rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
formallyhuman

Mdickie - hero or villain?

I know that mainstream gaming outlets and journalists have often overlooked Mat Dickie or even actively attacked his games and the fact that he develops anything at all.

But when you look at the sheer number of games (often wrestling related, but not always) that he developed for PC, by himself, that were so well received by his fans, surely he must be applauded? And, even though he didn't find huge success and riches when developing for PC, he was ahead of the curve and found success developing for mobile.

So, Mdickie: hero or villain?

• Upvote 3

Outsider art is a perfect way to put it. Played a lot of them but Hard Time (the one in a jail) the most, the man's in his own world. Incredible stuff really. 

Popscene feels like I should invest some time in it as well. The bible one is crazy

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Eurogamer did a lovely profile on him a while ago. It seems like he’s living the 1980s developer life in 2019, and more power to him.

Thanks. I'll have to check this out as I am in fact doing a profile of him and would want to avoid retreading too much what EG did already.

By the way, if anybody has any questions they'd like Mat to answer, I'd be happy to ask them.

Edit: sure it isn't this Arstechnica piece you're thinking of? Honestly, reading that, I'm not sure I could have much of substance to add in telling the MDickie story. :(

• Upvote 1

Definitely a hero. A while back Giantbomb made this video of his latest wrestling game, they were laying into it, but all throughout the playthrough they were having fun.

MDickie is a one man band, doing all the coding, design, art, music. So what if its not professional quality. No one person can be a pro in all those areas. He does it because he loves it, and let's be honest, most of us would love to have accomplished what he has. To be experienced in several areas.

I thought the name rang a bell and then it hit me, I went to uni with Mat Dickie! I'll post more another day as its late, but yes he is a legend who even back then was cranking out hilarious and fun beat 'em ups!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

MDickie is a one man band, doing all the coding, design, art, music. So what if its not professional quality. No one person can be a pro in all those areas. 

I get the sentiment, but having just stepped off the Obra Dinn, I'd asterisk that.

9 hours ago, formallyhuman said:

Thanks. I'll have to check this out as I am in fact doing a profile of him and would want to avoid retreading too much what EG did already.

By the way, if anybody has any questions they'd like Mat to answer, I'd be happy to ask them.

Edit: sure it isn't this Arstechnica piece you're thinking of? Honestly, reading that, I'm not sure I could have much of substance to add in telling the MDickie story. :(

I think you might be right about it being that Ars article! But don’t let it stop you having a crack at it.

Yeah, so Mat Dickie did the same videogames course at uni that I did. Even back then he was already making wrestling games with sprites and had a niche fanbase in the wrestling world. From what I remember he was even getting some decent cash out of it, and he had his own website. He was a pretty quiet chap for the most part but had an obvious passion for games and his sense of humour shone through when seeing his work.

He used to bring some of his games (and work in progress) into uni for us to play and they were always a great laugh. They'd all have the trademark Dickie ropeyness to them, crude graphics, ultraviolence, combat soundbank FX. But there was a glee to it all, they were fun for a quick mess around - and made you laugh all the time with how over the top they were. Loveably bad! The whole class would cram around a PC and take turns in his Vs beat em ups or his single player Streets of Rage type games, whilst everyone was laughing at the onscreen antics. Mat was fully aware of the production standards and embraced it. He was really passionate about those kind of games then, and now having read up on his latest exploits I'm glad he's found success in the mobile world.

He was the only guy in the whole class who'd ever made a "real" game and he'd done it all by himself multiple times. I can't remember properly but I think he may have dropped out of the course (I doubt it was teaching him anything very useful that he didn't already know, plus its organisation was terrible). It's pretty cool that he's become semi famous/infamous since, and hasn't changed his vision. His games may look awful on paper but they're entertaining and full of heart and character. I fully expected wrestling to remain niche after WWF's 90s heydays but it's still going strong. That he would eventually release a wrestling game that has millions of players I definitely didn't see coming, so all credit to him!

When you interview Mat say hi from me and give him my kudos!

• Upvote 3

I've never played his games, remember thinking WTF on seeing the steam release of Hard Time. But looking at his biog I'd better try some of his stuff because people like him are an inspiration to me. The amount of customisation in that wrestling game is fantastic. Long live the wild solo devs.