rllmuk
RastanSaga

Xbox one recommendations.

I mostly play retro and have made do with a Ps4 for a few years.

It's my birthday next week, and I fancy an Xbox one now, so going to use my birthday cash for one :)

I've fancied Cuphead for a while, so that's near the top of the list, plus a few first person shooters I missed on Ps4...I do prefer the Xbox pad.

please could I get recommendations for anything good for the system....physical or digital.

totally out the loop...apart from I got Cuphead on my radar.

thank you.

2 minutes ago, RastanSaga said:

I forgot about forza! Exciting :)

I'll check all recommendations out.

thank you.

Halo: Master Chief Collection. Every Halo game, including ODST and soon Halo Reach.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I'd honestly suggest getting a Game Pass subscription. Any exclusives are mostly on there plus some other bits and backward compatible titles to check out.

I'll check this out...not heard of that before...I'm guessing it's like ps now...

I'll Google it now though - thank you.

1 minute ago, RastanSaga said:

I'll check this out...not heard of that before...I'm guessing it's like ps now...

I'll Google it now though - thank you.

If you are comparing it to psnow, prepare to have your mind blown.

• Upvote 8

Don't forget to sign up for Microsoft Rewards when you have your gamertag set up. You can get free Xbox live, Game Pass and Xbox store credit simply for using Bing as your search agent.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/rewards

Oh and please check out Ruiner. It's amazing on a proper controller plus it's currently free with Game Pass too.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/ruiner/9nlqtdkd0pmt?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

• Upvote 1

I'd strongly recommend Rare Replay, which is by far the most loving, carefully put-together games collection I've had the pleasure of playing. Also, as mentioned upthread, take a look at the 360 and original Xbox compatibility; Panzer Dragoon Orta, for example, is a delight to play.

Also, having played and completed it with a smile on my face on PC, I also recommend Crackdown 3 for open world fun, yours for the princely sum of a free Gamepass trial subscription.

(I also have a lot of love for Sunset Overdrive and the oddity that is Screamride, but your mileage may vary)

• Upvote 3

EA Access (£20 for a year) for a crap tonne of EA published Xbox One and Xbox 360 games.    Plus 20 hours trial on every game they launch.  I think it's pretty cool .

• Upvote 2

It's worth pointing out, especially if you're in to retro stuff that some (all?) of the original xbox games now play at 1080p. I've only tried Panzer Dragoon Orta and it looks like a whole new game. Ninja Gaiden Black is on game pass, so that's a quick way to try the OG xbox games out and see how they look. 

• Upvote 1

Gears of War 4! If you get an X and have a HDR 4K TV it’s a great game to showcase the system. 

Halo 5 is great and pretty underrated. 

21 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

It's my birthday next week, and I fancy an Xbox one now, so going to use my birthday cash for one :)

I've fancied Cuphead for a while, so that's near the top of the list, plus a few first person shooters I missed on Ps4...I do prefer the Xbox pad.

please could I get recommendations for anything good for the system....physical or digital.

thank you.

Rare Replay is great if you love retro games... Lots of content right there for little money.

If you like racers it's a great console! Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7 being the latest of a great series (also seek out the earlier ones in the series Forza Horizon 2 in particular is very blue skies arcade set in Southern France and Italy).

Lots of indie titles to try.

GamePass is awesome value for money too and a great introduction to some of Xbox One's finest. Lots of discounts to be had too on this. Definitely worth subbing too for 3 months. Cheap way of trying lots of content!

Enjoy its a great console!

21 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

thank you.

Not to be a total prick but as someone who owns both PS4 and XB1X, there's relatively little point buying the latter for the exclusives. FH4 and Cuphead are very good but they're not really system sellers, in my opinion. If you fancy something genuinely different, spend your money on a Switch. BotW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Smash Bros, ARMS, MK8D and (most likely) the upcoming Super Mario Maker 2 are amazing games which simply don't have an equivalent anywhere else.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Stanshall said:

Not to be a total prick but as someone who owns both PS4 and XB1X, there's relatively little point buying the latter for the exclusives. FH4 and Cuphead are very good but they're not really system sellers, in my opinion. If you fancy something genuinely different, spend your money on a Switch. BotW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Smash Bros, ARMS, MK8D and (most likely) the upcoming Super Mario Maker 2 are amazing games which simply don't have an equivalent anywhere else.

Suppose it depends on what types of games are of interest.

I have all three consoles and like them for different reasons. Xbox and Switch get the most use TBH. Switch is a no brainer if you love Nintendo games. Great variety of games on there.

Think the Xbox is the best console for racers IMHO and GamePass is amazing value for money.

Agree through Xbox or PS4 is a great combination with the Switch.

32 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Rare Replay is great if you love retro games... Lots of content right there for little money.

Wouldn't it be more correct to say if you love old Rare games it's great?, otherwise, eh.

As somebody who would probably rate Blast Dozer as the most memorable Rare game I ever played, never been swayed by the existence of that collection. It's certainly amazing value if you're a big fan of Rare.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Wouldn't it be more correct to say if you love old Rare games it's great?

True but think there is something for everyone in that collection... Great value for money....

Warning about Cuphead... It's looks cute but it's very old school mechanics (part of its charm I guess!). Brought a bad case of gamers torrettes... Fun though .....

• Upvote 1