Hades - Buy it immediately - Slay the Spire X Bayonetta. Ish.

2 hours ago, dug said:

Just unlocked the sixth weapon

Reveal hidden contents

A machine gun?! :lol:

I think I'm beginning to get to grips with how to play this. I've got to the boss(es) of Elysium twice now. In fact the very first time I beat Meg I got all the way to them. But I died pretty quickly both times. And I still die to meg half the time, so still a long way to go yet. 

I'm impressed; it took me until I had that weapon, and some sweet boons (triple fire on the special) before I got to Elysium at all. But then I got straight through it.

I've always been a bit on the fence with Supergiant games, I've always loved the polish, art and unique ideas but the gameplay's never been quite there for me, plus I find the games kind of wanky and pretentious in general. I only really picked up Hades (on Switch) because its cheap and so many people have said it's great I felt obliged to give it a shot. I'm not even really into hack n slash type games either. For the first few hours it was as I feared, the combat was kind of basic, repetative, the game felt very Supergiant in general. Getting bashed in by Meg was getting tiresome too. I think the starting sword is a big turnoff too, its boring and combined with that the enemies you fight in the first zone aren't very interesting.

But the next few hours really improved as you start to unlock the other weapons, and see how different boons and abilities completely change the game every run. I also appreciate that the dialogue is short and snappy and the story slowly unravels as you progress. Then you start learning what the different exit icons mean and start planning routes depending on how you're doing. I finally beat Meg with a powered up bow that did a ton of splash damage with the charged up flash attack, and made it all the way to the next boss on that run. Now I dip into Hades for an hour or two most days to have a few runs. I really like how it encourages you to swap weapons and just try out different stuff with all the randomisation of boons, no run ever feels the same. I've got better at planning what kind of boons or rewards to go for, and just started unlocking the weapon aspects, which again changes things up.

I'm really enjoying it now, and even though I know eventually I could grind my way to victory regardless of skill, I'm doing my best to improve and I'm getting closer to beating the next boss every run without much overall upgrading going on, just my overall knowledge and competance with the weapons is getting better. Its a really satisfying loop where you get to make key decisions in every room about your run, which in the case of boons actually alters the gameplay as you go on. What started out as seemingly a repetative and quite basic hack n slash has opened up into a wealth of possibilities. Although getting a particularly overpowered boon combination of boons can feel a bit cheaty, a lot of the time its you in the driving seat making the choices that led to that becoming a reality, and its very satisfying when you do come across killer combinations.

The combat is a vast improvement over Supergiant's previous games. Even if you ignore the satisfying impact effects, the mechanics for each weapon are really fun. My favourite is the shield and its bullrush, and if you beef up the shields ranged attack its a really rewarding combat flow (not to mention one of the more forgiving weapons for learning thanks to the shield's block). 

Although the game does have some of the Supergiant gumph I'm not a fan of (lack of interactivity in the environments, smug characters, the writing style, the music selection etc), in Hades they don't bother me half as much as in their previous games. At its core is a deep and fun combat system with an addictive upgrade loop and a really nice strategic layer on top. I think the way the story is told is good too, just wee dialogue snippets here and there slowly building up the characters and events. I really like that every time you lose, there is something to look forward to in the hub, what characters will say based on how your run went, maybe unlock a bit more story, things to look forward to that you might be able to afford now. But its telling in the quality of the gameplay that its starting a new escape with a different weapon and boon combination that really gets you hyped for whats coming. In all previous Supergiant games the core gameplay has been somewhat lacking, it never had that X-factor, it was just part of the overall experience. Finally its the core game that shines first in this outing, and the world building and story is a nice side thread to follow along with. In summary, so far Hades has put to rest most of my fears - I might not rate it as a game of the year contender yet, but I can see how as you get deeper and deeper it might well get its hooks into me further.

Really getting into this now. 25 attempts. Still haven't got past the boss of level 3, but nearly killed one of them last time. I'm getting past Tartarus pretty much every go now.turns out meg (and variants) aren't that hard once you know what you're doing. Even the bone hydra doesn't seem as threatening now. Still getting to grips with the boons and what works well together. My best run so far was with the shield and a Dionysus boon that added hangover to the special, along with a deadalus hammer upgrade that made the special hit up to five enemies per throw. Deadly.

I've not posted in a while, it was run 60 something before I escaped.  I've actually had more fun after the escape than I did before and feel more invested in the game now than I had been previously.  Maybe it's because I've had a week off work and could actually do some runs without having to put fucking Paw Patrol on  (three kids and one TV in this house, I get huge joycon drift on the Switch so never use it handheld) but I think one of the main things I wish I'd done sooner was look at builds and how to get them. The brief look into the game mechanics I took led me to believe that "oh, everthings random so it really doesn't matter because RNG" and I think I was completely wrong about that. It's entirely possible to aim for builds and it's more fun if you have a goal in mind before going in.  Now I can go for Duo and Legendary boons and even if I don 't get out it doesn't matter because it's fun just seeing all the crazy synergies. 

I don't quite understand the rating of the boons, I.e. rare, epic and legendary. Are these ratings tied to particular boons? Or can any rating be applied to any boon? If it's the latter, what do the ratings mean? Just stronger versions of each boon? How does a rare version of a boon differ from levelling up the common version with a pomegranate?

5 minutes ago, dug said:

So pomegranates have more of an effect on rare boons than common ones?

I'm not certain, but the rarity I think effects how low and high the scaling is. So poms may have same effect between levels, but say, base damage percent increase is higher to start with on higher rarity. Mostly at lower pom levels the increase is more than if you bump the rarity, but pom increases lose their significant increase of effectiveness after the first few level ups

3 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

I've not posted in a while, it was run 60 something before I escaped.  I've actually had more fun after the escape than I did before and feel more invested in the game now than I had been previously.  Maybe it's because I've had a week off work and could actually do some runs without having to put fucking Paw Patrol on  (three kids and one TV in this house, I get huge joycon drift on the Switch so never use it handheld) but I think one of the main things I wish I'd done sooner was look at builds and how to get them. The brief look into the game mechanics I took led me to believe that "oh, everthings random so it really doesn't matter because RNG" and I think I was completely wrong about that. It's entirely possible to aim for builds and it's more fun if you have a goal in mind before going in.  Now I can go for Duo and Legendary boons and even if I don 't get out it doesn't matter because it's fun just seeing all the crazy synergies. 

I haven't started to think about builds - apart from maybe looking for an area effect on cast, or damage effects on boost. Nothing about combining them...

8 hours ago, smac said:

Run 51 and only got through Elysium once - the very first time I reached it!

Yay, run 54 and I beat the Chuckle Brothers to leave Elysium.

Spoiler

Died of poison about 5 mins later!

Fffffuuuuuuuuuck!

Nearly had that arrogant prick  

Spoiler

Theseus

Just a couple more hits would have got him, but he killed me instead. I'll get you next time, you oily shitbastard.

Edit: and the very next go, I got him. Speared the fucker right in the perineum. Right, let's see what level 4 is all about, then...

Edit 2: ok then. Wow. Things certainly aren't getting any easier!

Soooo, ambrosia. Am I better off using ambrosia to further relationships with NPCs, or swapping it for titan blood to upgrade weapons? Actually, a better question is, once you've obtained the initial six titan bloods for killing meg with each of the six weapons, is swapping ambrosia with the merchant the only way of getting more?

No spoilers please, just a yes or no to that last question would be great. :)

I think I hate Satyrs more than anything else in the game. Getting poisoned still makes me tilt even after all these runs. Any time I get something good against them, like deflecting the Poison onto them, or charm them so they poison each other, I get immense sadistic pleasure. Immense.

Good new video by ex Eurogamer journo Chris Pratt about how Supergiant did the Hades dialogue system:

In my Hades news, I must be about 20 something runs in and can get about half way through the 3rd area now, I still often get mashed by the area 2 boss though, or annoying stuff like the Witches Circle or butterfly hell balls.

I'm still really enjoying it though, every run I'm tailoring my boons and aiming for synergies or basic builds which is great fun. Now I'm more powered up getting through area 1 is a bit of a breeze but that's fine because it gives you lots of opportunity to build up your character the way you want. I'm also a big fan of the weapon upgrades, I've only got 3 or 4 so far, but I love how they can entirely change your combat style and synergise with boons in different ways to the base weapons. 

By the way, a tip for newer players, I can't be the only one who took ages to figure this out but you can give Nectar to the gods via the boon messages (i.e. the circle thing you interact with to get a new boon). They should have made this far more obvious, I only just noticed it, and so I've missed out on a ton of Keepsakes! 

Although I love the shield my new favourite weapon is the fists, just so satisfying. I just had a good run where I used the special upgrade that pulls enemies towards you, and just beefed that up to insane levels and applied Weakness as well, I was clearing out whole rooms in Area 1 in seconds! Pity I really struggled with that build on the Area 2 boss and its no good against armoured enemies. I must try to get more armour breaking boons, its definitely one of the reasons I'm struggling later on in the game.

10 hours ago, Meh said:

Did my first complete run after 24 attempts. Still playing after more than 50 hours.

There's some things I find fault with, but in general it's just... FUN.

My leet skillz are clearly in decline as I get older.

Same. I've done 35-40 attempts and only got to (what I presume is) the final boss for the first time on my last go. Did fairly well though! Got him to about 20% health. I think what helped most in that run was focussing on a couple of attacks and trying to power them up as much as possible, rather than spreading everything over the whole moveset. Although I am still prioritizing boons I've never had before, to fulfill the prophecies.

To be fair, the first time I lucked out on a boon that restored my health by 1 each second, so a lot of the fight was me running away while my health came back.

In terms of rogue-ish games, I'd put this on top of my previous favourite, Enter the Gungeon, which I'd put an obscene amount of hours into.

So I have a few characters friendship to the point where there’s a padlock, and my understanding was you need ambrosia to increase friendship from that point. But I have a bunch of that and still no option. 

What am I missing?