RYAN WHITELAW

Just picked up a PS Vita....

Persona 3 Portable. It's a PSP game. It's pretty cheap and you can play it before P4G. Then you can just go back and forth between those. Yeah!

3 minutes ago, danbot said:

Persona 3 Portable. It's a PSP game. It's pretty cheap and you can play it before P4G. Then you can just go back and forth between those. Yeah!

It is fantastic but £24.99 on the store is bloody expensive for a PSP game on Vita. Probably still worth it though. :) Would second most of the above and add Tearaway which is lovely. Also the Digimon games are surprisingly Persona-esque. Super Stardust, Resogun and P4G are essential.

Don't forget the wealth of great PSP stuff too.  PSP games look great on that OLED Vita screen.  Also if your firmware is 3.60, don't upgrade and read up on modding.  There's some great homebrew on the Vita, and it's s great pocket emulation machine.  

I bought a few from the recommendations given. (Ive spent more in this console in a week than i have on the XB1 in a year and thats my only console)

Im currently playing Persona 4 Golden (My first persona game) after many outlets claim its the best game on the system. An hour in im thinking "what the fuck is this shite?" :)

• Empathy 1

Steamworld Dig

Steamworld Dig 2

Steamworld Heist

All perfect for play on the Vita. Don't think these have been mentioned yet either (plenty have been said that I could second), all work brilliantly on a handheld:

Binding of Isaac

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Risk of Rain

Salt and Sanctuary

Severed

The Swindle

Stick it to the Man

Pix the Cat

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Im currently playing Persona 4 Golden (My first persona game) after many outlets claim its the best game on the system. An hour in im thinking "what the fuck is this shite?" :)

It's a grower. I wasn't sold on it at first. Once the story kicks in properly and the personas and social links are all available, it's borderline impossible to put down. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I fucking love my Vita.

PSP Ridge Racer 2

PSP Outrun C2C

PS1 SOTN

PSP Motorstorm Arctic Edge

Motorstorm RC

Puyo Puyo Tetris

WipEout 2048

Salt & Sanctuary 

TxK

BS COTM

PSP Gran Turismo

Darkest Dungeon

And many many more. Would like to give a shout to two games that I really enjoyed but which have better releases etc on other machines and that's Killzone Mercenary which looks and plays fantastic on Vita but obviously is more suited to its TV console kin. Also found myself thoroughly addicted to Sky Force Anniversary which has now been supplanted by SF Reloaded on Switch. In fact as I type this I feel the call of nature and as my Switch is in its dock and my Vita is floating freely on my couch I'm taking it into the holy of holies with me for a quick round of Everybody's Golf. 

• Upvote 1

I understand that there are two models of PS Vita, and that the original is actually the more prized one, is that right? And is that because the original has an OLED screen?

The original has OLED, which is apparently noticeably better than the LED version. But the Slim version has 1GB onboard memory, slightly better battery life, and uses a regular micro-USB port for charging, so there are advantages to it as well.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I have both versions, the newer is really nice as well. as said above the regular micro USB is so much better, sounds minor, but makes a big difference, as does the weight, but yeah the OLED screen of the original is sublime.

20 hours ago, SteveG said:

TXK is available. I've just bought it thanks to this thread.

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP4461-PCSB00494_00-LLAMASOFTTXK0001?emcid=pa-st-165932

Ah nice, its strange, there is games that show up on the actual webpage and not the vita store on the handheld. Is there problems with it or something?

Oh and thanks whoever mentioned PSP outrun 2. I forgot that existed and its one of my favourites ever, never played it on PSP though. :)

EDIT - Fuck, Outrun 2 isnt there. Im guessing because of licensing issues as the xbox version was pulled some time ago

Yeah you can't buy OutRun any more,  which is a shame as I love it. I have the ROM on my Shield tablet but its not quite perfect.

30 minutes ago, Vaguely Heroic said:

How often do "older" games go on discount on Vita? I'm thinking specifically of Velocity 2X and Super Stardust Delta. I know the PS4 has sales all the time, but how often is it on PS Vita?

https://psprices.com/region-gb/game/17838/velocityr2x

https://psprices.com/region-gb/game/20572/super-stardusttm-delta

Velocity last on sale in November, Stardust in March. There's no rhyme or reason to it, and fewer items are getting discounted, less frequently. A dozen Vita titles, monthly-ish (https://psprices.com/region-gb/discounts/?sort=date&platform=PSVita&display=table)? You'd think they may as well just drop the lot by now. 

• Upvote 2

Most of the games that do drop in price are largely due to being cross platform as well. Can lead to nice surprises when browsing your download lists (and annoyances; bought Lone Survivor on PS4 intending to play on Vita but they're separate titles) but shows up the lack of care Sony have.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, BossSaru said:

The original has OLED, which is apparently noticeably better than the LED version. But the Slim version has 1GB onboard memory, slightly better battery life, and uses a regular micro-USB port for charging, so there are advantages to it as well.

I was about to ask if there is an obvious way to tell if my model is the original or the newer one, but I guess the size of the charging port is an instant giveaway. Mine is wide enough to comfortably dock a Millennium Falcon so I must have an original Vita! 

Both Demon Gaze games. 

I'd probably say start with 2, as it's easier and apart from a couple of NPC's is totally unrelated to the first. Once you complete that, finish the first game and then go back to 2 and do the post game story, which is set in the post game world of the first one.

Obviously ignore them though if dungeon crawlers and fan service aren't your thing.

• Upvote 1

On 06/02/2019 at 21:58, Vaguely Heroic said:

I was about to ask if there is an obvious way to tell if my model is the original or the newer one, but I guess the size of the charging port is an instant giveaway. Mine is wide enough to comfortably dock a Millennium Falcon so I must have an original Vita! 

None OLED has round select and start buttons as opposed to oval ones on the OLED.

@Superfamifreak great suggestion!