Sign in to follow this  
Gizamaluke

Is the Razer Turret pay to win?

The naming conventions in the specs are brilliant.

Razer Turret Keyboard (Xbox One Edition) Tech specs

• Gaming mode option (PC only)

Presumably you’d only be able to use it in dedicated KB&M playlists as surely MS wouldn’t be so dumb as to let you use it in ‘normal’ playlists.

3 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

The site only shows certain games, where does it say all FPSes?

https://www.razer.com/gb-en/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-turret-for-xbox-one/supported-games

These are the games officially supported with the chroma dynamic lighting.  It works with all games from Blackout to Fortnite to PUBG. And there's no dedicated servers.

7 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

These are the games officially supported with the chroma dynamic lighting.  It works with all games from Blackout to Fortnite to PUBG. And there's no dedicated servers.

What a load of balls, damn *whoever is responsible*

Hang on, won’t games need patches or whatever though? If the expected input device is a pad and someone is using a mouse the rate of movement etc will be fucked won’t it?

13 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

https://www.razer.com/gb-en/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-turret-for-xbox-one

A mouse and keyboard for Xbox One. Fully Microsoft partnered and compatible with all online fps games. 

£250!!

I'm not sure how happy I'd be going up against the sad rich nerd rocking this on Xbox.

Does the Xbox One support USB keyboards and mice for the same purpose?

On 11/01/2019 at 23:17, Gizamaluke said:

https://www.razer.com/gb-en/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-turret-for-xbox-one

A mouse and keyboard for Xbox One. Fully Microsoft partnered and compatible with all online fps games. 

£250!!

I'm not sure how happy I'd be going up against the sad rich nerd rocking this on Xbox.

Only if the developer enables MKB Vs Pad gameplay. Microsoft have left the decision up to the developers. I'd like to think most will be sensible and separate MKB players from Pad players (Fortnite does this). If not then I think it will kill online shooters for some.

Just now, Mr Tony said:

Only if the developer enables MKB Vs Pad gameplay. Microsoft have left the decision up to the developers. I'd like to think most will be sensible and separate MKB players from Pad players (Fortnite does this). If not then I think it will kill online shooters for some.

My understanding was that as it is an official product, it works with most if not all games hence my worry that it's a play to win device. I know that it works in pubg for example despite no official support and that there are no K+M console servers in that game.

21 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

My understanding was that as it is an official product, it works with most if not all games hence my worry that it's a play to win device. I know that it works in pubg for example despite no official support and that there are no K+M console servers in that game.

No, it doesn't. Mouse and Keyboard controls only work with games patched to accept them. You can use practically any MKB with the system, the only difference with this Razer is it is wireless without the need of a dongle, and it has the chroma light up deelie.

If the game hasn't been patched or developed to use mouse and keyboard, you can't use mouse and keyboard.

Ahh fair enough. Allowing M+K on console games just seems silly though. I know only a small percentage of people will bother with stuff like this, but it's basically a legal aim assist in online fps games.

I’m not really a fan of anything that splits a game’s playerbase unless it splits me from the Japanese in Splatoon. But consoles are about the luxury of sitting back on a sofa. If you want to play with M+KB, it’s better to do so on PC, so I’m guessing that particular playerbase will be a small pool of tryhards. Sounds fun.

I don't have a problem with it, as long as it seperates them away from pad players. If PUBG for example is patched for MKB and merges lobbies, I'm done with it.

I remember UT3 on PS3. It supported MKB. It fucking sucked if you got in a lobby with some of them. 

There's been an entire underground scene devoted to selling products to people who want that 'competitive' edge in online console games for a while now though (controllers with easier to reach triggers, autofire, M/KB hardware adaptors, etc). Now Microsoft have made it official so they can get a cut of the action.

It's an infectious disease originating on the PC platform, every goddamn thing needs RGB lighting apparently (mainly so you can charge more money for that feature).

• Upvote 1

On 14/01/2019 at 11:15, Gizamaluke said:

Ahh fair enough. Allowing M+K on console games just seems silly though. I know only a small percentage of people will bother with stuff like this, but it's basically a legal aim assist in online fps games.

There are adapters that allow the use of M&K on all games, although sometimes not with exactly the same precision as native M&K as they are pretending to be a controller, and those same adapters can run scripts to automatically adjust aim when firing to offset recoil patterns for example, turning guns into lasers.

<_<

I don't get the desire to have a competitive advantage in online games. It'd be like winning the Tour De France, but knowing you didn't do it because you were the best but because you were ripped to the tits on performance enhancing drugs. I guess they kid themselves that everyone else is doing the same.

But isn't that precisely how some of the greatest athletes of all time have done it? ;) Everybody looks for that next legal aim assist to get one over the competition in professional sports.

Doping has also gone more mainstream as even amateurs fancy that competitive edge, and these hardware assist devices have existed for years on consoles, but are now being legitimised by the platform holders.