PeteBrant

Best one hit wonder of all time

On 11/01/2019 at 11:35, PeteBrant said:

Ok. Rules are:

1. "Hit" is defined by a top ten chart position in the UK Top 30/40

2. "one hit" is defined by no subsequent release by the same group/individual getting into the Top 30.

3. If an individual/band has a hit goes on to form part of another group later and has a hit, then their previous record can still be considered a one hit wonder

On 11/01/2019 at 10:12, PeteBrant said:

You could also have , say, "Spaceman" by Babylon Zoo.

Animal Army by Babylon Zoo reached number 17.

LAWYERED.

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Animal Army by Babylon Zoo reached number 17.

LAWYERED.

Ah. babylon zoo are now inelligiable.

TO be fair, I was making up the rules as I went a long.

• Upvote 1

On the plus side, I'm safe. I don't think as a group the Cubans cracked the Top 40 again, although Rikki did several times, including Eurovision "smash" Teenage Life.

The "official" definition of one hit wonder is stricter than Pete and goes "no other top 40s after having a number 1 and didn't have an involvement in another top 40 hit". (Which is where we exclude the Cuban Boys).

There's actually very few, for instance the entire list for the 90s was Partners in Kryme, Hale and Pace, Doop, White Town, Teletubbies, Mr Oizo, Baz Luhrmann and Lou Bega. 

Other possible answers include Ricky Valance, Archies, Lee Marvin, Clice Dunn, John Denver, Telly Savalas, Windsor Davies, M*A*S*H, Joe Dolce Musical Theatre, Renee and Ronato, M/A/R/R/S, Robin Beck, Rui Da Silve, DJ Pied Piper, Las Ketchup, Tomcraft.

Although the data from everyhit only goes to the end of 2009.

3 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Ah. babylon zoo are now inelligiable.

TO be fair, I was making up the rules as I went a long.

If you'd said top 40, Babylon Zoo would somehow have a 3rd single qualify.

You'd think Italo Disco would be a fertile breeding ground for one hit wonders, but most artists managed at least a follow up hit or two, at least in Italy or Germany.

I mean, Koto kept making novelty bangers about Jabba the Hutt and Dragon's Lair and shit like that, but people kept buying.

I also just assumed Jordy was your archetypal one hit wonder, but the kid had four(!) top 40 hits in France.

Wikipedia also informs me that the French government eventually banned his music over concerns that he was being exploited, after his parents opened some theme park/farm attraction based around him.

You find these bands that are inexplicably popular elsewhere.

For instance Rednex's most successful single is arguably not Cotton Eye Joe, but this.

Which was somehow the 9th best selling single of the entire 2000s decade in Germany but released 5 years after they last released anything in the UK.

I didn't see that, I wonder which of their 3 chart singles they think was the one hit.  Because the highest charting one was the last one (Waking Up).