IGNORED

Ghostbusters -Afterlife

papalazarou

1 hour ago, Vespa Alex said:

On the subject of Credits sequences without spoilers….

The mid credits one feels a little more “disposable fun”, and the second more meaningful.

Both worth staying for. 

Feels like they got them the wrong way round.

3 minutes ago, drmick said:

I don't think it is too difficult to come up with an in-universe reason for the baby marshmallow men popping up at particular moment.

Think @scottcrnailed it really. Gozer associates Stay Puff with something man fears. Also it was fun, who cares. My kids loved them.

2 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Think @scottcrnailed it really. Gozer associates Stay Puff with something man fears. Also it was fun, who cares. My kids loved them.

Yeah, I agree with that sentiment, and can come up with an even better reason. It seems a bit Victor Meldrew to be critical of the scene's inclusion I feel.

20 minutes ago, strider said:

Just watched it. I thought it had some good ideas but was largely fucking awful.

Mckenna Grace was excellent and I enjoyed Logan Kim, but that was about it.

That's a bit too strong, no? Expected better from a writer!

15 minutes ago, drmick said:

That's a bit too strong, no? Expected better from a writer!

Why? It’s a post on a forum.

I’m not going to waste time crafting an expressive and thought provoking post to justify why I thought a new movie was dire. Life’s too short 😀

I watched this again Monday and took the kids. They both really enjoyed it and I loved it as much second time around.

Couple of mild spoilery thoughts on second viewing

Spoiler

Could have done with a few more different ghosts at the end in the town - only two?! Eyeball ghost and dead miner.

Second time around, I still got a bit of dust in my eye at the end. Really really good finish and that pan up to For Harold, then the logo and the theme song and Ecto 1 driving other the bridge is just brilliant.

Also - I realised the two lovely end credit scenes ensured that all 3 living Ghostbusters all got their own mini scene. Ray in the film and then Peter with Dana and Winston with Janine.

One question - wasn't there a strong rumour than Rick Moranis was going to cameo?

18 hours ago, strider said:

Why? It’s a post on a forum.

I’m not going to waste time crafting an expressive and thought provoking post to justify why I thought a new movie was dire. Life’s too short 😀

It wasn't the brevity of the post, but the use of language which could be considered offensive, for two reasons:

1. What language would you use to describe films which are universally accepted as poor?

2. The use of such language in a thread where the majority of opinions have been positive.

Just came back and I loved it, besides from two clunky moments overall it was a blast.

However, I'm gutted

Spoiler

Janine and Egon never got together, its thanks to the Real Ghostbusters and the first film that I never wished so hard for an on screen romance

Plus sad no Tully, though I understand Rick has retired.

3 hours ago, Festoon said:

People keep saying Moranis has retired. I think he's in the Honey I Shrunk The Kids series being made for D+.

I like to think he turned this down.

Yeah, he's been on record saying he turned down the last ghostbusters because he felt it was pointless. I'd Imagine he still feels the same way.

Thanks for the clarification guys..

The only issues I had in the movie were...

Spoiler

Finn Wolfhard wasn't really important, he was just a glorified driver for the most part. The other was his love interest which could have been cut out completely, I'm sure there were scenes cut but she didn't really do anything and her firing the proton pack seemed out of place because we need 4 members. Though I wish her mom strapped on the proton pack and shot in saving the kids, making it more poetic due to her distaste for science and her dad.

Also regarding Egon, the whole crazy thing didn't sit right with me. I'm sure he could have asked Ray to come down and take a look at the pit, and the excavations. That bit did irk me  as it felt unsatisfactory.

Plus I mentioned it before, the fact that Egon and Janine never became a couple makes me sad.

20 hours ago, yakumo said:

Also did anyone else get teary eyed during the end, I admit I did cry at that bit.

I was unable to cry, as my tear ducts had been blocked by the on-screen nostalgia bukaki party.

Nephews loved it, but they liked the 2016 movie too...

3 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

I was unable to cry, as my tear ducts had been blocked by the on-screen nostalgia bukaki party.

Nephews loved it, but they liked the 2016 movie too...

Nostalgia is hell of a drug. But nice nod to RLM.

Left bollock on the line and all that, but I reckon in a few years time this will be completely forgotten about. It’s The Thing (2011) of Ghostbusters films. Charismatic performances aside, there’s just nothing there besides a rather ghoulish obituary.

Regarding internal logic, and the importance thereof - it plays a massive part in the ability for an audience to suspend their disbelief, and it’s one of the reasons the original movie works well.

A movie can work emotionally, but if it’s inconsistent on its own terms, well, the plot can be boiled down to “it’s magic” and “a wizard did it”, and that’s not satisfying for the audience - to paraphrase Mr Plinkett, you may have not noticed, but your brain did. 

I wouldn’t outright call Afterlife a lazily written movie - it exploits our nostalgia far too cunningly for that to be a fair criticism - and it is (very) fun, but it’s definitely too long and not as smart as it should have been. 

14 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Left bollock on the line and all that, but I reckon in a few years time this will be completely forgotten about. It’s The Thing (2011) of Ghostbusters films. Charismatic performances aside, there’s just nothing there besides a rather ghoulish obituary.

had completely forgotten about that Thing movie. It was ok. But almost entirely redundant. In fact I'm struggling to remember anything about it. 

I think G:A is a film of two halves. The first half is fantastic and the second is frequently just lazy nostalgia bait. 

It is, though, a well-made film. It's witty, for one. I genuinely laughed a lot (which is impressive as I was sitting alone in the theatre!) and it has an interesting-looking cast you care about. Well, bar Finn Wolfhard who felt written-in to grab the Stranger Things audience. 

It's also extremely different in character and tone to the original film. For a while, at least. Oklahoma farmland is well used as a backdrop, there are loads of lovely wide shots and - unlike most films these days - it's not done 50% in close-up. 

Such a shame the production team couldn't trust the audience to enjoy the odd subtle reference, rather than stuff every single reference and callback imaginable into it. It broke up the pace badly, as much as anything, and I'm absolutely, 100% convinced it was written:

Spoiler

... so that the defeat of Gozer would play out almost identically without the original living cast returning. Just beaten by Podcast, Phoebe, Finn and Lucky (with Egon assisting), if Murray et al couldn't have been arsed. 

...which is sloppy and shows how nostalgia-pandering is killing modern films. And so is making everything conform to a schedule-friendly two hours. This would have been enormously improved at 90 or 100 minutes. 

But I'm starting to sound like I disliked it and I didn't. I enjoyed it, pacing and callbacks aside :)

Ryan Arey is normally very gentle, but he's totally savage about this one:

Screenshot_20211130-195138_1638301913500.thumb.jpg.f50803233bac6ed4345813aa14cfcd8c.jpg