Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Can someone explain your cast to me? Seems pretty lacklustre 

I thought cast was useless at first, too, but with the right boons it can be deadly. It doesn't really come into its own until you've been playing a while, but if you get Ares' Slicing Shot, say, and the boon that makes your Blade Rift deal extra damage for each consecutive hit, you're laughing. On one bow run I had a duo boon where my cast sent out pulses out that hurt anything near me. With damage upgrades, I basically beat the final boss by constantly dashing around him.

Really struggling with the bow in general, find the slow speed means I often end up getting my arse handed to me. Going to try a few runs with it this evening and improve my skills, find some boons that help me.

Edit: also, how do you unlock the weapon variations?

4 minutes ago, spanx said:

Really struggling with the bow in general, find the slow speed means I often end up getting my arse handed to me. Going to try a few runs with it this evening and improve my skills, find some boons that help me.

You need to unlock all the different weapons with Cthonic Keys first. Once you've done that, you can unlock different aspects of each with Titan Blood. There's a hidden aspect for each one, too, for which you'll need a passphrase from a certain character. 

28 minutes ago, spanx said:

The Bow works really well with Athena's Deflect boon on the Special. That alone can get you really far.

3 hours ago, choddo said:

Don't underestimate the bow's Special once it's got a couple of boons. I was creaming some really tough bullet hell beasties with it last night.

Don't understimate the use of its primary shot too, with the right upgrades. Triple-shot plus no-charge-time turns it into a speedy, reactive shotgun, leaving the special for more drastic room-clearance.

Still, it's all about the shield for me. Poseidon aspect + deflect = hilarity. Though I wish the game were patched so that the PC would actually call it Poseidon aspect, rather than Nemesis, as he's decided it is.

(Also I'd quite like them to patch the in-game text, which is seriously messed up for me. Loads of variable names making it in game instead of the actual variable, plus an impossible to read save screen where I can't see any of the progress values. Surprised by how unfinished those aspects feel, given the fact it's out of EA, and the studio's general polish in previous games)

1 hour ago, Rudderless said:

You need to unlock all the different weapons with Cthonic Keys first. Once you've done that, you can unlock different aspects of each with Titan Blood. There's a hidden aspect for each one, too, for which you'll need a passphrase from a certain character. 

Is there something else that needs to be done, do you know? I've unlocked all the weapons but don't have an option to unlock aspects, unless i'm looking in the wrong place.

9 minutes ago, Takizawa said:

Is there something else that needs to be done, do you know? I've unlocked all the weapons but don't have an option to unlock aspects, unless i'm looking in the wrong place.

It's been a long while since I unlocked them tbh, been playing since Early Access launch. I'm sure you just go up to them in the sparring room and press the shoulder button and it'll give you the options? Basically, select the weapon and then select it again. 

14 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Bastion and Transistor were right up my street but I bounced off Pyre’s stop-start rhythm. Am I right in thinking this would work for me?

YES 

6 hours ago, Wiper said:

(Also I'd quite like them to patch the in-game text, which is seriously messed up for me. Loads of variable names making it in game instead of the actual variable, plus an impossible to read save screen where I can't see any of the progress values. Surprised by how unfinished those aspects feel, given the fact it's out of EA, and the studio's general polish in previous games)

Weird - playing on steam and its flawless. As was the version immediately before 1.0.

I've somehow clocked up 40+ hours in 11 days (actually an average of 4 hours a day - perhaps I'd better find something else to do but one-more-go).

6 hours ago, Takizawa said:

Hidden aspects - you need to put five titan blood into the relevant weapon first. Then another 3 titan blood to unlock the aspect.

You'll quickly realise that unlocking a hidden aspect isn't going to be particularly trivial until you can finish the game (given the number of titan blood you get easily...).

I had some great runs tonight, have managed to finish Tartarus and Asphodel with each weapon, so now agonising over the aspects. Spent one titan blood on a fat load of gems like a dick though. But was worth it for improved treasure troves and more gold in jars. 

(ps, love the gold in jars upgrade, how you can tell visually which ones are worth breaking.. Yet another nice conscious design choice to stop people wasting their time!) 

My fists run tonight was interesting, I'd had a strange run and not many boons, so ended up trying out Sisyphus' keepsake (increased attack, special and cast damage while no boon affecting them) after clearing Tartarus. It worked nicely, I just put everything into dodge and dodge deflect. Combined with the just-in-time dodge lightning from zeus, I was a beast! Nearly had that fucking Theseus, the bastard. 

Last run of the evening was with the rail, which I've not really used because I find it a bit weird. But man, it ended up amazing. First boon was an epic Ares attack casts doom. Then I got a Daedalus hammer which gave me super high rate of fire. It was insane.  Got bit of Tidal dash on the go, after a few level ups it was madaf, as @Bojangle said above. My rockets got several aphrodite boons, dmg up + weak, then weak enemies take more damage, then Daedalus into a bazooka, then a final aphrodite boon which temporarily charmed enemies.  It was fucking mad.  Died to Theseus. Again. The charm even worked during that boss fight, was amazing. 

Soon. Soon he will fall. 

Furthest chamber: 38

Escape attempts: 11

• robdood changed the title to Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.
2 hours ago, footle said:

Weird - playing on steam and its flawless. As was the version immediately before 1.0.

I've somehow clocked up 40+ hours in 11 days (actually an average of 4 hours a day - perhaps I'd better find something else to do but one-more-go).

Maybe it's something wrong with the Epic version? This is what I see on:

Save select:

Spoiler

258296031_HadesSaveSelect.thumb.jpg.63ee6f0161a27c1228c9e7f2bc8b65c3.jpg

Progress view:

Spoiler

1969522959_ProgressView.thumb.jpg.ea3b1cffa72ec3c2b86c0902ceb7afe6.jpg

And, my favourite, the patch notes:

Spoiler

693451650_PatchNotes.thumb.jpg.a9bd7a14220cc01996bda5aaba021498.jpg

Clearly this is the most special reward of all for getting it while it was in early access ;)

The only real problems are that for a small number of Pom upgrades I have no idea what they'll do, as the bit of the tooltip that should give the actual damage/range/whatever increase is just gibberish - so I don't know what upgrading Aphrodite's cast actually does, for example.

6 hours ago, Wiper said:

Maybe it's something wrong with the Epic version?

Epic Version is fine for me, playing on an ultrawide. Doesn’t seem like the sort of bug Supergiant would let slip through so I’d wager it’s a bit of a weird one. If you haven’t already I’d get it reported on their Discord, they’re super responsive over there. :)

8 hours ago, Hexx said:

Ha. You’re so much better than me. 

About 30 runs and just made it to Elysian for first time

Heh, I've played it sporadically since 2018, man!  So I've had loads of practice.  I go to pieces in Elysium though.  Things properly step up a gear there.  

@Wiper have you uninstalled/reinstalled?  That's a weird one. 

Only bug I've noticed is the game crashing/getting non-responsive when I try to rebind the controls.  Not good, I want reload for the Rail on the left stick  click :(

Just to add to all the praise - I'm absolutely loving this. Funnily enough, my brother, a mate and I were having a debate about me stating that I'm not interested in a PS5 because I don't enjoy the Sony exclusives that much. I did say I thought God of War and Spiderman were fun but GOW I found very linear and repetitive. My brother argued that the setting and how well it was done made the game so good for him and said the gameplay was the background factor...

...and now this comes out!! It has the setting and the gameplay! I sent him a whatsapp yesterday saying Hades>GOW. I hope he buys it - be interesting to see what he thinks given that he grew up with me hitting the arcades everyday.

Just now, Cyhwuhx said:

So is this basically top-down Dead Cells, or am I reading too much into it then?

More or less. Personally I like this a tad better so far but that might change after a couple dozen hours. Every time I think I’ve seen all there is, something new is introduced making things fresh and interesting at all times.