rllmuk
PeteBrant

Best one hit wonder of all time

The Mash. Here are Legs and Co doing it full justice. A video featuring the bonus intro to another classic one hit wonder at the very end.

1 hour ago, Professor Rob said:

What was this, as a matter of interest?

MARRS - Pump up the Volume

I've fixed the link so it works but it's audio only. The video for the song appears to have been taken down

• Upvote 1

On 11/01/2019 at 21:49, cubik said:

Another absolute banger:

Technically, they did have a follow up hit, Slam which reached the heady heights of number 54. Still got both of these on 12"

Fantastic tune!  But didn't Stakker Humanoid become Future Sound of London with exactly the same two guys in the lineup?  Does it count as a one-hit wonder if they just change their name?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tonic_water said:

Fantastic tune!  But didn't Stakker Humanoid become Future Sound of London with exactly the same two guys in the lineup?  Does it count as a one-hit wonder if they just change their name?

I think it still counts. There's loads of great tracks from that 80's dance/rave era that are one hit wonders.

Voodoo Ray by A Guy Called Gerald

French Kiss by Lil' Louis

Love Can't Turn Around by Farley Jackmaster Funk

House Arrest by Krush

Numero uno by Starlight

On 12/01/2019 at 18:50, SeanR said:

and the actual video is NSFW

Yeah, I remember seeing it on something like the James Whale Radio Show... (I remember having the 12" version on Now Dance).

Here it is in all its nuddie glory

Couple of 80s Italian Pop One Hit Wonders

Spagna - Call Me (no 3)

And this one.. I wonder why it was number one for two months in Italy (number two in the UK)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cubik said:

I think it still counts. There's loads of great tracks from that 80's dance/rave era that are one hit wonders.

Voodoo Ray by A Guy Called Gerald

French Kiss by Lil' Louis

Love Can't Turn Around by Farley Jackmaster Funk

House Arrest by Krush

Numero uno by Starlight

How could we forget Hardcore Uproar by Together?

My first thought for something to post in this thread was this song. Not that I think it's anywhere near the best one-hit wonder ever, but am fond of it.

I remember it being played heavily on Virgin Radio in late 2001 - and then it abruptly stopped after 9/11. I always wondered if that was the reason I never heard it again - after all, in the US there was a list of songs banned after 9/11 for their death/afterlife subject matter.

But it turns out that it's disqualified from this thread because the band's follow-up single hit #20 in the UK chart! So I've just linked to it instead of embedding it.

No-one mentioned Stiltskin?

Great Levis advert in the mid-nineties, and I remember our sixth-form common room going mental for the music. Then the single came out and it went to number 1, but the full song didn't really live up to the snippet used in the ad. According to Wikipedia they only released two more singles in the 90s, which went to 34 and 107, then two more in 2006 that didn't even chart.

who were the muppets on the sony minidisc advert?

same career graph chart

[edit]

REEF!

Edited by SeanR
  • Downvote 1

Reef did a bit better than Stiltskin, though. But as we're in taking 90s rock, you've reminded me of this:

Their version of Cat's in the Cradle that did pretty well, but that's about it.

The Bluebells - Young at Heart

Follow up charted at 38, and they only had one more hit... a re-release of Young at Heart!

I normally hate fiddle, but there's so much charm in this song it's impossible to hate.

I'm in a way glad that We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna Use It can't be included, as they deserve to be remembered. Their two biggest hits - INternational Rescue and Pink Sunshine - are amazing pop.

Surely the very definition of the one hit wonder would be "Bring me Eidelweiss" by Eidelweiss given it's origin? But there's also "Inside" by Stiltskin which I suppose you can throw onto the pile of late 90s/early 2000s Levis ad soundtracks along with the already mentioned "Spaceman".

2-Unlimited should have stopped at "No Limit" so they could be considered and I don't know enough about he Bomb Funk MCs to ascertain whether "Freestyler" was their only hit.

Video streaming sites are blocked at work hence no supporting video evidence.

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

who were the muppets on the sony minidisc advert?

same career graph chart

[edit]

REEF!

Not really, Stiltskin didn't release another album after the one that Inside was on (their debut). However Reef went on to release 4 more (including one last year). Their second album Glow went straight to number one in the UK album charts and at least one of the singles from that charted higher than 'Naked' which was the song on the mini-disc commercial.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Chosty said:

Reef did a bit better than Stiltskin, though. But as we're in taking 90s rock, you've reminded me of this:

Their version of Cat's in the Cradle that did pretty well, but that's about it.

Yeah, there was a lot of early 90s guitar bands with one hit wonders. For example

Nice thumbnail!

I'm sure you could go to old Beavis and Butthead episodes and find a load of them!

"Ugly Kid Chode"