rllmuk
Mr Tony

Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

28 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

RE CheekyLee In the Legend selection screen in the menu or when choosing characters ingame there's a button prompt to show you their abilities. I agree they could do a better job of teaching them, maybe with a little training ground for each hero and a jump tutorial.

As for jumping, its the same button as Suggest to say OK to someone else's suggestion. Just aim over where your teammate pinged and hit the button. You are locked to your team during the jump and have to press a button to "detach", which you must have done accidently. On-screen prompts show you what that button is. It's fine to detach a bit early if you keep an eye on the mini map to see where your team is landing. What I usually do is detach at the last few seconds to aim for a building a little aways from my team so the loot is more spread out between us. If you don't detach you will literally stick to your jumpmaster until you actually land.

Character abilities yes you can read about via the menus, but yeah the best way to learn is just to try out each legend. You'll soon pick it up as the other players on your team will be using them as well. Lifeline is a nice easy character to start with, she is your basic medic with an ultimate that calls in a supply air drop.

Quick sum up of the character abilities:

• Bloodhound (Borderlands guy with mask) - ability to scan his near surroundings and see you through walls for a second, ultimate is tracking other players 
  • Gibraltar (Maori tank) - Holds up a shield when he aims down sight, can call in a bubble dome shield and an artillery strike
  • Lifeline (Bandana Medbot girl) - Can drop healing bot which heals over time. Revives players faster and with a protective shield whilst doing so. Calls in supply package with nice support items.
  • Pathfinder (robot) - Has a grappling hook. Ultimate is a zip line you can place anywhere that anyone can use. Can also use radar beacons on the map to see where the next circle will be.
  • Wraith (Emo girl) - Can become temporarily invulnerable (but can't shoot) in order to flank/escape. Can put down a two way portal that anyone (including enemies) can use to get from A to B quickly.
  • Bangalore (Soldier girl) - Has smoke grenades. Can call in a rolling artillery barrage (which wrecks if you get caught by it)
  • Caustic  (Bane, unlockable hero) - Drops green gas mines or spreads gas in an area. When in gas other players are fecked plus Caustic can see them through the gas.
  • Mirage (Cheeky chappy) - Can send out a hologram of himself who runs in a straight line as a distraction, if you shoot it he'll see your position. Ultimate he goes invisible whilst sending out a horde of holograms to confuse.

Honestly the abilities aren't vital to know at first, hell, I still forget to use mine half the time. I guess the biggest ones to be aware of are:

- airstrikes (watch out for ghost rockets on-screen indicating incoming airstrike)

- bloodhound ability to see through walls (I.e. don't camp in one room and expect never to be found)

- be wary if you see a portal as it means Wraith and her team are about

- don't go into green gas

Edit: also don't just quit out if you die, there's every chance your buddies will come to revive you if you aren't on the other side of the map. They have about 80 seconds to get to your death box, grab your tag and then they can revive you at a respawn beacon. You can also ping when you're dead to remind them to pick you up, or show them where the nearest beacon is. Anyway stick with it for a bit, I'm no fan of Battle Royales but this one has won me over.

On that last point, don't quit out unless your squad dies as they could still win without you.

• Upvote 1

In other news I unlocked Mirage using the free grind currency, I was level 23 or 24 so expect it to take that long unless you pay (or get free bucks on PC). He's a lot of fun, the decoy is great for buying you an extra second or making enemies give away their hidey holes. His ultimate is amazing for escaping certain death and you can even use the peroid of invisibility to get behind your enemies and shoot them in the back, problem is I keep forgetting to use it!

Had a mad late night session with two Overwatch friends of mine. None of us were using voice comms but its testament to the amazing ping system that we got about 7/10 match wins without uttering a word. We just used pings to direct us, ask for ammo and attachments, stuck together and used our abilities and weapons to compliment each other. We were agressive and if we saw an enemy squad at least one of us would push up and flank whilst the others took the long range fight. We generally stuck to the map edges at first and worked our way inwards. Simply pinging any blue/purple items or ammo your mates need is a massive help to get you all tooled up quickly. My teammates played Bangalore (smoke is amazing) and Bloodhound whilst I went Pathfinder or Mirage. 

I also learned the value of "dibs". If someone pings an item it puts an icon on your screen, if you want it, aim at the item on your hud (which appears through walls) and press the ping button. This calls dibs on the item and its hud icon remains on-screen until you pick it up complete with direction and distance marker. It's a great way to track down where that pesky sniper sight or blue armour you wanted was.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Really agree on Lifeline. In general I’ve found support classes a good choice when I’m starting in an online game because it forces you to hold back and pay attention to how the game is playing out. Rarely is the issue that you’re playing too defensively as a beginner.

Pathfinder is a great second choice for beginners. The grappling hook is simple, aim and shoot, and it quickly becomes second nature to use it to get around. Aim for just below a roof edge and hold jump whilst you grapple to ensure you'll wallclimb over the top.

Had a funny game last night where I'd redeployed with the balloon on top of a massive wall. I saw a Pathfinder below, who was shooting up at me whilst I sniped at him. He hugged the wall and I knew exactly what was coming next. I backed off the wall edge, pulled out my SMG and waited. A second later just as I predicted up he pops on his grappling hook, straight into my sights and I riddled him with bullets. That's the sort of play you can only really make once you get to know the Legends a bit better.

• Upvote 3

add me, on every chance i get. 

Also we could do with an Apex message group if there isn't one already, much easier to see whos online and let peeps know when your on.

Me, @Theholyhogg and Rorchard played for near 5 hours last night till 3am. On mic as well and we only managed one win so are clearly behind some of the more seasoned peeps in this thread. We did get a number of seconds however so not all bad. 

• Upvote 1

Also we have a setup of Pathfinder (love him), Wraith for crazy escapes and medic/bloodhound. I find the medic overrated as healing is generally not an issue with all the loot around.

Finally managed to arrange a few hours to play this with some old friends last night, to get me past my traditional "oh god random internet people oh god" problem. Always a bit tricky, as they're in Oklahoma and I'm in, er, Nottingham, but we blocked out some time and were ready to play... just as the servers failed, and stayed dead all night/early morning (on PC, at least; judging by the tweets at the time the consoles came back online a couple of hours in).

We played Overwatch instead, which was fine, but a bit disappointing when I'd psyched myself up to play Apex Legends. Maybe next week...

• Empathy 2

I had a game this morning with randoms and managed to win as kill leader. 

For the final kill I had picked up a gold Kraber sniper rifle from a care package. I’ve never used the gun before, and I saw the last guy running left to right in the distance. I made a complete guess at how much I needed to account for leading my target and bullet drop and lucked out with a headshot. 

• Upvote 8

12 minutes ago, Soi said:

I had a game this morning with randoms and managed to win as kill leader. 

For the final kill I had picked up a gold Kraber sniper rifle from a care package. I’ve never used the gun before, and I saw the last guy running left to right in the distance. I made a complete guess at how much I needed to account for leading my target and bullet drop and lucked out with a headshot. 

How did that rank in your most satisfying ever gaming moments?

This game is amazing. I'm yet to play with anyone except randoms but it's still been so good.

• Upvote 1

Any list of PS4 players I can add. I’d like to have a go this afternoon but as a total Battle Royale noob would like to start out with a friendly team

It’s be great if this goes crossplay and let’s us lot all play together across Xbox and PS4 with some kind of platform agnostic party system. 

• Upvote 1

I've created the world's most basic shared spreadsheet for PS4 users.

Edit - turns out someone has already done it! Link in post below.

• Upvote 1

A little history to start for context: Battle Royale games have always been games I see the appeal of and have been happy to watch others play but avoided them myself as I had the feeling I'd be crap. I tried Blackout while it was in beta and surprised myself when started to enjoy myself a bit for solo and squads. That wasn't enough for me to buy the game though. I never tried Fortnite as a I knew I'd probably get muddled up juggling gun play and building.

Apex Legends though, this could make me a regular player. I wasn't ever really worried how the gun play and movement would feel as this is Respawn and they nailed it with Titanfall. Yes, they dropped the wall running and titans but I'll admit when I started to think about it I wasn't sure how they'd fit in a BR game anyway. They've added so many quality of life features though that help me enjoy playing that little bit more. The ping system is really comprehensive and well thought out and makes communicating locations and requests easier with randoms. I'd even say it helps a bit with people you know too. The colour coding of loot and especially of the ammo so I'm not having to read text and remember what my gun uses. 

I've not had the best of luck with loot though and not even got a knockdown like I did in Blackout. It does put me off a little but it's early days yet and I'm still getting used to the game. If anyone wants a squad member on PS4 you can add me: Dalvado.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to @RickyDVT and Sim (sorry, don’t know your forum name) for putting up with my shambolic attempts at trying to shoot something, ANYTHING

Lots of fun, definitely want to play more. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spork said:

There is also this one someone made for all formats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sC6JFm3vIi3aRJrm3fSXas11gQYgY9gALUaJs4VsWwQ/edit#gid=0

Any PC people can add spork1096 if you are after more people to play with :)

I've added my name to that list....     and then sent FR's to a whole  bunch of PC'ers from that list who i didn't already have in my Origin list

Just won my first game. It felt pretty awesome too.

The only reason we won is because I was someone who could be bothered to run towards a respawn station to get my team mate up. He ended up killing some dude and I looted a cool gun from it which left me on the roof tops finishing the last 2 guys off for victory.

really impressed with it.

What do you get in these packs? Just skins and crap?

One thing that had me pleasantly surprised with the PC version is it has text chat and they've implemented the text to speech stuff the need to in  order to comply with that US regulation.

For shame Bioware.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, VN1X said:

You don't need that to unlock them. 

Ok, I'll put it another way: is there enough moonbucks in the founders pack if you're a bone idle cunt with no patience?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Ok, I'll put it another way: is there enough moonbucks in the founders pack if you're a bone idle cunt with no patience?

Edit: sorry, I'm thinking of the starter pack not the founders pack.

48 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Just won my first game. It felt pretty awesome too.

The only reason we won is because I was someone who could be bothered to run towards a respawn station to get my team mate up. He ended up killing some dude and I looted a cool gun from it which left me on the roof tops finishing the last 2 guys off for victory.

really impressed with it.

What do you get in these packs? Just skins and crap?

Yep just cosmetics; skins, banners, voice lines, finisher animations. The legendary skins and banner animations are the only stuff that are actually cool though. You have to pay in game currency for Mirage and Caustic but you can just grind it if you don't want to buy the premium currency (they work out at 3 quid each or something if you buy direct.

I won a game in what was probably my eighth game, and unlike fortnite which I have won four times, this didn't feel like a fluke at all. I much prefer the weapons on this, they have weight and feel really meaty and it rewards flanking which is really difficult I find on fortnite as there are so many open spaces. Excellent so far. 

2 hours ago, spanx said:

Thanks to @RickyDVT and Sim (sorry, don’t know your forum name) for putting up with my shambolic attempts at trying to shoot something, ANYTHING

Lots of fun, definitely want to play more. 

Yeh cheers for the games. Sorry I had to shoot. 

Sim is @Minion on here!