rllmuk
Soulstar

Ridiculous unjustified retro listings

We had these sorts of things crop up in the past but I thought I’d make a thread in which others could add to in case they come across anything that is as pretentious as this listing. I remember the old £130,000 listings of collections and the like, and while not as extravagant, I’d like to include this first offering.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RESIDENT-EVIL-PS1-1996-ORIGINAL-POSTER/283360519976?hash=item41f99a6728:g:isIAAOSwvuhbmwZR

It’s essentially a Resident Evil poster slapped on someone’s aging unfashionable cupboard doors in the middle of Glasgow with added pitted edges and is up there for a top deal of £500 BIN price. Surely this is unjustified?

• Upvote 2

I saw this on eBay, and thought of this thread:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173658712171

Some dude selling a copied 3.5” disk of Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga with nothing else included for $60. I could imagine it selling if it had the source code on there, or if it was a review copy that differed from the final game in some way, but otherwise this beggars belief. 

• Upvote 2

I often wonder if these adverts are placed to just try and catch someone off guard when they’re drunk, misreading the price and then buying it!

There’s loads of Spectrum games listed for Buy It Now at hundreds of pounds and they’re clearly not worth that amount (take away a zero and you’re a lot closer).

2 hours ago, Bluejam said:

Keep an eye on an eBay seller called ‘cornishdavey’

he is currently not selling Crash magazine issue number 1 for £240

• Upvote 3

You'd think they could throw the postage in for free, but hey if you're the sort who would pay £600-odd for a Speccy then what's an extra tenner?

• Upvote 1

I also wonder how much of these listings are a bit of a tax dodge

1. Setup a company whose business is to sell retro games on eBay (costs about £15 to register with Companies house as far as I remember)
  2. Put some cash into the business
  3. Buy up some retro games, systems etc to keep as your own collection, importantly as a tax deductible expense
  4. List the ones you want to keep for ridiculous high prices that will never sell
  5. Sell off the crappy ones that you manage to acquire along the way, so it looks like you're still active as a business with sales revenue
  6. Make almost no profit so you don't pay corporate tax
  7. Claim back 20% VAT on the games and systems you've purchased as an added bonus

The same thing could be applied to YouTube gaming videos if you've got advertising as a revenue model...

You do get this though, your Mum* or whatever will say "Oh, you have all those old Spectrum games in the attic, they must be worth a few bob now!"

At which point you say "Well, they sold millions of them so probably not."

(*Not my Mum though, she just threw all mine out. Not bitter.)

• Empathy 3

On 22/03/2019 at 12:50, SozzlyJoe said:

You do get this though, your Mum* or whatever will say "Oh, you have all those old Spectrum games in the attic, they must be worth a few bob now!"

At which point you say "Well, they sold millions of them so probably not."

(*Not my Mum though, she just threw all mine out. Not bitter.)

These people are usually at boot sales. "These are collectible, it's what they go for on eBay!"

Yeah ok.

6 hours ago, Bluejam said:

F64ACCD4-A60F-446D-9AEA-3E279951356A.jpeg

So no idea if the caps are buggered, but worth £735. Or best offer.

On another note, I remember a local Guntree listing for a Spectrum 128k toast rack for £30. I got in touch about it, never got a reply and assumed it had been snapped up. A few weeks later it was delisted with a message “some kind person informed me it’s a sought after spectrum, so I’m looking for £300 for it now”

It still didn’t sell although I’m sure it ended up on eBay.

• Upvote 1

They’re worth nothing anyway, the best version of BASS is now available as a freebie with the SCUMM emulator (and it’s legit as Revolution have allowed it to be freely distributed.)

I loved it back in the day but the multihour install to hard drive on the Amiga was the worst.

• Upvote 2

Maybe it's an attempt at a kind of episodic gaming model, where you buy the first disk, see whether you enjoy the first six seconds of the intro sequence, then buy the next disk.

• Upvote 2

On 24/03/2019 at 14:38, gone fishin' said:

So no idea if the caps are buggered, but worth £735. Or best offer.

On another note, I remember a local Guntree listing for a Spectrum 128k toast rack for £30. I got in touch about it, never got a reply and assumed it had been snapped up. A few weeks later it was delisted with a message “some kind person informed me it’s a sought after spectrum, so I’m looking for £300 for it now”

It still didn’t sell although I’m sure it ended up on eBay.

I had that a year or so ago. Spectrum 128k (not a toastrack) was up for £25. Messaged him and same sort of “someone’s told me it’s worth much more”

We have a winner! Thousands of unsorted, unboxed Amiga and ST games, some with manuals, some without, for fifty grand. Plus £3.20 postage!

269D2685-C050-42BD-A1AB-368BEA17F429.png

• Upvote 2

Yikes.

I've been looking at MD listings out of curiosity, following in the wake of the Mega SG drop. Jesus, most of the listings are crazy. "It's broken, it's PAL, it comes with no games, a pad and an RF lead - £30!" seems to be the standard for 50% of the listings.

Shit, I have boxes of (probably knackered) Amiga and ST discs cluttering up my flat that, by that token, should be worth  ooo £20k easy. Sorted!

Yeah the problem you’ve got with Amiga/ST games is the dreaded “data rot” where the disks become unusable, even if they are original and kept in a decent condition.

The disks weren’t designed to last 25-30 years and are more or less guaranteed to degrade over tome to being unusable.

So yeah, fifty grand on some disks is a great investment!

8 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

Yeah the problem you’ve got with Amiga/ST games is the dreaded “data rot” where the disks become unusable, even if they are original and kept in a decent condition.

The disks weren’t designed to last 25-30 years and are more or less guaranteed to degrade over tome to being unusable.

Makes me wonder how many of my Amiga disks would still be usable now if I’d kept hold the machine and software, seeing as even by 1996 some of my earliest (1989) games disks no longer worked...