazing on my 720p telly.

1 hour ago, Meh said:

720 seems to scale precicely to 4k

• Upvote 1