rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
PC Master Race

Doom - 25 years old today

22 hours ago, DaveDaveDave said:

John from DF is a clown. The Switch version of this is brilliant. It's Doom. The frame rate is stable and smooth. I've played the first three episodes in full with no gameplay issues. The only issue is it takes 10 seconds to come alive after putting it to sleep. Once you're playing it, it's Doom, portable. 

Basically for £4 this is an amazing bargain on Switch. John from DFs article is a nasty ill founded and misguided hatchet job.

Hey there, this is shitty behaviour.

I appreciate DF's analysis. Doom deserves an M2-level package (and we should at least expect an accurate version of the original) and it is disappointing that it's being chucked out for a quick buck. Nobody will be crying over wasting 4 quid, it's more that, unlike on other formats where you can roll whichever source port you want, this will now be the only version of Doom available on Switch. Here's hoping they patch out the noticable issues.

The way they've implemented the music is utterly insane. Doom shouldn't be taking up 400 megs of my Switch.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Stanley said:

Saying it's "a bad port" is also subjective, that's my only issue with his analysis. On the whole I think it's a great port, but then I've never played the PC original

LOL why are you even talking

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

Hey there, this is shitty behaviour.

I appreciate DF's analysis. Doom deserves an M2-level package (and we should at least expect an accurate version of the original) and it is disappointing that it's being chucked out for a quick buck. Nobody will be crying over wasting 4 quid, it's more that, unlike on other formats where you can roll whichever source port you want, this will now be the only version of Doom available on Switch. Here's hoping they patch out the noticable issues.

The way they've implemented the music is utterly insane. Doom shouldn't be taking up 400 megs of my Switch.

Weirdly, I didn't notice any issues. Neither have others in this thread. I have a very dim view of DFs mad nitpicking. 

• Downvote 12
  • Empathy 1

17 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

"Look how undiscerning I am!" Yeah, cool. Bye.

There's quite a few of us who are 'undiscerning'. Weird. I certainly had way more than my £4's worth out of Doom on the Switch. As have others. Bye. x

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I bought 3 games in the most recent sale but am seriously contemplating buying 3 doom games, having not completed any of the other games I already have, which are but a drop in the ocean of incompletion in which I’m already drowning. 

What is is wrong with me?

The most amazing part of Doom 3 is how they have built a base on Mars and mastered how to rearrange material at the atomic level yet somehow flashlight battery technology has regressed about 300 years.

I know I’m very much in the minority (of one?) but I liked the flashlight mechanic in Doom 3. :lol:

I really didn’t care that it didn’t make sense, it was a fun way to increase the tension. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Popo said:

I know I’m very much in the minority (of one?) but I liked the flashlight mechanic in Doom 3. :lol:

I really didn’t care that it didn’t make sense, it was a fun way to increase the tension. 

You're not alone. Its problem was really that it really didn't make sense - the fact the mod that fixed it was called the duct tape mod indicates how ridiculously easy the in-universe problem is to solve. But it added tension to the game by asking you to trade firepower for visible range - one type of safety for another. Perhaps cheaply so, but strangely effective.

49 minutes ago, Popo said:

I think it’s a great mechanic but it’s just seems at odds with the rest of the world. Perhaps they could have explained it happening for some reason.

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

I think it’s a great mechanic but it’s just seems at odds with the rest of the world. Perhaps they could have explained it happening for some reason.

Demons broke all the electrics, so they had to use torches.

Just now, Stanley said:

Demons broke all the electrics, so they had to use torches.

No, I get that they have torches. It’s a torch battery that lasts about 30 seconds before needing a recharge that’s a bit odd.

There’s a flashlight but it’s clipped to your chest so you can still use whatever weapon you like. I saw a video where he was holding one, so I guess it’s different. I assume because it’s much smaller they could only fit in a tiny battery.

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

They couldn't explain to the monsters which are the right batteries to buy.

If only they could talk to them.

• Upvote 8

Just started playing Doom 3 on PS4. I’ve tried the game on my shitty PC back in 2004 but only played an hour or so before I just had to abandon it due to the plummeting framerates. It’s a surprisingly good game still and of course it runs fantastic now. I like how it’s relatively grounded and realistic compared to Doom 2016 and other more straightforward shooters. The slow build-up towards the action and the masterful sound design create a fantastic atmosphere. You get a feeling of what’s going on at the station and small set-pieces like the short traversal of the Mars surface are given some nice weightiness. When hell literally breaks loose the ensuing chaos is conveyed perfectly, with the screaming through your earpiece and the malfunctioning lights provoking a real sense of panic and disorientation. Looking forward to playing some more. 

• Upvote 1

I realised that Doom 3 has pretty much the same plot/structure as Half-Life (understandable, since Half-Life was partly inspired by Doom in the first place). 

You start a day of work at a restricted scientific installation. You walk around and get your bearings, talking to other workers. You walk around the lounge and bathrooms. The scientists have been playing with dimensional portals and it all goes pear-shaped -- legions of monsters come through from another dimension. Most of the personnel have been turned into zombies. You must make your way to another wing of the facility, and eventually enter the dimension the monsters came from.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

I realised that Doom 3 has pretty much the same plot/structure as Half-Life (understandable, since Half-Life was partly inspired by Doom in the first place). 

You start a day of work at a restricted scientific installation. You walk around and get your bearings, talking to other workers. You walk around the lounge and bathrooms. The scientists have been playing with dimensional portals and it all goes pear-shaped -- legions of monsters come through from another dimension. Most of the personnel have been turned into zombies. You must make your way to another wing of the facility, and eventually enter the dimension the monsters came from.

And while great fun I think Doom 3 compares unfavourably with Half Life. The latter has more variety, better pacing, a more interesting narrative and a fantastic sense of place, the former is basically the same dank, narrow corridors made of metal over and over, occasionally broken up by the odd (boring) walk on the Martian surface, with the occasional monster popping out from behind a fake wall. 

Still great fun to play mind you, and the actual shooty bits are better than Half Life. At least Doom 2016 had the good sense to take those boring corridors and turn them into dynamic arenas to serve the combat.