rllmuk
meatbin

New Star Manager

New Star Games latest football manager sim is out on Switch and Steam, and has no In App Purchases!  (The Android and iOS versions do have IAP)

Some impressions from the Nintendo eShop Thread below:

@Gotters

On 14/02/2019 at 09:41, Gotters said:

New Star Manager - its proper giving me the feels of my much missed and beloved New Star Soccer before it got broken, that pull to just play another game, smacking in goals, the in game sections are really good and greatly beefed up from the old days with dribbling, passing into space and off the ball runs.

The management side feels a little less slick to control and may be better suited to touch than controller, but its nothing a few rounds of matches won't get things understood - its not all explained that well from the outset though.

I started a thread about games I buy and never play - chief among them being football manager - this may be the footie manager game that I finally bond with, I even searched for players and signed a couple last night, which is usually where I give up on the big FM games.

Its still only a cautious thumbs up, but it is only £15.

On 16/02/2019 at 10:31, Gotters said:

I'm halfway thru my first season in New Star Manager and still loving it, its so immediate to play and perfect for those quick Switch on/off bitesized moments of gaming. 

I've started to build up some money and get to grips with the management menus & systems, its a tight balancing act at all times rotating players to keep up their energy and choose the matches to rest them up. The highlight though are the in game events, its really been beefed up since I abandoned New Star Soccer and you get some really cool passages of play that can be quite tense in a close match.

I love the media pressure moments where you get asked about your club staff names or players - really puts you on the spot and you get a couple of bonus cards for being successful.

It's a little buggy so had to restart the software a couple of times when I lost the ability to make subs, or music started playing all the time, but minor issues.

I can see this being my go to on the switch for months, its a bargain at £15.

On 17/02/2019 at 07:16, Gotters said:

New Star Manager starts to get to you when things fall apart - my glorious first season promo push is falling apart with 3 straight defeats in the league and an unhappy group of players - I've mostly ignored their happiness to focus on energy and may have gone a bit first season Klopp at Liverpool and worn them all out - I won't post a running commentary of my season but @unleashedmaniac maniac said if you're on the fence (a few people seemed to be) then give New Star another chance - I vowed never again (and won't on my phone for free) but am so glad I went back.

Now I hope they don't fuck it up and having taken my £15 introduce IAPs and an in store shop in a future release - if they do I'm done with it.

20 hours ago, meatbin said:

New Star Manager - early impressions. 

After a couple of hours play I'm hopelessly addicted. 

All the mechanics seem sounds so far, the UI is easy enough to navigate, the on-the-pitch gameplay is fun, and the club progression stuff is satisfying and very much like the mobile game when it was good. 

The tutorial is a bit naggy, but afterwards you can see why it's necessary. 

It's a shame the touch screen controls seem so vital, since I'd like to play this in the dock. That's not to say you can't play docked, and I will try it some time but touchscreen in combo with the joycons feels so right. 

@Mitchell

19 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Agreed....it's a bit fiddly with purely joycon controls, sometimes I find myself with something highlighted, but a button press doesn't select it, as my selection area is elsewhere.  Bit odd.  Using touch as well is more easy (mopving players, adding NRG, etc).  It's a little slow going I think though, unless I'm doing something wrong and have invested in an odd place for a first season?  I've got very little money, tiny squad so can't sell anyone, lots of players pissed at me for some reason or another and some runs of games leaves me with under half energy for loooads of players.  I am 2nd though!  And in a sick way, I am enjopying it!  I understand that it kinda has to be like this early on, or it'd be too easy.  

Slowly phased out my old fuckers for young bucks, but then hit a period of time where I could only afford more older fuckers, so I'm back to square one, but with a slightly better team!  

Nobody got this then?  :(

I tweeted Roll7 with my issue and they just liked the tweet and haven't replied.  :lol:

• Upvote 5

This has been by pick up and play go to game for the last couple of weeks - I'm still in my first season as don't get much time but just the odd 10-15mins lets me get a couple of matches in.

I made a big call when I got an offer for a decent striker, but I was well stocked up front and could get 2 decent CMs in for the fee - I did sit looking at the screen for a few mins though to decide to take the bid !

I do struggle with player happiness as seem to need to take the energy cards at the end of the match to keep my players fresh so always get told my players aren't happy as I don't have coaching cards to use. I also take the Jose approach to injured players in that they are dead to me (I've had a bad run of outfielder hand injuries for some reason too).

I've only played docked and find playing with a Pro controller fine once you get used to it. 

Played this a lot yesterday, I'm about 36 games into my first season and top of the league by 15 points or so.  

So far I've not sold any key players amid all the offers, and I've the most I've spent is 10k on 26 year old central defender.  My best new acquisitions have come from the Youth Team cards, and the Manager Levelling Up cards!    I love the Youth Team cards, especially when they start as rookies, but the manager levelling up gifted players is a bit cheap; I was given a 46 young Striker absolutely free, miles better than my other strikers... Took away some of the satisfaction of looking for bargains, and keeping my existing 'star strikers' happy.

Still really enjoying it, but I can already see that the progression is a bit linear i.e. earn money, spend money on upgrades to earn more or get better players etc.  I would like to see a bit more football related progression, such as player training (seperate from training cards), player loans, more press interaction etc.  But hey, I'm going to try and forget about all of this and just enjoy the fun aspects of the game, which there are plenty.

5 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I do struggle with player happiness as seem to need to take the energy cards at the end of the match to keep my players fresh so always get told my players aren't happy as I don't have coaching cards to use. I also take the Jose approach to injured players in that they are dead to me (I've had a bad run of outfielder hand injuries for some reason too).

It took me a while to find out what the 'Meeting' cards do... If you have some then these improve player happiness significantly.  

Just now, meatbin said:

It took me a while to find out what the 'Meeting' cards do... If you have some then these improve player happiness significantly.  

Yeah I've just not been getting many of them - seem to be 2 flavours too, you get team meeting cards you can only play at HT by tabbing across 2 screens and you play a mini game to recover energy - its quite hard as have to avoid the 'red' comments - my tip here is to not recall the whole phrases but just the first words to avoid.

How are people approaching match day formations and tactics ?

I don't really scout a team and look at their formation in terms of how it matches up to mine at all, I just look at if I'm playing a highly placed team or not and stick with my favoured formation tweaking the approach (attacking, counter, balanced) if I'm home or away. So away to a top 6 team I'll start on the counter.

I then manage my effort once the game has started depending on if I'm comfortably winning or chasing a deficit.

Only time I alter my formation is if injuries mean I've run out of players and can't field 3 CBs for example.

The youth team coach seems important as gives you a nice supply of decent ranked players to integrate into the team, far more effective than signing the equivalent level of player. I like how players are classified as rookies until they played enough to lose the tag.

Squeaky bum time in the run in for me now of my first season - think last time I finished a season in a football manager game was a summer holiday around 1982 with Kevin Toms Footy Manager on the speccy.

• Upvote 1

Also loving this. I agree that the need for energy cards means that you have to often forgo some of the other longer term cards like skill, youth etc. 

The players fatigue so easily that idea a constant rotation of the squad and you're left with off the or two tired players starting the match and only tired players on the bench.  Still, it's addictive as all hell.

• Upvote 1

Upgrading the pitch early on helps fatigue, and there is a 16k fitness centre upgrade I never quite afford (as need money for player contract renewals) which enhances recovery.

Players also fatigue faster if you play them out of position, or whack up the effort too often.

I decided to forgo the cups first year and rotated out all my best players those weeks to rest them

• Upvote 1

I'm a 343 direct man, then counter when I've a lead to sit on. Currently shifting unpopular and past it players on.

It's great how much football can be played between giving players runs to make, then dribbling before releasing into spaces. It's really satisfying. I wish there was some kind of crossing/heading included (doesn't seem to be).

• Upvote 1

I don't use them much but love the off the ball runs, its funny how with less graphical flourish and options your brain fills details in, sometimes I'll run in one direction and make a second player do a run in an opposite direction and imagine that I'm playing some impossible no look pass into perfect space for smashing home.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I don't use them much but love the off the ball runs, its funny how with less graphical flourish and options your brain fills details in, sometimes I'll run in one direction and make a second player do a run in an opposite direction and imagine that I'm playing some impossible no look pass into perfect space for smashing home.

Yeah I'm a regular Ronaldinho dropping off.

Haven't touched my formation, still playing the the default 442 with the occasional switch to Counter depending on the game status... Won the league and Cup last night in my first season, so it seems to have worked! 

I think my favourite thing about this game are the off the ball runs, and long shots... So satisfying. 

Top tip, if your attacker runs offside, just do an off the ball run to get him back onside, and then fire off a ball in space in front of him. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, spork said:

I'm guessing the mobile version is still filled with the pushy in app purchases which completely ruin the flow of the game? 

Not really. They're there of course but they're not overly intrusive.

I agree with everyone who thinks this is brilliant. I've loads to play on my Switch at the moment, but this is all I'm playing. A return to form.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, this is great - nearly finished 3rd season.

Love it - but having no crossing is a little strange. Short corners have to be order of the day.

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

Yeah, this is great - nearly finished 3rd season.

Love it - but having no crossing is a little strange. Short corners have to be order of the day.

You can cross by using the shoot button, pop a bit of bottom spin on it and it will float nicely for a header.

• Upvote 2

Great read @Nosejam, thank you.

Definitely agree about investing in youth players early on. I'm doing a lot better since I started avoiding the transfer market and focusing on developing what I had. Squad happiness counts for a lot (obviously a Solskjaer fan) and keeping management, contract and development concerns low is helping no end with getting my players doing what I want them to do.

Just finished my first season going on a glorious 6 match win run to streak home to the title - now for the shock of a higher league.

Decided to ask the board for money to upgrade youth & training facilities which helps with player recovery post match and gives me better youth player cards, so hopefully a good investment.

Now the sad part starts of legends like good old Perret up front getting too old and being found out in a tougher league .......

Best £15 I've spent on a game in years.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I'm doing something with this game which maybe warrants a thread of its own, just as soon as I can articulate it. Definitely still enjoying it a lot.

now I'm intrigued, are you playing it using only the waggle controls from inside the Labo robot suit ?

• Upvote 2

This game is glorious. Absolutely glorious. It's amazing just how much you can get out of semi-realtime, semi-turn-based, 2D game engine with two button controls. My favourite trick is turning into the defender just at the moment I know he's going to slide in for the tackle. Pelanty!

I'm into my second full season after finishing third and getting promoted via the playoffs in my first season. I'm currently fifth and 4pts off the lead.

I'm unable to upgrade anything at the moment as I'm constantly having to spend money renewing contracts.

I made the mistake of ploughing money into building extra stands quite early on without checking their effect on ticket sales. I've just got loads of empty seats every match, so I've had to jack the ticket prices up to increase revenue, the ungrateful bastards.

• Upvote 2