Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Cross platform/progress thread

I thought it might be handy if we had a thread for news about games adding cross platform support. It's now becoming more of a thing and even Sony is (Very slowly) getting in on the act. Recently Rocket League added in PS4 support and now Paladins is going cross platform on PC. XBox and Switch with cross progress on  PC and XBox.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Paladins/comments/ajg20t/paladins_202_patch_notes_and_megathread/

Cross Play

We are excited to be among the first games of the modern cross-play era! Champions on numerous platforms across the globe will now be able to group up and play like never before.

Players from PC, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch will be part of the same matchmaking pool in Quickplay

Players may opt-out of cross-play, however, you will find higher quality matches more quickly with cross-play matchmaking enabled

Ranked will match-make players based upon their input method

You can set your input method and preferences in Settings

Players will now have a fully functionally cross-platform friends list

We are technically ready to support cross-play on other platforms as the opportunity arises

FAQ: https://www.hirezstudios.com/crossplay/

Note: Due to work done across all platforms for cross-play and cross-progression, all players’ keybinds will be set to default with the release of 2.02.

Cross Progression

PC and Xbox One players will be able to progress their linked account and keep their owned items across both platforms

We are technically ready to support cross-progression on other platforms as the opportunity arises

Console

Added keyboard/mouse support for Xbox

Console players can now view text chat in matches with keyboard/mouse users

Post more when you see them. I have an inkling this is going to get designed into most next-gen online games when the new consoles arrives. Also Paladins is pretty good. You should try it.

• Upvote 2

Cross play and progression are now coming to Paladins on all formats apart from PS4 tomorrow. Hi-Rez have been calling out Sony lately.

Shawn Layden tried to make it out as somehow being their fault in his interview with Game Informer.

People keep saying, “Why doesn’t Sony allow more people to have it?” We’re open for business on this one. All it takes is for publishers and developers who wish to permission it. As ever, just work with your PlayStation account manager, and they will walk you through the steps that we’ve learned through our partnership with Epic on how this works. I don’t believe right now there is any gating factor on that. I think they’re open to make proposals, because the Fortnite thing worked pretty well.

https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/02/11/shawn-layden-on-playstation-and-the-future

It’s not going well for him over on ResetEra.

Hi all, 

CEO Of Chucklefish here, we just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch and Xbox so I wanted to chime in.

We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen.

From our side, we can *literally* toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn't a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/shawn-layden-blames-publishers-and-developers-for-lack-of-playstation-crossplay-update-chucklefish-ceo-responds-in-thread-we-were-told-no.99096/page-6#post-17824429

• Upvote 1

A crying shame, for sure. Wargroove is a game that deserves to be enjoyed by as many people as possible. And in an ideal world would be on the Vita as well with crossplay/save.

10 hours ago, Darwock said:

According to the thread on here Wargroove was not even released for PS4?!

Was I misled? I have been ignoring it as I thought I couldn't play it.

It will be released soon, but hasn't yet been. Just PC/Xbox/Switch so far. 

And just to add to that:

Work is going into the PS4 version now, it won't have PS4 to PC crossplay as that would have forced us to attempt some sort of inelegant system to try and ensure Xbox/Switch players wouldn't see each other despite both being able to play with PC players.

PC lobbies becoming unavailable to Xbox/Switch players if a PS4 player joins maybe? There are no nice solutions.

As far as just flicking a switch goes, just to clarify, this is entirely from a technical perspective. I'm sure that if crossplay opens up it will come with lots of policies to adhere to (and these are a good thing) that could require work on our part. Aside from policy, there are no security or technical concerns I'm aware of hindering us. Because Wargroove runs on our own servers, any security needs to be in place regardless.

It's actually more work for us to restrict crossplay, to isolate platforms, than to just let it function.

From the Chucklefish CEO, again off ResetEra. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-12-rocket-leagues-long-awaited-cross-platform-party-system-arrives-this-month

Rocket League's long-awaited cross-platform party feature will finally be heading to Xbox One, PS4, Switch, and PC on February 19th, as part of the incoming Friends Update, developer Psyonix has announced.

When it arrives, Rocket League players will gain access to the new Friends List. Friends can be added to this from any platform (via the new RocketID system), and can then be invited to join Parties and Clubs. This means that, for the first time, it'll be possible to buddy up and play matches with specific friends, no matter which platform they're on.

• Upvote 2