Stanley

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

91SzXbxJpML._SY445_.jpg.57753af192776b0ab7ab1e59db6e658b.jpg

So this is out on Fri for Switch, anyone else picking it up, or are you getting fed up of Wii U ports?

I can't wait as I never owned a Wii U, a brand new 2D Mario :omg:

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

And you call yourself a Nintendo fan. 

I know, who'd have thought such blinkered fanboys would have passed the Wii U by. 

21 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I know, who'd have thought such blinkered fanboys would have passed the Wii U by. 

Even I have a Wii U, and I've been called a Nintendo hater! I also have the Wii U version of this game. You, as a blinkered fanboy, probably know this: what is different in this version? New content or just fancier graphics?

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Even I have a Wii U, and I've been called a Nintendo hater! I also have the Wii U version of this game. You, as a blinkered fanboy, probably know this: what is different in this version? New content or just fancier graphics?

I think it's the same content wise with the Luigi stuff included, but I don't think there are any other changes - it might have better performance/resolution/loading, similar to Tropical Freeze.

• Upvote 1

the advert says a hundred and twenty something brand new courses (fuck off Nintendo they are LEVELS) all over the place. Liars!

It adds the Luigi DLC but loses Boost Mode which was a two player mode where the second player assisted by creating platforms on the touch screen. There was a selection of challenges from this mode too.

I didn't make much use of it but there were some spectacular Nintendo staff superplay videos of Boost Mode antics.

4 minutes ago, Naieve said:

the advert says a hundred and twenty something brand new courses (fuck off Nintendo they are LEVELS) all over the place. Liars!

That's very misleading, could lead owners of the Wii U game into thinking they are additional levels not present in the original.

Shame about boost mode going, don't see why they couldn't have made it work somehow, even if it just required a second Switch.

22 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The Wii U was (is) great but being a Wii U owner means less to play on my Switch. 

It really doesn't. Not in any meaningful way.

Is the multiplayer aspect any good? I'm looking for something I can play with my 2 boys. They're not great players, but any game where they are involved and I can push them through the tricky bits will go down well.

11 minutes ago, Naieve said:

Where is the advert? None of those I can find say this.

the one on the e-shop definitely said that, I remember thinking it was a quaint return the snes days of listing the number of levels or arguing about which console had more colours

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

It really doesn't. Not in any meaningful way.

In a first party Nintendo release kind of way it does though. I love the machine and it's abundance of releases but I'd love some more original first party efforts. 

• Upvote 1

I've got this pre-ordered and pre-loaded.

I had the main game on the wii U but not the dlc, but it doesn't really matter as I'll have forgotten most of it anyway so it will be like playing a whole new game, getting old has its advantages.

Woo hoo brand new Mario.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, NickC said:

Is the multiplayer aspect any good? I'm looking for something I can play with my 2 boys. They're not great players, but any game where they are involved and I can push them through the tricky bits will go down well.

On the Wii U it was pretty brutal, the kids were just dying over and over again. I had to take the time to build up a big pile of lives bouncing on a trapped koopa shell before each session.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

In a first party Nintendo release kind of way it does though. I love the machine and it's abundance of releases but I'd love some more original first party efforts. 

I'm not sure I have time for all the ones there currently, never mind more.

9 minutes ago, Naieve said:

the one on the e-shop definitely said that, I remember thinking it was a quaint return the snes days of listing the number of levels or arguing about which console had more colours

Which region eShop?

@NaieveMmm. Being brutal doesn't sound good. I was hoping to play with my daughters, the youngest of which is still learning how to play.

What happens if you play 3p and one player isn't very good?

1 minute ago, deKay said:

I'm not sure I have time for all the ones there currently, never mind more.

I don't like Smash or Tennis but the good thing is there is something for everyone on the Switch I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Soi said:

Mmm. Being brutal doesn't sound good. I was hoping to play with my daughters, the youngest of which is still learning how to play

The game has a playable character who doesn't take damage and as long as at least one player remains alive (and you have enough lives to facilitate it) the other player(s) can continually rejoin after death.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I don't like Smash or Tennis but the good thing is there is something for everyone on the Switch I guess. 

I don't like Tennis either.

2 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Yep. Literally, even; you can pick up and throw each other.

Cool. Pre-order re-pre-ordered.

• Upvote 2

It can be fun in multiplayer, but, as with the Wii version, NSMBU is far too frequently frustrating, infuriating, and unsatisfactory, played with others. Nabbit was an okay addition and everything, but ultimately felt like a bit of a cheat. It's not a game designed around all age/ability multiplayer fun. That was Nintendoland's job at the Wii U launch. Mario 3D World works much better in multiplayer too.

NSMBU is at its best played solo,  rinsing the sensationally designed levels and going for100% before doing the same on Luigi U and tackling the challenge levels. That's where it shines as a platformer. The most sophisticated and wonderful 2D platformer ever made. That's what you should be buying it for.

• Upvote 2

Man, this game is great and up there with the best 2D platforms ever but I own it and the dlc on the Wii u that’s still hooked up to the main telly.....  but portable this has to be worth it!