Stanley

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

14 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

How is this for playing with kids? Could I play it with my 3 and 5 year olds ‘helping’ (flailing around aimlessly)?

5 year old yeah just about but expect mayhem and laughs rarher than coordinated play. Your 3 year old would struggle I think. Don't expect to be leading the way either! 

My nephew liked it but found it frustrating so we didn't end up playing it all that often.
Mario is easy as pie for us lot since we grew up playing manic miner, but for your average mollycoddled gamer nowadays instant death holes are an alien concept.

He liked the yoshis though, we always had to go and get yoshis.

They should have a kid mode where all the holes are blocked up and rather than dying when you get hurt you just lose a few coins or something. He loved everything about it but just found it too hard at the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Was that on Wii U? There are I believe two new easier characters on Switch, one of whom, Nabbit, cannot be harmed, still falls off platforms though :doh:

Honestly, I'm finding it pretty hard myself. I started off trying to not move on til I'd got the three coins for each stage but I'm just not good enough yet to do that. Maybe when I finish it, I'll be motivated to go back. I'm just working my way through the levels and finding that a decent goal. Really having fun with it. It's not a total mind blinder but it's probably:

A- / B+ / A-

I love what I've tried of the Challenge modes, as well, some great stuff there. The DLC is also a fun change of pace, feels more speedrunny. 

This has made me question my own mortality in a way no game has ever managed and led me to realise my youth hasn’t lasted forever.  I’m old and rubbish at Mario.  Like awful, my evening has been my swearing and shouting ‘noooo’ at the TV and the cat.  :angry:

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 4

As I was playing it on Wii U this week, there were a couple of moments where I went ‘and that’s why you’re not getting another £40 out of me to play this with a Joycon’.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, David Heath said:

Bought this in Soho yesterday on my lunch break. Like, I actually walked into a GAME and bought it. Reckon it's the first game I've bought in a shop in about ten years. Never had a Wii-U so was pumped as fuck to play it. But I got hammered after work in a German pub in King's Cross, then bought a bottle of wine on the way home from the M&S in Victoria station, and it was a 1 litre bottle instead of the usual 75cl bottles, which I didn't realise until later, so I got home and had a shower and locked myself in my room and opened the wine and got down to it. Reckon I passed out after drinking all the wine at about 3am. Woke up this morning and it looks like I'm on the ice world now, which is cool.

10/10

Hero. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Mike said:

This has made me question my own mortality in a way no game has ever managed and led me to realise my youth hasn’t lasted forever.  I’m old and rubbish at Mario.  Like awful, my evening has been my swearing and shouting ‘noooo’ at the TV and the cat.  :angry:

I had that to begin with but after a couple of hours the Mario muscle memory came back and found myself bounding and stomping my way across chasms like the good old days. About 80% of the time, anyway.

It's very moreish - just one more level, oh and then a boss/mini boss so it saves progress, then one more level, then an earlier level to get all the gold coins..

Perfect chilled out winter evening gaming. 

• Empathy 1

For those trying to 100% as they go along - if you beat the end boss it unlocks being able to save whenever you want. So might be better to aim for that *then* mop up;

Unless this changed from the Wii U version, anyway.

• Upvote 4

My nephew went through a phase of compulsively deleting save files.

I'd go to get him a can of pop or something and come back, see the impish glee on his face and I knew what he'd done :lol:

I did finish it eventually. Not sure if I did all the rainbow world levels though.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, witchypoos said:

I did finish it eventually. Not sure if I did all the rainbow world levels though.

The what now?

*Googles it*

I think I somehow missed these. :facepalm:

I'm tempted to get this, is it like Super Mario World? 

Is it an easy play? I'd like a bit of challenge. I've been playing Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and find that a bit harder than I'd like. 

1 minute ago, Wahwah* said:

I'm tempted to get this, is it like Super Mario World? 

Is it an easy play? I'd like a bit of challenge. I've been playing Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and find that a bit harder than I'd like. 

It's as challenging as you want with the option of using different easier characters and bypassing levels entirely, it's very user friendly. You'll want to play it properly with Mario though, the challenge is enjoyable, and yeah it's a lot like SMW, it's mechanically perfect with excellent levels. 

• Upvote 1

I've got NSMBU on my WiiU as a digital download but not the Luigi add-on.

Is the Luigi stuff worth a sort of double and a half dip?

Just need Nintendo to do a port of Wind Waker HD and I can retire my WiiU.

That and 3D world, which I hope they announce this year. 

I'm in the jungle now on this, it's brilliant, isn't it? 2 player co op is great too.

• Upvote 1

Ordered this on Thursday having decided to pass on it as I wrinsed it on WiiU (all but 1 of the post game levels from what I recall). Played it all in boost mode with my brother in law, doing 1 life each.

Anyway, don't recall it being this hard.. Really enjoying it though.

I'm hoping to put more time into Luigi this time around, I remember it feeling just a little too rushed somehow first time around..

This game is awesome.

Ability spoiler

Spoiler

Mini Mario.

:wub:

Also those sneaky, sneaky ghost house levels. Still can't believe there was nothing ghostly in Odyssey, I missed them.

• Upvote 2