rllmuk
Isaac

Super Mario Maker 2 - Nintendo Direct May 15th

I think online co-op etc will come eventually, Nintendo are getting better at updating games now and it'll be a real shame if they miss the potential for this.

13 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

What do you mean by restrictions? Part of what makes Mario Maker so ace is having to work within constraints. It looks to have built on Mario Maker a fair bit to me. There's all those Nintendo created levels too. Presumably they will add more stuff to play around with down the line.

I's definitely improved. Maybe i am being a bit too harsh there - slopes and vertical levels will definitely be a massive improvement for level design.

However, apart from that it seems that the existing styles are practically the same as the original SMM1 styles, just with a couple new items and the night themes. They really could have added a bunch of new enemies IMO and more bosses.

"Rules" are nice but you are restricted to not having a checkpoint during the level (although this kinda makes sense in a way, if you missed coins etc).

There is also a QOL thing that most SMM players have wanted for ages and it's not been added.

There is also one other thing that I have been asked not to talk about , but it was something that smash bros ultimate did very well and i was hoping that SMM2 would have something similar. Again, to most probably not a big but it would have made the game a bit more awesome.

Good news is apparently docked is better than expected for making levels.

However, i do feel DLC or updates will play a big part for the game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, ryodi said:

Finally decided to pre-order the game via the eShop and the offer with the free stylus has ended. Very annoying. 

Oh man. I was going to do it after this week myself too. :(

4 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

"Rules" are nice but you are restricted to not having a checkpoint during the level (although this kinda makes sense in a way, if you missed coins etc).

It does have checkpoints, and this time you can put a power up in them.

58 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

It does have checkpoints, and this time you can put a power up in them.

If you make a level with rules, ie - collect 5 pink coins before you finish a level - you can not have a checkpoint is what i have been told.

You are correct you can put a item into a checkpoint though for regular courses.

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

If you make a level with rules, ie - collect 5 pink coins before you finish a level - you can not have a checkpoint is what i have been told.

You are correct you can put a item into a checkpoint though for regular courses.

The "invitational" final had a level that included checkpoints and collecting X red coins.

2 minutes ago, Pixelbark said:

The "invitational" final had a level that included checkpoints and collecting X red coins.

But they were coursebot levels, not uploaded levels.

edit: ill double check later anyway, but the exact words i was told "you can't have rules on levels with checkpoints - which is understandable when it comes to collecting coins and such".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/06/2019 at 15:18, Pixelbark said:

Red coins are a feature from the first game, not the new rules feature that’s being discussed.

• Upvote 1

Indeed red coins are optional anyway.

I've been keeping an eye on the treehouse event and there is some really cool stuff being shown. The flipside SMW level looked great from a puzzle element. I see a lot of people trying to create stuff like that! Infact I have an idea of something already..

The Luigi assist mode looks good too - kind of reminded me of lemmings! Not sure if this is available outside of story mode though.

Regarding what i couldn't talk about before, it was more down to the music choice in the game. I was hoping for a stack of music to attach to your stage like Smash Bros. It's a bit more limited than that - 1 song from mario 64, one from mario kart, 1 from mario galaxy etc etc but maybe they could release more music with updates

Being able to play from friends in a future update makes this back to being great again though =)

This is worth watching, it's actually a decent showcase and a nice interview. I'm so used to edgey cringe that this actually left me feeling a *little* bit warm inside. I love Tezuka.

Something pretty big I've realised is the structure of the 3D world stuff is like an addition to the WiiU theme that you can select separately. So when changing themes everything will transfer over from the original 4 unless you go to the "Extra themes" menu and select 3D.

Theme-s. I'm 99 percent sure there will be another theme there and I'm gonna call it: Mario Bros 2. Left testicle.

I've wanted SML2 as the extra style HOWEVER it's quite clear that whatever they are going to add is an extra game style like 3d world. This means that it's likely to be something that can't be done in the other styles and requires it's own set of rules - so it's unlikely to be SML2 as it doesn't really do anything different the earlier styles can do.

So, you have stuff like - 

SMB2

Yoshi Island

Any 3d Mario game

2 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Or something that has nothing to do with Mario?

You mean like Zelda or Metroid? It's possible and definitely would be wanted, but under the name of Super Mario Maker? Hmmm

44 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

You mean like Zelda or Metroid? It's possible and definitely would be wanted, but under the name of Super Mario Maker? Hmmm

Mario Kart 8 has F-Zero, Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing and Mercedes Benz. I wouldn’t rule anything out.

There’s currently a 10% off code on eBay if you spend over £50 - “PRICEWIN”. I just ordered the limited edition from ShopTo (£49.85) and a cleaning cloth for my glasses (£0.99), which works out to £45.75 with the code.

I don’t think you get a stylus, but I’m not sure.