rllmuk
Nespresso

Wolfenstein Youngblood - Co-op Nazi Hunting (July 26, 2019)

What a sad shame. Absolutely loved TNO/TOB/TNC and was well up for giving this a cooperative bash with one of my pals. Glad I held off before buying. 

• Empathy 1

I just lost an hour on brother 1 after getting to some floor covered in lasers. It kicked me right back to the sewer entrance.

I am... in shock. No checkpoints. What

But get this... it didn’t reset my ammo. It kept track of all the extra life crates I’d used... just kicked back to the start and have to do it all over again but without the progress I originally had.

How did that get through?

Didn’t watch the whole thing but it’s weird how the women characters he liked are the ones with severe mental health problems (hellblade), unrealistically enhances breasts (old tomb raider) and aren’t even actually women (Detroit: become human).

The only issue with the female leads in Youngblood are that they act and talk like 12 year old boys and that the game is shit.

• Upvote 1

It's a bit of a shame IF this game is not that good.

But fuck me if the real shame isn't these shit videos by weirdoes that wanna talk about a lack of common sense and then quickly move on to the characters being wrong because their dad was a super robot Nazi Hunter that killed Hitler.

That shit about "It's fine if they're females, as long as it makes sense to the story"

:facepalm:

The amount of shit paper thin male "characters"

In games makes that  hilarious.

It's kinda weird playing this ultra violent murder game where the protagonists are basically ripped straight from Life is Strange but I like it. Even more so if it winds up fragile manbabies.

• Upvote 2

I think if the main characters are badly written, fair enough. Just weird - and sadly predictable I suppose - linking that to their gender and making wider points about gender and videogames.

Gonna wait until the first price drop to take the plunge on this. I wasn't a huge fan of TNC, the story was ace, but the difficulty was f'ed up for me. I'm hoping this will be better balanced.

Yeah the Skillup guy loathes it! That's a really good breakdown of everything that he hated about it. Didn't realise it's so built around co-op that it is kind of fucked up if you're playing solo. 

Enemy health bars do not belong in a game like this. Fine in a looting/shooting game. Slightly worried about Doom Eternal now, although I have faith in the ID guys. Bethesda is on a really bad run at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Another damning review.

Watched that this morning and he did a good job of breaking down the issues with the game - he was a huge fan of the last Wolfenstein. The writing of the two main characters seems terrible which is a shame because they had the chance to create two new female characters that people could have connected with. 

Pretty damning review of it. And what makes it even more disappointing is that in his e3 round-up, this was one of his top picks. 

The actual shooting feels great. I stuck it on casual, which still provides a challenge (ish) and enemies heads pop a lot quicker.

I remember the devs saying something along the lines that it’s a longer game than the previous 2 (it is) but still a lower cost release (it is) and isn’t that a bargain (it isn’t). Chiefly because you’ll be going back and forth through the same areas many, many times. The enemy layout doesn’t even seem to change.

Bethesda really do seem to want to put holes in their own boat with there recent string of releases. They probably have a whole team trying to work out how to ruin Doom Eternal at the moment.

It's a 7/10 game released at a mid price point. I understand it's not a masterpiece, but a lot of people seem to be really worked up about it.

Oddly the game structure reminds me a bit of the first Destiny. You have this hub where you can shoot in the range and play arcade machines whilst you wait for your co-op buddy, then head out into small-ish areas to do fairly repetitive missions, but the shooting feels nice and the weapons are fun and as you get more you can access different areas and find new collectibles and secrets.

I don't quite get the currency yet. I kitted out all my guns fairly early on, so I've got loads of coins or whatever and have no idea what to do with it all.

I will say that I'm having fun with it still though. I had to force myself through Rage 2 until I eventually dropped it, but I look forward to my time with this.

Reading reviews of the game it feels like

they drew up a checklist of stuff I’d like to see in a new Wolfenstein and then did the opposite in nearly every case.

• Upvote 1

This game smacks of looter shooter and microtransaction elements being smeared all over something for no reason other than to pad it out and maximise profit.

• Empathy 1

I got this free with my graphics card. Played it for an hour then deleted it, and the bothersome Bethesda launcher. I shit for a minute when my Rage 2 shortcut was deleted by the uninstaller as well. Thought it was going to be another Bethesda fuck up but luckily it was only the shortcut it deemed to delete.

Thought the game was shit. And I got it for free.

And that was on casual. Had to put it on easy at which point it became a piece of piss. They can’t even level difficulty properly.

On 29/07/2019 at 22:36, Hitcher said:

Another damning review.

Now this looks like a shitty game. 

...and a good, well made review that's much more useful and down to the nitty-gritty, rather that whatever heavy gonzo subjective shit that places like EG like to spout now-a-days. 

• Upvote 2

Rather than wait for a 35gb dl. I’ve chosen not to be arsed and delete it. I had got to a point with a boss that was just horrible and cheap with no fun or reward to be had. 

It just feels all wrong to me, the shooting feels off, enemies become bullet sponges and that ammo switch for the right enemies is dumb and stops the flow of fighting. And the open world element doesn’t work for me in this series. Intense arenas are when these games shine.   Sure someone will discover the buildings are cut and paste from dishonoured soon. 

Ive definitely hit a point with gaming that I’d sooner just quit than trawl through mediocre rubbish wasting my time. Did the same with rage 2. 

Sorry Bethesda but next time I’m waiting for reviews and more importantly peoples verdicts in here before I buy. 

Roll on Doom in November