Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

I was enjoying this and slowly seeing more and more of its charms as it went on and then today it just flew up the GOTY list. I managed to get a load of lightning boons that lead to me knocking back foes and electrocuting them, dashing and electrocuting them, having all of my lightning bolts double and cause extra damage as I zoomed around double dashing. I went from being stuck dying around the beginning of the 2nd area to flying through and nearly doing Elysium on my first run. 

It's a belter, this. 

On 23/09/2020 at 10:07, Cyhwuhx said:

The lore takes a bit of a backseat in Dead Cells tbh. You can even turn those rooms off completely in the settings.

lack of lore/story/characters is what makes me tend to dislike and get bored with roguelikes - Hades doesn't feel like that at all.  I love it.

50 minutes ago, scottcr said:

lack of lore/story/characters is what makes me tend to dislike and get bored with roguelikes - Hades doesn't feel like that at all.  I love it.

Can imagine. Dead Cells is very speedrunny. Visiting lore rooms even pauses the in-game timer. As long as the lore doesn't get in the way of playing the game it should be fine.

*imagines the horror that is Dead Cells with Okami conversations*

BTW everyone who's loving this, you should really check out Slay the Spire at some point. It's fab and shares much of the same gameplay loop and that amazing feeling when you stumble on a good combo of powers which makes you feel like a BOSS. 

1 hour ago, robdood said:

BTW everyone who's loving this, you should really check out Slay the Spire at some point. It's fab and shares much of the same gameplay loop and that amazing feeling when you stumble on a good combo of powers which makes you feel like a BOSS. 

Yeah interestingly I’ve had StS on Switch for ages, but since buying Hades I’ve picked it up again on PC game pass and been playing them interchangeably. Prefer Spire on PC tbh, mouse control is much slicker, and text much clearer on a 4K screen

Oh my god, the shield has become my new favourite.  The run I started at lunchtime has a super-powered up Dionysus poison on it, and has been upgraded to bounce more times before returning.  You don't even need to be able to see enemies, just mash triangle and it does the rest!  Keeping a constant stack of 5 poisons is horrendously op.  Poor Hydra didn't have a chance. Nothing's had a chance yet.  

Will I finally clear Elysium?!? Stay tuned. 

I caved about an hour before the switch sale ended. I don't have good experience with this sort of game. Not my cup of tea at all, but everyone keeps banging on about it and I want join in on it like the twat I am.

Anyway, it's a bit good, isn't it? 

1 hour ago, Lying Cat said:

It's like Diablo for babies really. You just mash X to win.

Get out. 

You haven't even played it. 

PS It's set in the UNDERWORLD, Hades is the God of the Dead.  Just saying. 

13 minutes ago, robdood said:

PS It's set in the UNDERWORLD, Hades is the God of the Dead.  Just saying. 

They can both be called Hades.

13 minutes ago, robdood said:

Get out. 

You haven't even played it. 

I have, and while I haven't won yet, I do press X a lot. And I predict that at some point I'm going to win doing that.

(Obviously I am not being super serious, Hades (which is the name of the underworld) is an absolutely stupendous game).

Got this a couple of days ago and yes, it's fantastic. Love what they've done with the narrative, characters and lore and how they've fitted them round the Roguelike structure. The combat's pretty feisty too. 

Generally I'm less keen on these Roguelites that have you constantly levelling up between runs. Prefer something like Spelunky, where you simply have to learn and improvise. But all the systems are integrated so well here it makes perfect sense.

Visuals and music are sumptuous too. As long as doesn't get too repetitive (like Dead Cells) it feels like a GOTY leader so far.