The Saturn Appreciation Thread

strider

On 21/05/2021 at 07:27, SeanR said:

no, but... the wired Saturn version is £16 on Amazon.

I look at them every month. 

You see, when it was just my PAL model 1 I thought it an extravagance that I didn’t need. Nice to have, but unnecessary.

but now I have a white NSTC-J model I’ll order one on payday.

less than £15 now, delivery is a bit shit though 

Retro-Bit Official SEGA Saturn Control Pad for Sega Saturn - Original Port - Slate Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H3Q5XKL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9HFFAMPQADKEJJRD2M5J

2 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Does that work?!

If not, there’s a mod that makes saving work without a battery. 

I can't find it. My Action Replay doesn't seem to work either. When it's in it boots immediately to the Action Replay screen. I've tried adding the Action Replay bin file to the SD card but it doesn't seem to do anything.

55 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

What you need is a memory card ;) 

I have got one but it routinely doesn't let me boot certain saves so I think it's on the way out.

I don't know about the carts being flakey, I think it's more likely the cart slot.

Recently my main cart stopped being read - and my other memory carts (which were empty and in storage for years) don't work either.

I can't be arsed to pull another console out for testing yet but at some point I know I'll need to give my main console's slot a thorough clean, look at the traces through a magnifying glass and attempt to reflow anything which looks cold / cracked.

This is why I don't ever want to rely on the cart slot for anything - especially for booting out-of-region games or CD-Rs. Not on these decades old machines which are otherwise built fantastically. 

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

Lovely box. Almost too nice to open...

0952BAE0-31A9-448D-9044-E570233D7A7F.thumb.jpeg.02bc76982ccc15ddfd9c83591c802ebe.jpeg

I don't want excuses, I want results...get on it! :D

I bought a pair of those and thought they were great. L/R not quite right but good enough!

28 minutes ago, merrychan said:

I don't want excuses, I want results...get on it! :D

I bought a pair of those and thought they were great. L/R not quite right but good enough!

yeah, some of the Amazon reviews said “not clicky”. I say “clicky enough”.

A soft click, if you will. Better than the plasticky “gonna break!” brittle fragile click you get with some of the mark 2 pads, anyway. you know, the click, then the squeaky plastic sound and the rocking... so much rocking.

I don’t have any batwing mk1 pads to hand.

Kinda wish I did, just for their... uniqueness.

53 minutes ago, SeanR said:

yeah, some of the Amazon reviews said “not clicky”. I say “clicky enough”.

A soft click, if you will. Better than the plasticky “gonna break!” brittle fragile click you get with some of the mark 2 pads, anyway. you know, the click, then the squeaky plastic sound and the rocking... so much rocking.

I don’t have any batwing mk1 pads to hand.

Kinda wish I did, just for their... uniqueness.

My grey jpn Saturn pads were well on their way out and replacements I bought we're about the same so I think they're a great alternative.

Also very generous cables!

The thing with the not-quite-right clickiness in the recent Retro-Bit Saturn pads is that the specific micro-switches in OG controllers stopped being manufactured a long time ago. They had to use the nearest best alternative they could source.

Also there's nothing wrong with the mark 1 controller IMO. It's big but comfy, and the d-pad is also great (even if it looks a bit weird). I'm glad I have one and only wish it was part of a pair.

I think I might have too many Saturn controllers, thinking about it. It's all Saturn Bomberman's fault.

In fact, before 8bitdo / Analogue came along and finally graced the world with excellent 3rd party MD pads I was keen to transform a spare Saturn controller into a 6 button MD one. That's how dire the situation was.

On 19/05/2021 at 14:53, mikejenkins said:

Burning Rangers as long as you have an English version

On 20/05/2021 at 09:24, pastry said:

Burning Rangers

I just tried Burning Ranger for the first time, as its been on my radar since I saw it round a friends in 1996, and um, it seems like, a bit shit?

The tutorial was interminable (but fine, its the 90's) but then the game starts and there are loads of mechanics that aren't explained. There is a meter that seemingly changes from red to green on its own free will, a "limit" percentage which I have no idea what it indicates and I "think" a temperature graph? On top of that, the dodge isn't even explained in the tutorial. it says that you have to press down on the d-pad? But I think you have to actually press any direction and jump quickly (I think). It certainly isn't just "down" to perform more than once dodge.

Playing the first level wasn't great. The controls are pretty unresponsive and sluggish and the framerate seems to vary wildly, which really doesn't help the matter. Those trigger explosions seems to get to the point where you are just dodging around like a madman waiting for them to end until you (half the time) die? Are you supposed to be shooting when this is happening? 

Also, the lack of mini-map makes navigation nigh on impossible, especially when you reach a section where the lights are cut, so you are running about with about 5 meter radius visibility.

Can someone please explain to me what I am missing? :unsure:

EDIT: It seems that I should be playing it with the analogue controller?

Analogue, absolutely! 

The dodge is literally down on the stick, doing that when you hear a "whoosh" will automatically jump you backwards. It's a simple mechanic and I feel sure it was in the tutorial? Maybe not.

Agree the tutorial is over long, so it goes. But the game itself is full of charm and magic, and the basic premise is just something you don't really ever see – a game where you help people. I have always found that refreshing. It has twee elements but they just add to the charm for me.

Re: navigation, you press X for directions from the rest of the crew. They'll help you find your way. Limit percentage - when you put out spot fires this will go down. When it gets too high explosions will begin to occur. So.. do your job as a firefighter :P

If frame rate is bothering you.. i mean fair enough, it's old - PAL or NTSC? I played the PAL game at launch and had no concerns, but i would think today you'd go for NTSC, despite any PAL optimisations there are quite a few games transformed by running at the higher NTSC frame rate - take SEGA Touring Car for example, still a bit dodgy but the frame rate is immensely improved in the later NTSC-J release.

In all honesty it's been many years since I played BR, one of those games I'm not sure I should go back to because it forged such a special place in my gaming memory at release. 

I also didn't get on with Burning Rangers, it just did nothing for me. I've tried it a couple of times but could never get into it. I'm also playing the PAL version, but I don't think it's refresh rates that are bringing my experience down. Maybe I'll give it another go, I need to set my Japanese Saturn back up because I've got a bunch of games arriving today (fingers crossed Fedex don't fuck it up again). I'll also drag one of the PAL Saturn's out as I can at least swap the connection to my monitors then between them.

7 hours ago, pastry said:

Re: navigation, you press X for directions from the rest of the crew. They'll help you find your way. Limit percentage - when you put out spot fires this will go down. When it gets too high explosions will begin to occur. So.. do your job as a firefighter :P

It took probably 20 years of owning this game before I finished the tutorial (having had much the same experience as Tomdominer previously and chucking it in a drawer) and twigged that the above is critical to getting any enjoyment out of it - it then just clicked and I had a great time with it generally. The camera and general mechanics are pretty ropey but everything was in the 90s, and it wasn’t bad enough to make me give up on the game. 

I haven't played Burning Rangers since it came out. Whilst I do remember enjoying it a lot at the time (although I don't think I ever finished it), I do also remember feeling like it was potentially rushed towards the end due to the Saturn's imminent demise. It was one of the final games to be released as I recall. I remember even at the time the graphics seemed pretty ropey. I've been meaning to give it another play for ages.

Another one I wouldn't mind giving another try at some point is Deep Fear. That was another one released right at the end of the Saturn's life and it was basically Sega does Resident Evil, but where they'd somehow got it in their heads it was the campy dialogue that people really loved about Capcom's work.

Burning Rangers would've been a fantastic Dreamcast game, that's for sure. It needed a little more content and obviously Sonic Team were asking a lot of the Saturn. Regardless, it's a great game and I will always appreciate the nostalgic joy it has continued to bring to my life.

I think I will try playing it again.

I also want to play PDS again but knowing that some of the town stuff is rather ropey puts me off. The battle system is still going to be immense of course!

13 minutes ago, pastry said:

Burning Rangers would've been a fantastic Dreamcast game, that's for sure. It needed a little more content and obviously Sonic Team were asking a lot of the Saturn. Regardless, it's a great game and I will always appreciate the nostalgic joy it has continued to bring to my life.

I think I will try playing it again.

I also want to play PDS again but knowing that some of the town stuff is rather ropey puts me off. The battle system is still going to be immense of course!

I played through Saga (well got to the final disc until my save corrupted) and I didn't find the town sections that much of an issue. If anything I was surprised by just how tiny they felt revisiting them.

On 30/05/2021 at 14:12, strider said:

I can't find it. My Action Replay doesn't seem to work either. When it's in it boots immediately to the Action Replay screen. I've tried adding the Action Replay bin file to the SD card but it doesn't seem to do anything.

The Action Replay cart can't actually be used as a traditional memory cartridge. It's not a memory cartridge, despite what the box says. Only a save transfer/storage device.

This is the 4-in-1 cart? I've got one of the old models from 1998, with a serial port, and it's still going strong. Though sadly it can never be used as a memory cart, for things like the NiGHTS creature life data or anything. I just periodically copy the internal saves over and back them up. I don't think you can bypass it booting to its splash screen.

On 30/05/2021 at 15:15, strider said:

I have got one but it routinely doesn't let me boot certain saves so I think it's on the way out.

Random info on Saturn cartridges:

http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/information/Cartridges.htm

and

https://segaretro.org/Saturn_Backup_Memory

54 minutes ago, pastry said:

I played it through a month or two ago and streamed it to Twitch. The town stuff is fine - there's barely any of it anyway!

In fact the only thing that really surprised me was how I managed to mess a few things up in my replay, whereas I utterly rinsed the game when I first got it back in the day. In fact my first ever play through was so successful I didn't even realise you could screw certain things up.

2 minutes ago, Zio said:

In fact the only thing that really surprised me was how I managed to mess a few things up in my replay, whereas I utterly rinsed the game when I first got it back in the day. In fact my first ever play through was so successful I didn't even realise you could screw certain things up.

Such as? Spoiler tag if needed.