dumpster

Bad games transformed by patches and remasters

The March 2016 update for Street Fighter V that added challenges and lobbies. There were other good updates later on too - notably the addition of cinematic story mode and the free release of Arcade Edition - but for people who just like playing Street Fighter, this was the one that mattered.

Burnout Paradise had no "restart last event" option until it was patched a year after launch. I never played it during that period, but I can't imagine how people coped with it, since the game is so reliant on retrying events to get familiar with the optimal route for each one. I imagine it must have been particularly frustrating for the Burning Route time attacks, where you've probably only selected a certain car purely to tackle its Burning Route stage.

I almost never play games after a big patch. Generally I buy games I want near launch and so if they don't release it working that's what I remember. With digital games I guess that might change, as I always used to just trade the disc in. I bought NMS on disc at launch, played it for a few weeks then sold it. I'm glad that they've fixed it, but I'm not paying for it again, especially when a bunch of the people saying its improved loved the game that was released at launch. Maybe I'd bother to try that again if it was digital.

7 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

No Man's Sky is a prime candidate here, although I maintain it launched as a good, pure game that knew what it was - even if the marketing pressures made everyone else involved forget, from publisher to creator. 

I don't think pretending that this was some forgetful blunder is helpful. Murray went on TV and straight up lied about the game two weeks before it was released. I'm not suggesting that he's evil or that he deserved the bullshit that he got on Twitter, but people have a right to feel aggrieved that they were mislead about major features by the developer, and I think fans of the game trying to paint it as some sort of innocent mistake are being fundamentally disrespectful to those people in a way that won't convince them. In fact I can tell you for sure that every apology I read for their behaviour makes me more sure I'll never be buying another one of their games at launch.

6 hours ago, womblingfree said:

GTA5. You couldn't play it for more than ten minutes at launch without it freezing.

That's just not true. Maybe you had issues with your copy or console? I was playing from two days before launch without the day one patch and never experienced that. It also clearly isn't a game that people missed out on or thought was bad at launch and so doesn't really answer the question this thread is asking.

5 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Burnout Paradise had no "restart last event" option until it was patched a year after launch. I never played it during that period, but I can't imagine how people coped with it, since the game is so reliant on retrying events to get familiar with the optimal route for each one. I imagine it must have been particularly frustrating for the Burning Route time attacks, where you've probably only selected a certain car purely to tackle its Burning Route stage.

Prime example actually. Loved the first four games, bought that at launch, found it unbearable to actually play and never touched it again.

7 hours ago, carlospie said:

Ff14. Totally remade. 

This is the one I agree the most with. They took what was an absolute disaster at launch and in the space of two years (and in secret as they were still supporting the original game) completely redeveloped it into the best MMO around. An absolute triumph of victory snatched from the jaws of defeat. It’s an incredible game now and by some accounts kept SquareEnix afloat as they were navigating choppy waters.

No Man’s Sky another good candidate. Diligent work on that game since its underwhelming release has seen it blossom into a really expansive curio that’s delivered on its initial promise.

The Division turned things around too. The endgame and loot system was dreadful on its release but Ubisoft and the devs made a genuine effort to engage with their playerbase and ended up pretty much retooling the entirety of the underlying systems, adding free content, new areas and modes along the way. It’s a fully-featured title now with a shitload to do and many ways to do it.

4 hours ago, Broker said:

I don't think pretending that this was some forgetful blunder is helpful. Murray went on TV and straight up lied about the game two weeks before it was released. I'm not suggesting that he's evil or that he deserved the bullshit that he got on Twitter, but people have a right to feel aggrieved that they were mislead about major features by the developer, and I think fans of the game trying to paint it as some sort of innocent mistake are being fundamentally disrespectful to those people in a way that won't convince them. In fact I can tell you for sure that every apology I read for their behaviour makes me more sure I'll never be buying another one of their games at launch.

That's not really about the game itself though is it? Personally I don't follow games media or read interviews or anything, so I never felt I was misled in any way by NMS - it was a solitary space exploration game, pretty much what I was expecting.

At some point in all the changes it probably peaked, but I prefer what it was then to what it is now.

22 hours ago, max renn said:

Does Resi 6 have the upgrades for the base PS4? I'd love to re-visit:wub:

I'm playing on a base PS4 and it is really great fun. Wasn't keen at all on the 360 in 2012, but I've played through all the characters scenarios over the past couple of weeks and loved every silly minute. 60fps makes a hell of a difference. On the 360 I'd say it was one of the worst in the series, but on Ps4 I'd put it ahead of 5 and just behind 4.  

20 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

Done understand why OP is getting negs. It's a legitimately good topic.

I guess I'm  not allowed to like Resi6 on this forum.

• Upvote 2

How have the patches changed Drive Club (single player mode) besides adding bikes?

I love most arcade racers, but tried this four years ago and hated it.

Worth another go?

52 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I'm playing on a base PS4 and it is really great fun. Wasn't keen at all on the 360 in 2012, but I've played through all the characters scenarios over the past couple of weeks and loved every silly minute. 60fps makes a hell of a difference. On the 360 I'd say it was one of the worst in the series, but on Ps4 I'd put it ahead of 5 and just behind 4.  

I guess I'm  not allowed to like Resi6 on this forum.

Resi 6 is a masterpiece of madness. I loved it then and I can't wait to play it through once more.

Thanks for the info :)

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’m waiting for the patches and updates to RDR2 to turn it into a good game.

Nah, this is the thread for improvements . Not for patches that turn Great games into Good games.

Forza 5 was pretty bare bones when it launched. They added a lot more cars and tracks overtime to fill it out. Not so much a transformation though.

GTA Online was a pretty transformative patch when it came out. Certainly in terms of $$s made for R*.

Surprised to see that Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines hasn't been mentioned yet.

So, that. Fan-patches eventually turned a broken, unfinished mess into something beautiful (if still janky).

@Nick R I think Paradise was patched about a MONTH after launch for 'retry' not 'a year after launch.' - we added a lot to the game for a year after launch. One of the first teams to do so much. In fact ,we helped the format holders optimise their procedures to so many updates as it was unheard of in 2008.

and hey the thread is BAD games transformed. And Paradise was never a bad game...

• Upvote 6

32 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Surprised to see that Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines hasn't been mentioned yet.

So, that. Fan-patches eventually turned a broken, unfinished mess into something beautiful (if still janky).

You can add KOTOR2, the PC version of Saints Row 2, Temple Of Elemental Evil and a few others besides to that. If a game is worth keeping alive there are modders out there who will do it.

4 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

@Nick R I think Paradise was patched about a MONTH after launch for 'retry' not 'a year after launch.' - we added a lot to the game for a year after launch. One of the first teams to do so much. In fact ,we helped the format holders optimise their procedures to so many updates as it was unheard of in 2008.

and hey the thread is BAD games transformed. And Paradise was never a bad game...

Big fan of Burnout, but can't imagine playing Paradise without the option to restart an event. Glad that was put in before I'd bought it. 

6 hours ago, bum said:

How have the patches changed Drive Club (single player mode) besides adding bikes?

Worth another go?

Depends exactly when you played it. For me, Drive club has the best rain and weather effects of any home game ever. This was a prominent part of the pre-release publicity but when the game came out it was a buggy mess, with an online system that just didn't work and many of the promised features such as the weather missing.  The patches came thick and fast, a couple of Gb here, a couple more GB there, and eventually an enormous patch that introduced the weather and extra content that was missing. DC is the best driving game of its kind (Its not pure arcade like Burnout 2, not pure realism like Gran Turismo, but a good halfway house in-between). The game today is a transformation compared to what's on the disk. 

7 hours ago, Bojangle said:

How does a jump to 60fps fix a fundamentally broken, and bad game? Magic?

No, the fundamentally broken parts were fixed with patches, and the shift to 60fps improves the feel of the game enormously.  It was never a bad game, but was definitely a flawed and broken one. They've fixed that.  

7 hours ago, bum said:

Worth another go?

like dumpster says it's not really arcade or sim, it's in the middle, like pgr. and yeah the online/clubs which are a big part of the game were broken for a while, and they added weather later, i'd say the stuff that is important to me like the handling and tracks were great from day 1.

6 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

For the dates when the Restart option was added, I was comparing the January 2008 launch date to the announcement of the February 2009 patch - I found a couple of contemporary news articles reporting it, but this archive link is the one cited in the game's Wikipedia article:

https://archive.is/20130120051947/http://criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=384

But I agree that even before that, you'd added a generous number of significant free updates in the first year:

https://burnout.fandom.com/wiki/Game_Changing_Content

6 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

True! It's not bad like the thread title says, but I thought it was fair to mention it because a few others (like the person who nominated Skyrim) had already taken the title to mean decent games significantly improved by patches!

8 hours ago, spatular said:

like dumpster says it's not really arcade or sim, it's in the middle, like pgr. and yeah the online/clubs which are a big part of the game were broken for a while, and they added weather later, i'd say the stuff that is important to me like the handling and tracks were great from day 1.

I'm not bothered about online, as I only play single-player.  If the handling is still the same, then I guess it's just not for me.