RYAN WHITELAW

Just picked up a PS Vita....

Hi folks, I managed to pick up an OLED PS vita on Saturday for £50 with a game. Its in good condition and i was looking into getting a handheld for my commute and holiday (If you all are wondering, I had a switch, returned it a week later as it was ergonomically a mess for me and i await a revision )

I quite fancied a few different experiences i couldnt get elsewhere and it seemed a good place to start and the catalogue interested me more than the 3DS.

Just wondering what games you guys recommend? I was hoping to pick up a few cheap bargains but games are very pricey tbh. And the memory cards, fucking hell they are expensive. I have filled a 8gb one with 3 games. Also, if any of you are selling anything then let me know 

So far i have picked up:

Need for Speed Most Wanted

Virtua Tennis

EDF 2

Superbeat Xonic

Killzone Merceneries

Tearaway

Persona 4 Golden

Vegas Party

Virtues Last Reward

Super Stardust

Lumines

Any advice would be great :)

• Upvote 9

Unit 13 is very good.  A third person stealth/cover shooter with varied, bite-sized missions that are perfect for a handheld.  Tons of standard levels to play through and an option to replay them with random objectives.  Daily missions, score attacks etc etc.  I love it.  Also, Motorstorm RC is a brilliant top-down racing game.  One of the best in recent years in fact.

• Upvote 1

Clearly you need to get TxK. 

DJ max technica tune is good. Unlike other ones though. 

DJmax portable 2 for psp too. 

Capcom fighter ports are very good too. 

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Dragon's Crown, if you see it for a reasonable price anywhere.

Yeah, this is top of my list, expensive though. 

1 minute ago, watusi said:

Clearly you need to get TxK. 

DJ max technica tune is good. Unlike other ones though. 

DJmax portable 2 for psp too. 

Was looking for Max Technica but its only available on import. I have never imported before and its a bit pricey. 

Trying to pick up FF X as i never played it back in the day. Again, its pricey in box.

2 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Yeah, this is top of my list, expensive though. 

Was looking for Max Technica but its only available on import. I have never imported before and its a bit pricey. 

Trying to pick up FF X as i never played it back in the day. Again, its pricey in box.

There’s a used copy of teknica on amazon. £15 with free delivery. Ships from japan though. 

1 minute ago, Mallet said:

Don't forget about the PSone classics on the store, the Vita's screen does a fabulous job of displaying tjem

Already had FF7 but the list of games is a bit disapointing. I was looking into getting a few shmups. 

Hotline Miami was a flipping great experience on my Vita, get some headphones plugged in and get murdering.

Also the PSP Ridge Racer games are amazing.

Just now, Fletch said:

Hotline Miami was a flipping great experience on my Vita, get some headphones plugged in and get murdering.

Oh yeah, that was my first purchase as been itching to play it. :)

24 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Also, Motorstorm RC is a brilliant top-down racing game.  One of the best in recent years in fact.

Yeah, I'll second that.

Also, Gravity Rush.

1 minute ago, Darwock said:

Shovel Knight.

And yes, TxK... although I think that was killed by Atari's legal shenanigans and can't be bought on Vita anymore.

Was goint to buy Shovel Kinight but its £30!

TXK isnt available :(

30 quid?! Jesus, I think I got it crossplay on PS3/PS4/Vita for something like £7!

Unfair as it may seem in relative terms there's a hell of a lot of game in there (currently three complete campaigns with different characters and a fourth and final one due this summer) and I would say it's probably worth the £30 regardless.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together are two of the finest turn based strategy RPG's ever made, heartily recommend them both. Both are PSP titles and run on Vita and owing to their sprite based art style they haven't aged a bit. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Are you interested in CFW? 

This may be out of date now but worth looking into, depending on the current firmware. (Hopefully 3.65)

CGW?

Im on firmware 3.70 and dont own a PC to hack it unfortunately.

I wish Sony had carried on supporting the Vita, a Pro version with L2,R2,L3 & R3 was all it needed to make streaming PS Now and PS4 games viable, and SD card support. That's all it needed.

Second best homebrew handheld I've ever owned (after the GPD XD)!

Besides all the SNES, Megadrive, GBA etc emaulators and roms, you will need Wipeout, Pinball FX, Everybody's Golf, Hotline, Runner2, and Shovel Knight as essentials.

It's a great machine.  Enjoy!  Switch is miles better though and not really sure what you mean by ergonomically a mess.

1 hour ago, Omizzay said:

Switch is miles better though and not really sure what you mean by ergonomically a mess.

At a guess, the bit where it's pretty hefty as a pure handheld; it's not a machine I'm ever comfortable using for more than an hour at a time in portable mode.

On topic: a lot of the great games have already been mentioned/are already in your collection, but off the top of my head:

• Luftrausers
  • Danganronpa (and, if you enjoy it, games 2 and 3, but not, for the love of god, the 'Ultra Despair Girls' spin-off)
  • Persona Dancing games (though you might want to, you know, finish Persona 4 first)
  • Ys: Memories of Celcetta (I've heard good things about Lacrimosa of Dana as well)

Obviously your enjoyment of the above will depend on your general liking of their genres (gung-ho Amiga-style 2D flight combat game; dark Visual Novel/courtroom drama; character-led rhythm-action; action-RPG, respectively), but otherwise I can recommend those unconditionally.

Rather more conditional recommendations:

I've got a lot of time for Deception IV, clunky and awful of character design though it is. If you like the idea of a game where you try to lure people who've unwittingly entered your Death Mansion into horrific Rube Goldberg sequences of murderous traps then maybe consider it.

I also got a surprising amount of enjoyment from the Final Fantasy X remasters. Though objectively not great, as pick-up-and-play portable games they're surprisingly fun - the idiotic characters and plots become a lot more bearable when you treat it as a saturday morning cartoon, played 30 minutes a time while commuting. This may not be the strongest recommendation I've ever given a game.

Finally, I'd really recommend getting a larger memory card, despite their cost. Given the escalating cost of physical games and the regular heavy discounts on PSN even with the ridiculous instant outlay they'll likely work out cheaper in the long run. Plus, you know, they're super-convenient when you want to have a decent part of the original Playstation library on your person at all times. Like having a Playstation Classic, but not shit!

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Just wondering what games you guys recommend? I was hoping to pick up a few cheap bargains but games are very pricey tbh.

Any advice would be great :)

Don't Die Mr Robot

Velocity 2x and everything everyone else has mentioned - forget big AA games as they’re all crap and go indie crazy :D

A grip, it’s not a nice console for extended use imo.

• Upvote 2

Vita is strange in that I've used it to play a lot of games that are very easily playable elsewhere, but generally still played them there because it's a super nice console to play on with that lovely screen and no lag.

Games I've spent the most time and still prefer playing on Vita are Persona, Project Diva f/f2nd, Hotline Miami, Velocity/2X, Lumines, Lucasarts adventure games, Undertale, Downwell and VVVVVV.

Spelunky alas, I much prefer on a PS4 pad.