Stanley

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

Just now, joe bazooka said:

Yeah, launch line up was pretty lame.

It wasn't just the launch line up. Plenty of systems with 'uninspired' launch line ups go on to be successful.

Just now, Stanley said:

Ok but the 3DS game which launched months earlier, looks the same, went on to sell 17 million. The problem was the hardware, not the game.

I feel, before the Switch, people expected their handheld games to look quite a bit less fancy than they do on a HD home console. But let's go with what you're saying. The WiiU hardware/message wise was a mess? Okay, I can agree with that. So it's fair to say that to overcome such a mess you'd need one fucking great fucker of a launch title. NSMBU wasn't that.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, joe bazooka said:

I feel, before the Switch, people expected their handheld games to look quite a bit less fancy than they do on a HD home console. But let's go with what you're saying. The WiiU hardware/message wise was a mess? Okay, I can agree with that. So it's fair to say that to overcome such a mess you'd need one fucking great fucker of a launch title. NSMBU wasn't that.

I don't believe any title could have saved Wii U. It was a confusing mess from the moment they announced it, and although it's got loads of ace games, NSMBU included, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Mario 3D etc. none of them were enough to sell an idea which even Nintendo themselves seemed confused by. The hardware with all its weird and wonderful array of controllers just became this huge barrier of entry for most people.

Just now, Bushtopher said:

I still don’t understand the Wii U :(

What's not to get? It was an add-on for the Wii. Similar to how a docked Switch gives you a higher resolution or framerate. The Wii U did the same for the Wii. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bushtopher said:

I still don’t understand the Wii U :(

Me neither tbh. I think if they just called it Wii 2 and it came with next gen versions of the wii nunchuck and remote it would have fared better.

I totally agree with Stanley's point that there was nothing eye-catching to sell the actual hardware and its strengths, as Wii Sports did within seconds. I certainly couldn't attribute this fault to NSMBU or its own failings as a game. As a purely 'standalone' experience, it's really very good and I've had a great time with it this morning. I'd say it's my favourite 2D platformer on the Switch, or at least tied with Tropical Freeze. 

That said, within the context of several very similar titles in very recent memory, it was not only poorly scheduled, it was also partly 'responsible' for the 'so what?' response to the Wii U, in my opinion. The Wii (and the DS) got me back into gaming after pretty much skipping the PS2 era and having no real interest in the 360/PS3 until a few years after launch.

I absolutely adored them both and I should have been foaming at the mouth for the Wii U, but I genuinely genuinely thought it was an add-on like Motion Plus and once I did understand what it was, there was absolutely nothing which convinced me I needed to pick one up. I finally just took a punt in late 2015 for the sake of it and NSMBU still seemed like it was another by-numbers NSMB game.

Even though I was wrong about its merits, it was never going to turn heads. 

I think a lot of people simply were not ready to buy a new Nintendo console at the time.

Wiis were still all under peoples TVs and Just Dance and Mario Kart still getting played. If they were going to buy anything new it would be a PS4.

Switch definitely benefited from that extra time, people having to make do with PS4's version of the type of games Nintendo does for a bit,  and the failure of Wii U. They were just far more ready for a new Nintendo console.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fatsam said:

I think a lot of people simply were not ready to buy a new Nintendo console at the time.

Wiis were still all under peoples TVs and Just Dance and Mario Kart still getting played. If they were going to buy anything new it would be a PS4.

Switch definitely benefited from that extra time, people having to make do with PS4's version of the type of games Nintendo does for a bit,  and the failure of Wii U. They were just far more ready for a new Nintendo console.

I don’t think timing was the issue.

The tablet and related price coupled with confused marketing were all to blame.

1 minute ago, Fatsam said:

More than ready, I agree, that's why we're lapping Switch's up now. All they needed at that time was a Wii Pro upgrade to carry them through.

In retrospect I think they perhaps should have delayed the release of motion plus for a bit and released an upgraded Wii 2 or Wii Plus along with Skyward Sword and Sports Resort.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Fatsam said:

In retrospect I think they perhaps should have delayed the release of motion plus for a bit and released an upgraded Wii 2 along with Skyward Sword and Sports Resort.

I think they should have done exactly what they did because that massive fuck up has resulted in the best Nintendo console of all time!

2 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

In retrospect I think they perhaps should have delayed the release of motion plus for a bit and released an upgraded Wii 2 or Wii Plus along with Skyward Sword and Sports Resort.

This, and one that did HD of course.

4 minutes ago, joe bazooka said:

I think they should have done exactly what they did because that massive fuck up has resulted in the best Nintendo console of all time!

I think Wii U was always intended to do what the Switch does, the hardware just wasn't ready so they fudged it and then backpeddled on what it was they were trying to achieve, big mistake.

8 minutes ago, joe bazooka said:

The SNES mini? You’re goddamn right. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Yup. Totally agree.

13 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

The tablet and related price coupled with confused marketing were all to blame.

More like "what marketing?", the vast majority of people who should've been in its target market had no idea it even existed. All these Switch re-releases show that it had, and still has, some absolutely brilliant games though, and I'm glad of the resurge in interest in the games as they certainly deserve it. Problem being that given I've got them all on Wii U I've almost no reason whatsoever to get a Switch.

7 minutes ago, stefcha said:

More like "what marketing?", the vast majority of people who should've been in its target market had no idea it even existed. All these Switch re-releases show that it had, and still has, some absolutely brilliant games though, and I'm glad of the resurge in interest in the games as they certainly deserve it. Problem being that given I've got them all on Wii U I've almost no reason whatsoever to get a Switch.

Yeah and I’m sure a lot of them who did hear about it thought it was a £280 tablet for the existing Wii.

8 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Problem being that given I've got them all on Wii U I've almost no reason whatsoever to get a Switch.

The are far more compelling reasons get a Switch than just the Wii U ports. 

1 hour ago, joe bazooka said:

He's saying that MarioU looked very uninspired for a launch title on a new HD console. And he's right. I'm sure it wasn't the only reason for the WiiU's failure but it certainly didn't help.

Nope. It was the first HD Mario game, remember. Back then it looked incredible for this reason alone.

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The are far more compelling reasons get a Switch than just the Wii U ports

Not for me there aren't (little interest in any aspect of it bar Mario Odyssey), enjoy your Switch though!

3 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Not for me there aren't (little interest in any aspect of it bar Mario Odyssey), enjoy your Switch though!

So bar the best 3D Mario since 64 then :P

Can we get back to talking about the game please?

I think I might need to bite the bullet and get an 8bitdo for this, the joycons and the pro controller aren't cutting it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Can we get back to talking about the game please?

I think I might need to bite the bullet and get an 8bitdo for this, the joycons and the pro controller aren't cutting it.

I'm finding it perfect with the pro tbh, although sometimes my thumb does naturally move over to the analogue stick without me realising.

I think it's a nice game to get stuck into during the January blues. Mario controls beautifully with just the right amount of inertia to make things challenging. Have to admit I do use Toadette occasionally though :blush:

Multiplayer is fucking insane.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Me neither tbh. I think if they just called it Wii 2 and it came with next gen versions of the wii nunchuck and remote it would have fared better.

Super Wii