rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
GamesGamesGames

Bring forth your pixel art champions.

6 hours ago, Wiper said:

Real artistry is taking a palette limited to 16 colours per screen and a resolution of 320 x 200 / 320 x 240 and producing this:

1495364453_FutureWars.gif.7a46824fd453ee5c92a5522aae7f0024.gif

And this:

926878163_AnotherWorld640.gif.2bca6c4716bd8a21450155943c6d5f0d.gif

Eric Chahi was disgustingly good in his heyday.

That first one in particular is amazing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iknowgungfu said:

That first one in particular is amazing. 

Yeah, it's a stunning piece of work. Sadly the game it's from (Future Wars) is hard to recommend for anything beyond its fantastic backgrounds. The skyscraper is probably the most impressive, which at least means that everyone got to enjoy it (it's from the very start of the game), but the main pleasure to be had in the game is encountering new environments; e.g:

1447509361_FutureWarsApocalypse640.png.187ccc012d1d0ee46c10892f69816904.png

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Soulstar said:

Speaking of limited colour palettes, @Unofficial Who posted this trailer up of a new game in the retro section the other day and it really had me quite hyped upon both seeing and hearing the music to the trailer. Check out the video. 

Bloody hell! That looks awesome. Is it out yet?

Edit: Yes. Yes it is. I have purchased :D

Edit Edit: Already awesome.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Bloody hell! That looks awesome. Is it out yet?

Edit: Yes. Yes it is. I have purchased :D

Edit Edit: Already awesome.

So is it good then to play as I haven’t seen any more of it other than this trailer. Is it PC only then as well? Would love a PS4 version. 

7 minutes ago, Soulstar said:

So is it good then to play as I haven’t seen any more of it other than this trailer. Is it PC only then as well? Would love a PS4 version. 

I know this might be contentious (but it is my main platform)  would be interested in this on the Switch. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Soulstar said:

It's very atmospheric, and plays more or less like Another World really. Along with that slight unresponsiveness in the controls that games of that ilk had back in the day. But, it's really well done indeed. For £6, I have no regrets :)

We're living in a golden age of pixel art. Not to dismiss the foundations laid by artists in the 80s and 90s which inform everything being done today but imagine if today's artists had been around back in the day...

Case in point:

zx2.png

zx1.png

(here's the artists pixelJoint page http://pixeljoint.com/p/158490.htm)

• Upvote 4

On 12/01/2019 at 23:53, Soulstar said:

Speaking of limited colour palettes, @Unofficial Who posted this trailer up of a new game in the retro section the other day and it really had me quite hyped upon both seeing and hearing the music to the trailer. Check out the video. 

This looks stunning. 

47 minutes ago, K said:

This looks stunning. 

It really does. I’ve not played a computer game for years - would this on my MacBook Pro?

On 13/01/2019 at 13:53, Mars said:

Army of Trolls :wub:

gam_pixelposter_480.jpg&client=amp-blogs

19A0DA78-BC26-4159-A2EB-5DDD513F482F.jpeg

Great to see Gary still churning out artwork, I met him once and sold him a Virtual Boy. That he can still see is something of a minor miracle.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Pob said:

It really does. I’ve not played a computer game for years - would this on my MacBook Pro?

Dunno. Given that the minimum spec is 1GB RAM and a processor from the mid-noughties, I would imagine any computer made in the last ten years would run it, but can't be certain. 

2 minutes ago, K said:

Dunno. Given that the minimum spec is 1GB RAM and a processor from the mid-noughties, I would imagine any computer made in the last ten years would run it, but can't be certain. 

Cool cheers. I looked on Steam and their own website and couldn't see any minimum spec.

From the Steam page:

MINIMUM:

Processor: Intel Pentium D 830 (2* 3000) or equivalent / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (2600) or equivalent

Memory: 1 GB RAM

Graphics: CGA Graphics card or higher

Storage: 280 MB available space

Sound Card: PC speakers or higher

• Upvote 1

On 12/01/2019 at 23:53, Soulstar said:

Is that hand-drawn, or is it doing something clever with lo-res rendering and shaders?