rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Colour out of Space - Nic Cage does Lovecraft

Perhaps it'll be rubbish, but I want to post it because Nic Cage doing Lovecraft. It's being directed by Richard Stanley, who hasn't directed a feature film since being fired from the notorious The Island Of Dr Moreau 23 years ago.

Color Out Of Space tells the story of the Gardners, a family which moves to a remote farmstead in rural New England to escape the hustle of the 21st century. They are busy adapting to their new life when a meteorite crashes into their front yard. The mysterious aerolite seems to melt into the earth, infecting both the land and the properties of space-time with a strange, otherworldly color. To their horror, the Gardner family discover that this alien force is gradually mutating every life form that it touches…including them.

That is perhaps my favourite Lovecraft story, now it's going to murdered I feel conflicted.

I'm so utterly made up about this. I know Richard Stanley personally and he really does get Lovecraft like few others. He also gets film and he also gets Cage. This has potential. 

It will require executives to get the fuck out of the way and it will require the money men to hold their nerve, but Stanley doesn't exist in a world of half measures.

• Upvote 4

I love the story, but not sure how filmic it is? As with most Lovecraft, really. Which is why everyone wants to make At the Mountains of Madness, as it's basically The Thing but with ancient, giant monsters. 

Still, hopefully this bloke gets it and makes something eerie and nihilistic :)

Not a fan of Stanley’s films, but always thought he had potential to make at least one brilliant movie. Hopefully this will be it!

I can’t help but think, as great as this sounds, that they should have made The Whisperer in Darkness instead.

Cage’s fucked up face would be perfect for the waxy countenance of an alien Henry Wentworth Akeley impersonator.

2 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Has there ever been a good Lovecraft film?  (Other than the Thing.)

I enjoyed John Carpenter’s ‘In The Mouth Of Madness’ which is a Lovecraft film in all but title, but get the sense a lot of people weren’t into it. 

• Upvote 5

The first half of Alien is basically a Lovecraft story in space. I think I read something recently (here?) about how weird it is that there are so few direct Lovecraft adaptations but so many Lovecraft riffs.

12 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The first half of Alien is basically a Lovecraft story in space.

In what specific way?

A group of people stumble upon an ancient ruin belonging to a strange race of giants that were undone by something more primitive but far more evil than themselves; the explorers meet the same fate.

It’s just a residual plot similarity really, I feel like the earlier drafts with the pyramids and stuff were more Lovecraft-ish.

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

A group of people stumble upon an ancient ruin belonging to a strange race of giants that were undone by something more primitive but far more evil than themselves; the explorers meet the same fate.

It’s just a residual plot similarity really, I feel like the earlier drafts with the pyramids and stuff were more Lovecraft-ish.

It’s a nice analogy, but none of that is specific only to Lovecraft. You might as well say it’s a Lovecraft film in space because it’s got a cat in it.

I guess I’m picking up on it because I find this kind of analysis extremely reductive, as it goes. If people make a Lovecraft movie, they make a Lovecraft movie. But those kind of loose ideas are so universal that you could link it to pretty much anything. Hey, Alien implies a demigod race were destroyed by a great cataclysm - it’s the story of Atlantis in space!

I mean if the writers themselves talk about being influenced by Lovecraft then that’s a totally different matter, of course - I don’t know anything about the story of Alien, it may well be that they do.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

I can’t help but think, as great as this sounds, that they should have made The Whisperer in Darkness instead.

Cage’s fucked up face would be perfect for the waxy countenance of an alien Henry Wentworth Akeley impersonator.

Nic Cage as Robert Olmsted in ‘The Shadow over Innsmouth’ please. Channeling his character from Mandy when Robert learns of his  fishy ancestry.

• Upvote 1

I think Dan O'Bannon explicitly acknowledged the influence in this case. (In the early drafts; like I say, it was gradually written out as the movie became the one we recognise.) It's basically the exact story structure of At the Mountains of Madness, and it's not surprising given that Lovecraft was rediscovered in nerd culture around the time Alien was being written. Like you say, they're quite well-bedded-in cliches and tropes now, but like every movie knocking off the Frankenstein's Monster template or using a tenth-generation descendant of Bram Stoker's very specific version of vampires, they're still genericised versions of specific weirdos' specific influential stories.

That's getting back to what I was wondering about, which is that Lovecraft casts this long shadow over horror fiction, but aside from a few good cult movies his own material seems to get ignored.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Has there ever been a good Lovecraft film?  (Other than the Thing.)

There's one called Dagon, Spanish I think, can't remember if they speak English in it as I saw it ages ago but I remember enjoying it and I've never see it get mentioned anywhere.

Stuart Gordon did Daughter of Darkness as well as Dagon and Re Animator. Unspoken of joys the lot of them.

On 02/02/2019 at 13:33, Alex W. said:

The first AvP makes this explicit and sets itself within the south pole with pyramids and stuff.

But yeah, we're not really adding to the "Lovecraft has good film adaptations" with this example.

• Upvote 1

Disappointed this isn't going to be a period piece - I was faintly optimistic about the idea of it until I realised it was set in the present day.

• Upvote 1

Lovecraftian style for me has to tick certain boxes:

1. Arcane knowledge being used to try and benefit the protagonist, or at least for scientific enquiry.

2. The stirring of "great old one" powers, resulting in terrible things happening or madness or both.

3. The story often being related by a third party, investigating the protagonist, who then inadvertently follows the same path.

4. Horrors beyond the comprehension of human understanding.

• Upvote 1

On 02/02/2019 at 12:20, ZOK said:

What the fuck?!

RE-ANIMATOR!!!!

FROM BEYOND!!!!!!!

THE THING ISN’T A LOVECRAFT FILM!!!!!!!! 

I must now have a lie down.

Re-animator is a good shout. 

I know now the Thing isn’t a Lovecraft film but it is pretty At the Mountains of Madness. 

I haven't seen From Beyond. 

Prometheus is not far off a Lovecraft film, particularly given that they cancelled Guillermo Del Toro's version of At the Mountains of Madness because the premise was too similar.

I quite like the The Lovecraft Historical Society flicks. I'd love to see that style of thing be given a real budget.

31 minutes ago, Danster said:

Lovecraftian style for me has to tick certain boxes:

1. Arcane knowledge being used to try and benefit the protagonist, or at least for scientific enquiry.

2. The stirring of "great old one" powers, resulting in terrible things happening or madness or both.

3. The story often being related by a third party, investigating the protagonist, who then inadvertently follows the same path.

4. Horrors beyond the comprehension of human understanding.

5. Protagonist faints at the worst possible moment. 

• Upvote 2