rllmuk
Goose

Midsommar - New Film From Hereditary Director Avi Aster

Following on from the success of last year's Hereditary, Avi Aster returns with Midsommer, a film set in Sweden that tips more than its hat to the likes of The Wicker Man. 

Some interesting imagery in this first trailer. 

The film follows a couple, played by Jack Reynor (Strange Angel) and Florence Pugh (Outlaw King), who are traveling through Sweden to visit their friend’s rural hometown for its fabled mid-summer festival. What begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult.

The film will also star Will Poulter (Detroit), William Jackson Harper (The Good Place), Ellora Torchia (Broadchurch), Archie Madekwe (Teen Spirit) and relative newcomer Vilhem Blomgren.

Capture.PNG

• Upvote 7

It will be interesting to see how the careers develop of some of these young directors who broke through with horror films, mainly thinking of the directors of The Witch, Get Out, Hereditary and It Follows. Wonder who will have the best career. 

The guy who did It Follows, his follow up Under The Silver Lake mostly got panned by critics. I've had it on my watch list for months, not seen it mentioned on here. Kind of come and gone. 

On 05/03/2019 at 20:07, Loik V credern said:

It will be interesting to see how the careers develop of some of these young directors who broke through with horror films, mainly thinking of the directors of The Witch, Get Out, Hereditary and It Follows. Wonder who will have the best career. 

The guy who did It Follows, his follow up Under The Silver Lake mostly got panned by critics. I've had it on my watch list for months, not seen it mentioned on here. Kind of come and gone. 

I watched Under the Silver Lake. It was very different to It Follows, and I'm not sure it was good, but it was certainly interesting.

On 05/03/2019 at 21:07, Loik V credern said:

Came to this thread because I just saw the second trailer for the first time today and it looks ace. As for the question above, Eggers' The Lighthouse premiered in Cannes this week to incredible acclaim.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/may/19/the-lighthouse-review-robert-pattinson-shines-in-sublime-maritime-nightmare

Jordan Peele seems to be doing very well, both critically and commercialy. 

Seems there is lots of talent at the moment.

I won’t watch the trailer as it sounds right up my street.

The best stuff in Hereditary was the last five minutes in the treehouse so it sounds like he could make a decent fist of this tale.

Lots of HYPE reviews coming out about this now (although I remember the same being the case with HEREDITARY, which was an overall disappointment) so I'm jumping on board the hype train. 

Comparisons to TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and everything. 

Most importantly, it's supposed to be funny too, a key requirement for a good horror imo.

Also, Florence Pugh is amazing; check out LADY MACBETH if you haven't to see a star in the making.

I saw a trailer for this before Brightburn, and there was a bit where one of the characters was frightened and screaming, "How is it still daylight at 9pm?!"

I thought, mate, have you been outside lately?

• Upvote 9

lol yeah if they are finding it hard to get their head around that i worry about chances of survival handling all the other weird shit they're bound to come across. 

WWFWP

will watch for will poulter

i wonder if anyone would have got that if i didn't say it

Ari Aster aside, my main reason for wanting to see this is finding out that The Haxan Cloak has done the soundtrack. I've loved his work for a long time but he'd been a bit quiet over the last couple of years.

• Upvote 1

I should imagine if you got annoyed by the silly witch stuff at the end of Hereditary, this might well be more of the same, judging by some of the brief floaty bits in the trailer. Personally, I love silly witch stuff.

What if there is no supernatural stuff and it’s just a gang of idiots getting freaked out over unusual but not that crazy things.

“The shops have closed early!”

• Upvote 6

I'm kinda sad my burly saxophone man crush Big Col Stetson isn't doing the soundtrack again. I'll still watch it in the cinema but probably with a sp404 loaded with different samples of reverb drenched foghorns I'll trigger at key parts of the film

• Upvote 5

Hereditary was my film of the year and I loved the Wicker Man growing up so this should be right up my street. It's an 18 cert as well! 

On 30/06/2019 at 06:12, Harsin said:

What if there is no supernatural stuff and it’s just a gang of idiots getting freaked out over unusual but not that crazy things.

“The shops have closed early!”

This is a great point (though made in jest). Hereditary was a tense, interesting and suspensful film right up until the point the supernatural elements came in (during the seance). Of course it's a matter of taste but the second half became silly and non-scary afterwards. I hope his second movie doesn't go all silly again but I highly doubt it.

It's also 2 hours 20 minutes long. It had better be good.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

This is a great point (though made in jest). Hereditary was a tense, interesting and suspensful film right up until the point the supernatural elements came in (during the seance). Of course it's a matter of taste but the second half became silly and non-scary afterwards. I hope his second movie doesn't go all silly again but I highly doubt it.

It's also 2 hours 20 minutes long. It had better be good.

I think that may be why I was disappointed by the ending of Hereditary. I'd taken the film up to the last bit as being not supernatural at all. It seemed to be about the destructive psychological effects of growing up in a cult 

Spoiler

but then it turns out that no, they actually did summon a demon. I was like oh.

But with Midsommar I'm prepared for it to be supernatural, so hopefully I'll enjoy it more.

Saw this last night and loved it. It is

the Swedish Wickerman though

though that is ok with me. Some genuinely funny, laugh out loud moments as well.

The scene where you thought you were listening to the score and the camera panned around to three musicians playing it was brilliant. The added 'help' during the fertility sex scene was another unexpected humorous part

Loved the dancing scene, it really conveyed the whole energy of the ritual.

I was surprised it was an 18 as apart from the very gory

double cliff face suicide

I didn't find it that bad. 

Do feel this is going to perplex quite a few cinema goers this weekend.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, sofasurfer said:

Saw this last night and loved it. It is

Reveal hidden contents

the Swedish Wickerman though

though that is ok with me. Some genuinely funny, laugh out loud moments as well.

Reveal hidden contents

The scene where you thought you were listening to the score and the camera panned around to three musicians playing it was brilliant. The added 'help' during the fertility sex scene was another unexpected humorous part

Loved the dancing scene, it really conveyed the whole energy of the ritual.

I was surprised it was an 18 as apart from the very gory

Reveal hidden contents

double cliff face suicide

I didn't find it that bad. 

Do feel this is going to perplex quite a few cinema goers this weekend.

How does it compare to Hereditary? Didn’t get on with that one at all. Feels like Avi Aster is trying to crack-handedly remake all the best 70’s horrors on the sly, and this seems like his Wickerman riff. I’m half expecting his next film to be called ‘Do Look Now’.

• Upvote 3

‘Seems like a bit of a Wicker Man riff’?!

It couldn’t be riffing any harder on the Wicker Man if the soundtrack was done by a band called Landlord’s Daughter & The Corn Riggs.

• Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

How does it compare to Hereditary? Didn’t get on with that one at all. Feels like Avi Aster is trying to crack-handedly remake all the best 70’s horrors on the sly, and this seems like his Wickerman riff. I’m half expecting his next film to be called ‘Do Look Now’.

It feels different from Hereditary for me. That film had a sense of real dread whereas with this one you pretty much know how it will end up if you've seen The Wicker Man.

It's well over 2 hours long and not once was I bored by it. As I said before, I really am surprised about just how funny it is.

Thinking about it more this morning it really is about one woman's descent into madness for me. Whereas Hereditary had a theme of dysfunctional families, this has a main character who is clingy with her boyfriend, has a bi-polar sister and suffers a real tragedy and then deals with a bat shit mental pagan cult with a boyfriend who wants out of their relationship. What was most disturbing was just how happy she was at the end of the film. The close up of her smiling face, to me, showed she had finally cracked and was ready to join her new 'family'

35 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

Leave it out @ZOK, I’ve no interest in getting into a straw man argument with you. 

Agreed. No need to go making a mountain out of a maypole.

• Upvote 1

I won’t be accused of parapraxis! Even though internet psychology is a favourite hobby horse of mine.

Walked out as the end credits honked and clanked thinking, ‘what a load of twaddle’. I enjoyed Hereditary, flawed as it is, and at least felt invested in that film’s characters.

Here found everyone bar Pugh’s Dani an irritant so was willing mass murder by about the 30 minute mark.

Overlong, tedious and self-indulgent. Agree there were a few surprisingly funny moments, but bar those all-to-brief moments of emotion, the rest of the film is a thankless chore.

A load of fucking idiots in a field. Kill them all.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I loved it. I liked Hereditary a lot, but this is a very different beast, despite sharing many of the directors visual flourishes. Anyone going in expecting a fright fest horror movie is going to be disappointed. Instead we get a creepy as fuck break up movie. 

Florence Pugh continues her run of being brilliant in everything she’s in. And I loved this from twitter.

F6814959-B93D-4227-98BE-A9FA70A64B6B.png

• Upvote 1

I've spoilered so as not to derail. Surprise surprise, it didn't work for me. 

I loved Hereditary. I was well psyched going in. Gutted.

Spoiler

I didn't like it AT ALL. Had none of the wit or delicacy of a Peter Weir or even Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue! I won't dare compare it the obvious in here because I wouldn't sully it's memory. There were odd tones of like, Friday the 13th and Eurotrash at times. 

I thought it was thin, yet bloated, portentous and silly. Punctuated with a few pleasant surprises and shocks, but nothing that informed or enriched the narrative in any way. 

The fodder friends who get picked off were just woeful. The rivalry on thesis that goes nowhere, just fills air... 

Oh man this one bounced right off me. My screening collectively Partridge shrugged too.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1