Cadence of Hyrule

I've definitely improved mind.... I feel like i'm better at Crypt, after finishing Cadence.

Also using the Dpad has been a massive help for me. I always used the analogue stick on Crypt, but when Cadence told me that Dpad is the preferred method, i found it a lot easier.

I've also mentioned it a few times, but Disco Descent is such an amazing tune. I'm so glad they used it at the tutorial part when you play as Cadence. The saddest thing about it though, is that the song is only used again in a dungeon in Kakariko village (or so i have found)

Completed Cadence today.

It's good, but I can't help but think at over four times the price I've been a bit short-changed. It is far too easy, after a few deaths early on you quickly become far too over-powered and can destroy pretty much everything by about half way through. 

Looks and sounds lovely, but I wish there was a roguelike dungeon crawling mode included in the package, the amount of content in this is minuscule compared to Crypt.

Yeah, I agree. Doesn't help that Crypt is always in the sales,so its usually really cheap.

The layout of the map is random however, so if you start a new game, all the different areas would be in different places, so there a bit of replay value there, but definitely a bit steep price wise.

The fact that i keep returning to crypt, and i'm not that bothered about going back to Cadence is pretty telling mind.

Two dungeons done and I think I'll only stick with it to the end because of the Zelda theme and it's a pretty novel idea. It's too easy after a bit of upgrading and feels repetitive now I've opened up the whole of Hyrule apart from that little section.

Maybe it makes more sense in the original which I've not played, but with the wealth of ace Zelda music at its disposal it seems a waste for the gameplay to be based on some basic moving to a beat stuff rather than some more sophisticated following of the actual songs in fights. Not that I'd know how that would work in this, but killing enemies on the beat is not as satisfying as it should be. It all seems too straightforward. Maybe the difficulty level is the issue as has been noted. The game doesn't require you to get better beyond an early understanding so perhaps refinement, enemy variation,  and value of different weapons and items is simply lost.

It's a shame because you do get a sense that these people do really love Zelda and have had loads of fun making this.

It's alright and something a bit different and I don't regret buying it, but it's not amazing.

The reviews mentioned that the dungeons are randomly generated, but the overworld is to a certain degree as well, right? I say this because I started the game again after a week without playing it, and the third screen I played on the overworld (from Link's house, it was one screen right and then one screen up) was completely different to what it had been on my old game! First time through, it had a Lynel. Second time, no Lynel and completely different enemies.

I’m really stuck on the Lost Swamp dungeon (the first one I’ve been to). I’ve finished it (as in, the music went back to normal after defeating all the enemies), but there’s now nothing to do next and no way to open the chained up door outside the dungeon - it looks like the standard nightmare door from Zelda that requires a Boss key. I’m clearly missing something obvious and have no idea what it is, but there are no walkthroughs that can help me because of the roguelike nature of the game! I got the map and the compass in the dungeon, and there’s one slot left on the map screen... should that be for the boss key?

There’s also a blue arrow that appears in the dungeon that essentially points to nothing, and then when I get to its approximate position another blue arrow appears in the opposite direction. Aaaargh.

@Eighthours Are you just missing the exit thinking it’s the stairs you came down? For the temples you essentially have to make your way through three mini dungeons to be able to traverse the screen the boss door is in. In the final dungeon you will get the boss key. If you have done all that make sure you haven’t missed an area hidden behind a digable wall.

5 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

@Eighthours Are you just missing the exit thinking it’s the stairs you came down? For the temples you essentially have to make your way through three mini dungeons to be able to traverse the screen the boss door is in. In the final dungeon you will get the boss key. If you have done all that make sure you haven’t missed an area hidden behind a digable wall.

EDIT: Found the second mini-dungeon and then everything was fine. Thanks for the help!

This game definitely didn't receive enough love. Completed it last night and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Was probably a little too easy in places but enjoyable none the less.

I have one last purple chest to unlock and then i'm done. Super charming little game and a bit sad it's come to an end!

Finished it yesterday myself and thoroughly enjoyed it too. Moreso than Crypt. The final boss was a bit underwhelming but I prefer that to a drawn-out multi-phase thing that every other game goes for, getting there was challenge enough.

• 5 months later...

This got updated with a dungeon crawler mode (more like Crypt of the Necrodancer) and Octavo's story mode.

Octavo has a very powerful weapon, so once I got a couple of extra hearts I felt invincible... until Hyrule Castle.

It changes the character of the game a bit. I quite enjoyed bouncing around mopping up the monsters without having to think too much.

Anyway, go try the new free update folks :)

That's great news - I'll have to check this out when I'm home.

It really should have launched with the dungeon-crawler mode. I bought this, completed the story, and haven't gone back since - whereas with Crypt I still play it from time to time.