rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
carlospie

Have you ever lost your save file?

My launch day Switch stopped booting the day Mario + Rabbids was released. The Nintendo repair centre took two attempts to repair it. When it came back the second time it booted but my data was gone. Still haven’t gone back to Zelda, Splatoon 2, Arms, Disgaea 5 etc.

Back in the day my eldest sister deleted my everything unlocked GoldenEye save for some fucking unknown reason. I very nearly burst into flames. There were four slots for crying out loud. What was she thinking?

2 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

I feel your pain - I think I had over 24 hours of FFVI and did the same thing to my converter cartridge. I cried in frustration. I was probably 14 or 15 at the time. 

I promptly bought a new converter carrier that had the sat back to back rather than one on top and one at the back. 

That's the sort I had and it didn't help me. Still, it was worth the odd mishap to experience those game when they were new and cutting edge.

• Upvote 1

I lost a 50hr Persona 4 save, it was the PS2 version playing on a launch 60gb PS3 that died. 

Was extremely annoying. Couldn't bring myself to restart it for a long time. Eventually picked up Golden on Vita and completed that version. (Loved it) 

I lost all my Dark Souls 3 builds because I can't remember the email address I used to create my Japanese PSN account. Maybe 500 hours worth of play. :facepalm:

I was so deflated I've only managed 2 builds on the EU version (which I bought once I realised I could no longer log-in).

The only significant one for me was losing my progress in Cookie Clicker. I'd been 'playing' it for about a year (mainly leaving it running in the background), then my browser had a hiccup and I lost the save. I wasn't keeping a backup, either.

I can't say I was too distraught. I started it again and got to the same position in a couple of months so I wasn't even doing it efficiently the first time around. I back it up now, too.

Lost my Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon save due to using an unreliable third-party memory card (or "Controller Pak" as the official ones were called in Nintendo's insistent terminology). I'm pretty sure it was the only game I played on the Nintendo 64 that required a memory card (no on-cart saves) other than Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.

22 hours ago, NEG said:

PSO on Dreamcast. Hackers doing stuff in the lobbies deliberately to make people lose their saves meant 400 hours went pop in an instant. Definitely the most painful save loss.

What you lost in progress, you gained in having a nice new character - NOL - at lvl 1 :lol:

Nintendo didn’t bother transferring any of my save files when I returned my Switch for repair due to the cracked backplate issue that occurred with some of the early units. Worked fine, only returned it on NOE's advice and the end result was nearly 100 hours of Zelda (and tens of hours of other games) down the drain.

6 hours ago, JLM said:

I was later informed that, on the following day, he had gone to TOWN on my older cousin's saves. Every N64 save deleted or over-written, every Dreamcast VMU save gone, 200 hours of Pokémon Ruby overwritten with a new save. Everything he could find he purged. It was actually quite frightening how thorough he had been in his quest for vengeance. Aaron has mellowed out massively over the years and is now one of my best friends, but The Great Bay Temple remains his darkest gaming memory. 

Close the thread, we have a winner!

• Upvote 1

My Xbox 360's hard disk drive died in November 2017. With the HDD in, the console refused to boot at all, just made a clicking noise on the 360 logo screen. I bought a new 500GB official drive to replace it.

I was able to recover most of my saves from the Cloud backups. However I lost some, either because they were games that don't let you copy files to the cloud, or because it had been a long time since I'd been bothered to go through my HDD file-by-file to confirm that everything had been backed up. To some extent I'd been misled by the message "syncing cloud saves" that gets displayed when you select the HDD as your storage device on loading a game, because it made me think that saves were being automatically backed up. (IIRC if you copy an options setting or game progress save file to the cloud, that particular file does continue to get automatically synced between HDD and cloud. But if you start a New Game, and that creates a new separate file on the HDD, that particular file has to be manually backed up to the cloud before it will sync like all the other files associated with that game.)

In the process, I discovered that certain XBLA games (such as Trials HD and Evolution, I think?) base their saves entirely on online storage, and don't actually keep any local save file. So for those there was no issue. Also, thanks to online leaderboards, even in cases where in-game progress was lost, I could still see my personal best records.

These are the main ones I lost:

Dark Souls

One of those games that doesn't let you copy your save file elsewhere.

Oh boy! I started this in late 2013 and early 2014, posting my progress in the Dark Souls thread. I got up to the Depths and got cursed. Over the next few years I only picked it up only very occasionally: lifting the curse and making some minor progress, but only up to the Depths boss.

Then in November 2017, I loaded up that old save as I decided it was about time that I beat that bloody Gaping Dragon, which I did. (Save file: Level 33, 27 hours play time.) Then only a few days later, before I'd ventured more than a few steps into Blighttown... that was when the HDD died.

It just seemed an appropriately Dark Souls piece of trolling that my failure to progress beyond that boss had been hanging over my head for so long, and then just as I make the tinest bit of progress, that's the moment HDD decided to die. "The real Dark Souls begins here," am I right? :eyebrows:

A week ago I started a new file from scratch, and it took me 19 hours (and exactly 100 deaths; yes I counted as I went) to reach the same point I was before, beating the Gaping Dragon and standing at the entrance to Blighttown. (But at level 43, ten levels higher level than last time!)

Spoiler

Several hours later, I've descended the Framerate-Killing Ladder of Doom, and I've reached and explored the swamp at the bottom several times (at least I think it's the bottom; I wouldn't put it past the game to go even deeper). But I keep dying silly deaths soon after ascending the wooden lift back up to the wall tunnel.

Bayonetta

Back in 2011 I completed this on Normal and played through the first few levels on Hard, as well as doing a fair amount of replaying certain levels for score attacking. (This save had clocked up 24 hours, and was backed up.)

Summer 2017 - I started a brand new save file, because I'd forgotten how to play it so wanted to re-unlock the moves, weapons and items at the game's pace, to practice using them one by one, instead of being overwlelmed with them all available at once. I completed this new save file on Normal, then progressed through Hard just past Route 666. (Clocking up 30 hours) That was when the HDD loss happened.

I recovered the 2011 save from the cloud, and started a New Game... only to find that although my old completed game progress had been backed up, my options settings file containing the "game has been completed" flag had not, so I had lost access to Hard difficulty and the unlockable bonus extras. What I had to do to regain access to those was load the 2011 save, load the last level on Normal and beat the last boss.

Then I started a brand new game on Normal and played all through it again, and this time followed it up by, at long last, completing it on Hard as well. Last I checked, I'd spent 24 hours on this save.

So that's 78 hours I've spent playing Bayonetta in total, across those three saves. And of that 78, "only" 30 hours were lost.

Halo 3 and Halo Reach - My player stats are all stored online, so those were safe. My Reach save file was backed up, but my Halo 3 one wasn't; no big loss, it just means that I can't go back to it and select any starting mission. But I lost hundreds and hundreds of screenshots, multiplayer video replays and edited clips (except for those very few that I'd put on my File Share). In some ways losing these was a weight off my mind, because over the years I'd saved so many multiplayer replays that seemed like important victories or spectacular feats at the time, but I knew that I was unlikely to ever go back and rewatch any of them.

• Upvote 1